Hi guys. I'm now nearly level 60 and I am still completely in the dark regarding Dark Soul's weapons. I joined the cat covenant and have gotten some of my first experiences with PvP and of course, waaay over-leveled dudes with their crazy-powerful weapons. So now, I think it's time to banish my ignorance and ask for some advice on what the heck to do with weapons (and probably armour too) in Dark Souls.
First off, I'm currently just using the Drake Sword which I upgraded with the scale from Deeproot Basin's Hydra. I'm also sporting Havel's ring and the Evil Eye, which allows me to wear stone guardian armour (except for the shield and gloves so far). I haven't got really any other weapons I use except for magic staffs and talismans - although I did upgrade a scimitar about 3 times before I got the Drake Sword. Now the Drake Sword does pretty much everything I want it to - kills most hollows in one slice, takes down most other things in a few extra, and takes good chunks outta bosses. I'm just scared after seeing other player's weapons that I'm missing out. Someone even mentioned that the Drake Sword doesn't "level" with you? No idea what this means, but doesn't it improve if you upgrade it with scales?
So a few questions:
1) What is this about scaling/leveling weapons?
2) Upgrading weapons - obviously it improves the weapon, but what about ascension? I got a stone from some butterfly guy and I gave it to the blacksmith but he has done nothing with it!
3) Unique weapons made from boss souls? What's up with them? I have one from the butterfly guy, and one from Sif. Do they upgrade existing weapons or make new ones? Can the new ones be upgraded again?
4) I noticed in the achievements it said "Best weapon through EG: Lightning reinforcement" - what does this mean? Can I get any achievements with the Drake sword?
5) Can all weapons have stuff put on them like pine resin?
6) Does it really matter about what weapon you use? If I keep upgrading the drake sword could I just keep using it over and over?
7) What are the best weapons? I like the slashing style of the Drake Sword (not spears or thrusting or large weapons) so are there any good ones using that?
Also a few questions about armour:
1) Pretty much ditto regarding most questions about armour - upgrading, best ones, unique ones etc...?
2) I'm using stone guardian armour at the moment - it's pretty heavy and forces me to use Havel's ring, and it can't seem to be upgraded. Is there a better option?
And finally, some questions about rings:
1) Like I said, I'm using Havel's Ring (+50 carry cap) and the Evil Eye (Absorb health from fallen enemies) - I take the Evil eye off for bosses and put on the Wolf Ring (+50 poise). I'm pretty much tied to using Havel's Ring until I find lighter/better armour than Stone Guardian. However, is there a better option for a ring combo? I want to use that wood grain one which makes you flip like mad. Damn I wish there were more ring slots. :..(
Well if you read through all that lol and actually still wanna give me some advice, I'd be very very grateful! : )