Rumor: Darkstalkers 4 in the works, Yoshinori Ono presiding

#1 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4735 posts) -

Capcom is reviving, revamping and repackaging fighting games almost faster than we can keep track of them but, if the latest rumor is correct, yet another series is set for a comeback. Specifically, DarkStalkers 4 is allegedly in the works, with Capcom's fighting guru Yoshinori Ono heading up the proceedings, according to a source at GamesBeat. The game will reportedly run on a modified version of the Street Fighter X Tekken engine.

Capcom has been quietly pushing the Darkstalkers series back into the public consciousness recently, having released the original Darkstalkers on PSN late last year, and a recent ESRB rating points to the possible PSN release of Darkstalkers 3 as well. The company also recently registered a new Darkstalkers trademark in Europe. For what it's worth, Capcom has been teasing the possibility of a return to Darkstalkers for several years now.

linky the link monster

Well, here we are in the rumor mill once again. Hopefully this time it's true though. In any case, I saw this headline and just came furiously all over my desk due to the excitement. We got any other hardcore Darkstalkers fans out there in the GB community? Mildly interested? Not interested at all? Discuss!

#2 Edited by JJOR64 (19048 posts) -

I guess the guy that leaked this also leaked a lot of other Capcom stuff, so I would believe a Darkstalkers 4 is coming.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

The only Darkstalkers I played was that one on the PSP with awful load times. I don't know what makes them different from Street Fighter apart from the designs.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

No Midnight Bliss, no sale.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

So how are they gonna reconcile the difficulty of animating the myriad deformation-based attacks in 3D?

Isn't that an excuse they made at some point?

#6 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

interesting that it will run on the SFx tekken engine, kind of excited to hear more.

#7 Posted by TechHits (1390 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

So how are they gonna reconcile the difficulty of animating the myriad deformation-based attacks in 3D? Isn't that an excuse they made at some point?

most likely by having less playable characters.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Mildly excited.

Enjoyed the original on my cousin's old Saturn, always liked the style.

#9 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

My renewed interest in fighting games has already died out. Call me again in ten years.

#10 Posted by MikeFightNight (1117 posts) -

HELL YES!!!!

My waning interest in fighting games has been reborn!

I still had a candle lit for hand drawn sprites as the series has always had amazing art work, but I know that would of been crazy since Capcom doesn't do that anymore. I just hope it plays like Darkstalkers 3.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4735 posts) -

@McGhee said:

My renewed interest in fighting games has already died out. Call me again in ten years.

ey yo baby, lemme get yo number

#12 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I've always been fasinated by the Darkstalkers character design. Pretty excited about this and I hope they use the SF4 art style.

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Well after they had that image saying "Darkstalkers are not dead!" at Comic con, I would expect there to be at least something to do with Darkstalkers in the works.

#14 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

So how are they gonna reconcile the difficulty of animating the myriad deformation-based attacks in 3D? Isn't that an excuse they made at some point?

I guess the same way the handled Morrigan's Soul Eraser in MvC3: take it out.

#15 Posted by damswedon (3200 posts) -

Finally Capcom revives a fighting game franchise you can care about. No really Darkstalkers is the only Capcom fighter I care about.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@TechHits: I don't know how they would get away with that in the modern era of 30+ roster sizes in mainstream fighting games.

@WilltheMagicAsian: That would suck majorly because the crazy morphing is what gave Darkstalkers its unique flavor. I can't even imagine what they would do for Lord Raptor.

#17 Posted by Gaff (1847 posts) -

No Rival Schools, no sale.

#18 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Can't they just launch a new IP?

#19 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@TechHits: I don't know how they would get away with that in the modern era of 30+ roster sizes in mainstream fighting games.

@WilltheMagicAsian: That would suck majorly because the crazy morphing is what gave Darkstalkers its unique flavor. I can't even imagine what they would do for Lord Raptor.

Yeah, it would, Darkstalkers just doesn't translate well to 3D. I really doubt they'd spend the time making this 2D though. Is it even confirmed if it's more like Vampire Hunter or Vampire Savior? I'd assume it's more like Savior if SFxT is the direction Capcom is heading towards with dial-a-combos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.