Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Whats worse, Blighttown or Valley of Defilement?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

I just went through Blighttown and I gotta say as bad as it is - not nearly as awful as Valley of Defilement was for me..5-2 especially since it was so open in the beginning.

I think out of everything in that area I probably hate those mosquitos the most. My halbard could not for the life of me, literally, hit them.

That one bonfire that restores your health but doesn't serve as an actual bonfire was also a pretty good troll.

I lost 20,000 souls because I rolled off the wooden elevator thing and hit some invisible wall that knocked me back into the abyss.

The framerate issues only happened in a few places for me, mainly right at the start when you get into the torch lit areas. Glad to say it wasn't as awful as most people made it out to be.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I got horrible fucking frame rate when I was first feeling out Blighttown and I would say it was legitimately terrifying.

Being suspended on a 2x4 in the dark and having everything just chugging like a bitch does things to a person's psyche.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jimi

Valley, no question. Poison seems to be less of an issue in this game, i'm not sure but I swear I took way more damage from it in Demons Souls. Also the swamp part of Blighttown is very short compared to 5-2.

The frame rate in blighttown can get pretty rough at times though, but I used a terrible pc for gaming for a long time so low fps doesn't particularly bother me.

The big ogre like monsters in BT were also easier to deal with than the huge goblins of world 5. Mainly because you don't ever fight them in the swamp where your movement is inhibited.

impulse1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By impulse1987

Valley of Defilement is worse, by a lot, for a few reasons. It's longer, you're generally fighting above a bottomless abyss and your right, that big open space in the beginning of the second act is horrible.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Jimi said:

Valley, no question. Poison seems to be less of an issue in this game, i'm not sure but I swear I took way more damage from it in Demons Souls. Also the swamp part of Blighttown is very short compared to 5-2.

The frame rate in blighttown can get pretty rough at times though, but I used a terrible pc for gaming for a long time so low fps doesn't particularly bother me.

The big ogre like monsters in BT were also easier to deal with than the huge goblins of world 5. Mainly because you don't ever fight them in the swamp where your movement is inhibited.

Poison was more dangerous? The poison dart Toxin rapes me! O_o I can't for the life of me survive it without a bonfire, even without getting hit by anything else. Also, purple moss does nothing.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimi

@TobbRobb: That wasn't poison, that's toxin, you get poison from other enemies and the swamp later on. Plus if you block that dart there is no chance of getting poisoned with it.

It's basically the plague of this game.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tekmojo

I really don't understand how you can play test blighttown and release it in that state. Something that needs to be addressed in the upcoming patches. Only reason why blight gets my vote, I love exploring but my god its super frustrating.

Avatar image for thehermaeusmora
    TheHermaeusMora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TheHermaeusMora

@TobbRobb: well your talking about toxin which is super poison and you need a blooming purple moss thing, that can cure you

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kazzurak

@TobbRobb said:

@Jimi said:

Poison was more dangerous? The poison dart Toxin rapes me! O_o I can't for the life of me survive it without a bonfire, even without getting hit by anything else. Also, purple moss does nothing.

You need the purple moss with white flowers or something and if you use the spider shield (red shield with a black spider on it) you can block 100% poison / toxin with it which helps tremendously

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Kazzurak: What, does it actually say anywhere on the shield that it blocks poison, or have people just found out? Because I have two spiders and didn't know.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I agree with Valley, too. Blighttown, despite it's rate crushing lack of frames, wasn't particularly difficult for me. The toxic dart shooting turds were a real nuisance, but fortunately they don't respawn so once they were out of the way it was all dandy. Plus Blighttown's poisonous swamp got nuttin' on VoD's.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm shocked it has taken this long for this thread to be made.

Blighttown is a cake-walk once you kill the blowgun dudes.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kazzurak

@TobbRobb said:

@Kazzurak: What, does it actually say anywhere on the shield that it blocks poison, or have people just found out? Because I have two spiders and didn't know.

it doesnt say directly on the stats but if you read the description it says in the end something about it being poison resistant or something like that

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valley of Defilement, easily. The worst part about Blighttown is the terrible framerate, and the non-respawning blowgun guys. I had far more trouble out of multiple Giant Goblins, Meat Cleaver Black Phantom, and Plague Babies.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By benjaebe

Valley of Defilement. By far. The Giant Goblins are the worst things ever.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By peacebrother

Those sound like awful places to be.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jimi

@Melvargh: The world of dark souls is universally a bad place.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

@benjaebe said:

Valley of Defilement. By far. The Giant Goblins are the worst things ever.

Three of them, in a swamp, with minor enemies all around and rolling in the swamp water causes you to go into an unbreakable "oh no I'm stuck" animation.

I really despised Valley of Defilement but I'll probably go back to Blighttown to get some of the drops like the katana and so forth.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By imsh_pl

Valley is way worse. I just finished Blighttown today and it wasn't actually all that hard.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By drace

Just lost 25,000 souls in Blighttown. Beat the Gaping Dragon and wanted to check it out. Got knocked off the ledge two times in a row. Pretty pissed about that...

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god. I actually got through 5-1 without a single death, but when 5-2 came along..well fuck. 

Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Theresonlyone

Valley was worse but the awful, awful, terrible, terrible frame rate.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By mason

Once I defeated world 5 in Demon's Souls, I actually started to like this level, but only because after days upon days of trying and hating it, I finally made it my bitch.

For me the worst part of VoD wasn't the poison swamp itself, but the fact that the lighting is so dark that I could almost never see where I was going or anticipate what was attacking me. It was oppressive feeling like you were wandering forever in this pitch black swamp never knowing if you were on the right track, all the while your HP keeps dropping steadily. Blighttown gets dark in spots, but never impossible to see.

From what people are saying it sounds like they took the worst parts about Valley of Defilement and split it between Tomb of Giants (Darkness) and Blighttown (confusing, messy layout and poison).

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I liked the Valley.

I did not like Blighttown. Mostly because of the framerate, because the actual level was pretty easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.