Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

The biggest problem with this game

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By matoya

Hey everyone.

If, like myself, you've been stuck into Dark Souls this last week, you might notice a big problem that I have with the game, and from the people I've spoke to, you might too.

It's just the lack of fucking SPACE to do anything. It feels as though the game is encouraging you to play with a VERY specific playstyle (Spears/Pyro) because there's just a very distinct lack of area to move around in the combat. The biggest area so far that I feel exemplifies this is none other than fucking Blighttown. It's not necessarily the game breaking FPS that ruins the area, but moreso the fact that every fight is on a VERY precarious position, with enemies that constantly knockback.

Argh

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

I've never used Pyromancy OR spears (I use an AXE) and I got down to the second bonfire in Blight town without dying

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matoya

@Animasta said:

I've never used Pyromancy OR spears (I use an AXE) and I got down to the second bonfire in Blight town without dying

Oh it's certainly manageable, it just feels like the super tight corridors are much more condusive to "Safe" play style, IE: Rapier/Spears etc.

Or I'm just mad at how much I hate getting from bonfire 1 to 2 in Blighttown...

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By chainreaction01

It can be a pain but there are workarounds. The main way I deal with tight spaces is pure blocking and backstabs. When you are in the backstab animation, you are immune to everything so you don't have to worry about getting tossed around. Very few places are so tight where you can't even get one of those off.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

That's what the bow is for, along with strategic pulls. Clear an area, then pull the mobs back to said area wow style. True there are some instances where this isn't applicable: tunnels, corridors, etc, but I'd say 60% of the time this strat works.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptBedlam

If anything the game encourages you to use different weapons in different areas.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By jimi

I'm finding that in this game there aren't really any 1 size fits all weapons, right now I use Quelaag's fury sword for general purpose, winged spear upgraded to scale with dex for tight spaces, drake sword for groups and bow/pyromancy for ranged.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IBurningStar

I don't see it as a problem. It is just another factor you have to take into consideration when attacking. I personally haven't had too many issues with not having enough room to fight. If you are smart about it and have enough spacial awareness you can make it work.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Hmm, I have never encountered those issues really, I mostly use my Zweihander + Shield, and that's a giant-ass sword.

When I get to really narrow sections though like the corridors in the sewers or blighttown, I switch to my Winged Spear + Shield, or a regular sized slashing/thrusting weapon like the Estoc, or Drake Sword. I actually think it's neat that I have to adapt to my environments like that.

Almost every weapon in the game has a completely different moveset, and some of them work better in some areas, and vice versa.

And I personally don't feel like the game is constantly forcing me into narrow hallways, there's plenty of room to swing in most cases.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Scimitar and shield all the way. You're also expected to try and lead enemies to a place where you have the advantage.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jozzy

I know it's probably not the most efficient weapon, but I just love chopping enemies into bitesize bits with my upgraded axe. For bosses I sometimes switch to my big dark knight sword to produce some bigger numbers. Blight town was definately doable with this strategy.

EDIT: I understand why, but I think people are too hung up on maximum efficiency. Epecially for your first playthrough, just play around with what you enjoy and don't worry too much about min-maxing everything.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By benjaebe

@jozzy said:

EDIT: I understand why, but I think people are too hung up on maximum efficiency. Epecially for your first playthrough, just play around with what you enjoy and don't worry too much about min-maxing everything.

I've noticed the same thing. I think it's because a lot of people are used to Demons Souls, which had a very explicit wiki that explained what the absolute best builds were for certain playstyles or situations and people are far too used to having that repository of information telling them exactly what to do. It's kind of nice having to feel things out and explore for myself without worrying about whether my build is most efficient and all that.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aetheldod

I still dont have the game , but in Demon souls all weapons had different animations and attack patterns when wielding them with 2 hands ... broadswords had a very useful vertical light attack , haldberds had a foward stabs that is very useful etc. I have no doubt that in Dark Souls the same applies.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

I have never used a spear or pyromancy and I've beaten around 3-4 bosses. I used daggers, shortswords and longswords. Occasionally I'll even use a greatsword. There are several places where they work fine.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joeyoe31

You should try messing around with different weapons. Different weapons work for different areas. For tight enclosed spaces try a spear. For open areas try great swords or spells. It's really a matter of messing around with what's at your disposal. It also makes a nice back to have another weapon you can depend on in a bad situation. ( like your current weapon breaking or something.)

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@Aetheldod: You will be amazed.

Even weapons that are basically the same in form and shape, mostly have completely different movesets when you actually start using them.

For example my Zweihander has a certain amount of offensive strikes, but the Great Knight Sword I picked up last night, has completely different moves, even though they are both in the same category of swords. Same goes for all the differently named shortswords like the Scimitar, Mailbreaker, Shortsword, Estoc, Rapier, Dagger, etcetera. There is a immense amount of combat variety.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

@Buckfitches: That sounds great :D ..... God darn it , I wish my copy was here already :(

CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CitizenSlug

Although I haven't had too much problem with using my sword in tight spaces, I wish I would of had a more powerful short ranged or piercing weapon for the Catacombs. That place made me feel somewhat claustrophobic with it's tight corridors, stairways, narrow catwalks. All while continually getting darker and darker the further you went down, and "imminent death" around every corner. Man, was I glad to finally die and get the hell out of their for the time being.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but it just seemed odd as a game has never made me feel in such way. Of course I will eventually have to descend again, but for now I will spend some time somewhere else. Anyone else get any similar feelings from the Catacombs?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mfpantst

I do not feel the game constricts you to spear/pyro, as a matter of fact I have felt like using the spear is discouraged, so I usually use short swords or the scimitar and switch between two handed swings and shield/sword combos as situations requires.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MikeFightNight

I have never used a spear and I am a cleric. I'm doing really well with my Black Night Greatsword switching between shield and two hands. It is awesome! I have been upgrading it with twinkling titanite and am also upgrading that huge ass sword I found in the graveyard, name starts with a "Z".

Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
    thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thekingoftoilets

In Blightown, I used a scimitar and heavy soul arrow. Use the surroundings to your advantage. Depending on what weapons you are using, my attacks would "push" enemies back and 9/10 times would fall to their deaths. Rest at the bonfire in the tunnel, and then have fun with the Kellogs Queen.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By largo6661

@Matoya: i play a sorcerer and tbh i havnt really had much trouble. I think it depends on which play style you chose. Soul arrow will get you out of anything lol

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

I completely disagree. I'm playing a warrior with swords and shields and I've had no such maneuverability problems.

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pubbles

I've had an issue of hitting my sword against the wall a few times, but thats just because I went right instead of left and closed the gap to the wall too much...

The closed quarters make everything so claustrophobic, which is awesome.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Nadril
    @benjaebe said:

@jozzy said:

I've noticed the same thing. I think it's because a lot of people are used to Demons Souls, which had a very explicit wiki that explained what the absolute best builds were for certain playstyles or situations and people are far too used to having that repository of information telling them exactly what to do. It's kind of nice having to feel things out and explore for myself without worrying about whether my build is most efficient and all that.

I agree with this. When I played Demon souls they had tons of perfected builds you could use. Min-max just isn't a posibility yet in dark souls as we're going to have to discover stuff ourselves. 

Hell, not even all of the gear we can use has been discovered yet. (maybe from the Japanese wiki though)
    James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By James5955

Whenever I encounter enemies in a narrow area where I can't swing my sword I tend to just lure them out to a better area that's more manageable. There seems to always be an area like that nearby, it may not be a huge area, but at least my sword won't be bouncing off the wall every swing. Don't have this problem now that I use the lightning spear though, love that thing!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Matoya said:

@Animasta said:

Oh it's certainly manageable, it just feels like the super tight corridors are much more condusive to "Safe" play style, IE: Rapier/Spears etc.

Or I'm just mad at how much I hate getting from bonfire 1 to 2 in Blighttown...

Well considering I'm absolutely terrible with a poke/shield style....you're absolutely wrong.

I've been running around 2-handing my katana and rolling, I've been doing really well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.