Pre-Load now available on Steam

#1 Posted by Perdido (59 posts) -

As the title states preloading is now available on Steam for Darksiders II.

only 5.2 Gb

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

I wonder how big Max Payne would have been if it weren't for all of those pre-rendered cutscenes. From what I've seen, Darksiders II looks great, and yet it could almost fit on a regular DVD.

#3 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@Perdido said:

only 5.2 Gb

Ha... The original was like 10... Hmm...

#4 Posted by JoeyRavn (4993 posts) -

But... I bought it on the THQ Store! I can't preload it yet! Not until they give me the CD key...

#firstworldproblems

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

But... I bought it on the THQ Store! I can't preload it yet! Not until they give me the CD key...

#firstworldproblems

I messaged support, and it doesn't sound like you'll get a key. They told me I would download an installer that installed the game to Steam. Seems like an awkward way to handle it.

#6 Posted by Perdido (59 posts) -

@phrosnite: maybe its they're using better compression tech.

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4993 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@JoeyRavn said:

#firstworldproblems

I messaged support, and it doesn't sound like you'll get a key. They told me I would download an installer that installed the game to Steam. Seems like an awkward way to handle it.

That is weird, mostly since THQ would need to handle all the downloading. You would expect that companies (especially those in financial dire straits like THQ) tried to save as much bandwidth as possible by letting player download of a third-party server. You have to have Steam to play the game, regardless of where you get the game.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12090 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

@Perdido said:

only 5.2 Gb

The sequel's actually a text adventure.

#TheTextAdventureIsntDead

#9 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Yeah, Steam generally reserves the preloads for those who bought from the Steam store. Kind of an incentive to not go and buy elsewhere, since the keys are usually distributed to other DD sites after the game's been released on Steam, or just a bit before. Not a big deal considering I can save 25% if I buy it elsewhere.

#10 Edited by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@AlisterCat said:

@JoeyRavn said:

#firstworldproblems

That is weird, mostly since THQ would need to handle all the downloading. You would expect that companies (especially those in financial dire straits like THQ) tried to save as much bandwidth as possible by letting player download of a third-party server. You have to have Steam to play the game, regardless of where you get the game.

Yeah it doesn't seem smart. Hopefully it is a miscommunication, but the email I received said this exactly:

You will receive a downloadable install that installs the game into Steam. Metro2033 is a Steam Works title as well that installs in Steam
#11 Posted by Perdido (59 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@phrosnite said:

@Perdido said:

only 5.2 Gb

The sequel's actually a text adventure.

#TheTextAdventureIsntDead

I'd play it.

#12 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

@AlisterCat: I hope it get's permanently attached, because I don't want to pay digital river's ridiculous "pay to download again" fee.

#13 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@Perdido said:

@phrosnite: maybe its they're using better compression tech.

I hope they are because they've said many times that the first area in Darksiders 2 is bigger than the whole first game.

#14 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Ahhh having the files on my PC but not being able to play it is such a tease >.<

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

@phrosnite: Darksiders 1 had a load of pre-rendered video too.

#16 Posted by Springfart (339 posts) -

i thought it was out for a second there

#17 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@AlisterCat: I hope it get's permanently attached, because I don't want to pay digital river's ridiculous "pay to download again" fee.

They HAVE to provide a steam key to the drm in Steam to kick in, so you should be fine.

#18 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@JoeyRavn said:

#firstworldproblems

That's annoying. Oh well.

#19 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

im concerned about getting my key or installer or whatever. The thq store website is super janky and I'm sort of wishing I had just gone through steam or amazon

#20 Posted by RedRavN (409 posts) -

Same here. It made economic sense to go through THQ to get the free season pass but now I'm having doubts whether I will be able to preload at all. Well at least the download is not huge. I really hope the game gets bound to my steam account.

#21 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

Email THQ if you're worried. I just sent them one basically saying "yo, pre-load or I'm shopping elsewhere next time." There's a contact form on the site.

#22 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2131 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

Same here. It made economic sense to go through THQ to get the free season pass but now I'm having doubts whether I will be able to preload at all. Well at least the download is not huge. I really hope the game gets bound to my steam account.

Last I checked it required Steam to run, meaning it has ties to it. Probably also means it registers the key to Steam, binding the game to it. I am not sure if there is a game that uses Steam yet does not bind to it to be honest.

#23 Posted by JoeyRavn (4993 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

I was half-joking :P Not being able to preload the game is not a big deal, especially if the trade off is having all the DLC for free. I assume that the game will be associated to your Steam account, just like every single game with Steamworks out there. There's no reason for it not to do it, really.

#24 Posted by Butano (1746 posts) -

Meh, I ordered it through THQ cause you get the season pass for free. I can wait 30 minutes for it to download on launch day.

#25 Posted by Lagaroth (171 posts) -

I don't see anything about pre-loading in the 'News' or on the game's page. Usually they make a big deal about it.

#26 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Note that Steam preloading showing an error "Pre-load suspended" after downloading the whole thing seems to be normal, it will resume once the game is out so you can download the activation code.

#27 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1471 posts) -

I just preloaded it. Funny thing, I was fine with not getting the game at launch and waiting a while before purchasing it, but now I'm staring at the Play button and shaking my leg a bunch. Goddamnit ._.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.