Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

A few questions about Destiny.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Hey folks,

So listening to Brad talk about Destiny lately as gotten me a little interested to check it out for myself. Whilst I did get a chance to play the beta for a very short time (like an hour I think) I didn't really get enough time to experience what the heck Destiny is all about. Now I've heard all the negative talk but Brad seems surprisingly infatuated with the game and there's been discussions on the bombcast each week for the past month or so. Thing is, how single player friendly is Destiny? I generally don't always enjoy playing with other people though I know Destiny as players scattered around the worlds so you do run into other players. There seems to be some gameplay mechanics of interest to me and the shooting felt okay from my time with it. Thing is I'm concerned the game will be restricted if I'm not part of a combined group constantly working together. If indeed that is the case then I'll pass on giving Destiny a try, but it does intrigued me by what Brad as said about the game in general, despite its many many flaws.

Should note I loved the pants of Borderlands 2 and I have recently gone from a deep pure dislike of Diablo 3 to "boy, this game pretty much rocks now" so that gives you an idea of where I stand. I know the loot system is less giving than either of those two but that doesn't bother me a great deal.

I'd be interested to know some opinions, especially from those who have tried to tackle this game single player.

Thanks.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Story is awful and almost non-existent, and most other aspects of Destiny encourage / require co-op. Personally, unless you enjoy the idea of running the same mission over and over, or unless you enjoy the competitive multiplayer--which I do, thankfully--I'd skip it for now and at least wait for a price drop.

I loved Borderlands 2 as well, and Destiny is no borderlands.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Anund

I'd say getting to 20 and seeing the story (what little there is) is very much soloable. However, if you really don't like PvP and don't want to play any co-op at all, even with random match making, then there really is no point to Destiny.

However, if you don't mind co-op, even if you don't have friends who play, you can make it pretty far on your own just playing strikes with random people using the match maker and playing PvP in the Crusible.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

90% of the game can be played completely solo, but that last 10% is probably the best part of the game (high level strikes and raid). The part that you can play solo is the part that you rush through to get to the interesting stuff.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By spraynardtatum

You can do the entire game by yourself. Well...everything except the raid and weekly strikes (because for some reason they didn't include matchmaking for weekly strikes like they did normal strikes). All the social bullshit is completely avoidable honestly. Why anyone thinks it is a redeeming part of the game is beyond me, I'd say it's the most half baked stuff about it. Running into other players on the map amounts to...seeing other players on the map and possibly pointing at one. It's completely useless. There's no internal party system and you need to go to the PS4 UI in order to invite someone into your firesquad. IT'S DUMB AND CUMBERSOME!

I've played through my entire game by myself up to level 25 so far and all the online crap is superfluous. I jumped in and helped my low level friend out a bit but I honestly don't think that counts because I was so overpowered I felt like I was ruining his experience.

I'd say wait to buy it. Buy this game when it's $20 or max $30. It's not a complete game in my opinion. And don't buy the DLC because Bungie won't learn if you do.

The social features are bad and essentially pointless. Unless you're talking about the raid...which at that point it's just mind blowingly convoluted. I honestly think if you wait till the game is $20 there will be matchmaking for that as well.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@anund said:

I'd say getting to 20 and seeing the story (what little there is) is very much soloable. However, if you really don't like PvP and don't want to play any co-op at all, even with random match making, then there really is no point to Destiny.

However, if you don't mind co-op, even if you don't have friends who play, you can make it pretty far on your own just playing strikes with random people using the match maker and playing PvP in the Crusible.

Pretty much this. I will throw out there that the story isn't worth seeing, sadly even borderlands (whose story is completely stupid and just an excuse to make you go somewhere and shoot some guys) has a better plot. The only question you need to ask yourself is "Do I have friends to play with?" "Do I like the Destiny version of PVP A LOT?". If the answers to those two questions are no I would avoid the game.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By theacidskull

Well, the co-op ain't the problem, in fact, you can complete the game completely on your won. Though you may need to grind a lot in order to level up to progress through the story, that or be smart like me and outsmart most of the enemies you face by taking short cuts.

However, like I said, there are far greater issues at hand. For example, destiny doesn't have a story, and no I'm not overstating it. Throughout the entire game, I had no idea what the fuck I was doing. Why was I fighting the fallen? Why did they want to kill me? Why did they battle the vex? Why did the vex battle the cabal? All of these conflicts can and HAVE to be narrowed down to simple territory squabbles, thereby eliminating any kind of potential substance. The gameplay is great, but it's simply not enough to keep you engaged,and a lot of the bosses are simply remodeled/recolored and larger versions of the normal enemies you face almost every single level. Even if these battles are fun, which they are, they lack any meaning, so basically you just fight these guys because they are tough, big and want to kill you, and that's about as much as you get. So, let me say it like this, if you believe that the gameplay can carry the whole game on it's shoulders, then you'll enjoy destiny, if not, then i'd say to look for some other fun shooter, like Wolfenstein: The New Order.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I've played the game entirely solo (i.e. without friends) though level 25. Done all the regular versions of strikes with matchmaking. I've played 11 crucible matches, they're ok, just not my thing.

I may be the only person on the planet who likes the patrol missions.

Every criticism you hear about the game is valid. It's just the shooting is really fun, and the game is beautiful to look at.

I'd probably wait for a sale at this point, but if you need something to play, you could do worse.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yes, you can do most of the game solo, but honestly, I'd wait for awhile, see what they do with the DLC, and then make a decision. I've said this before in other forums, but it's worth repeating: Although Bungie has the experience and chops to make a really good shooter, they clearly had no idea what they were doing when designing an MMO and it doesn't appear they particularly interested in learning either.

Even for an MMO, Destiny is exceptionally repetitious. Now, all MMOs are fundamentally about repetition, but the really good ones distract the player from that. In WoW for example, there is always "something else" to do. If you get bored questing, you craft. If you get bored crafting, you PvP. Get bored with PvP and you go battle your pets or find whatever silly festival is going on.

Destiny has none of that. There are only 20 story missions and in addition to the story being completely incomprehensible, all the mission mostly use parts of the same four planetary maps currently available. Even the "special" events they have been running for the last few weeks are just harder versions of the same stuff. I've heard the raid is really good, but it's likely I will never know unless matchmaking is added in, since I don't have a regular enough schedule to be able to find time to sit down for it.

It's a shame. There is certainly the framework of a really good game there, but the current level of content isn't even close to taking advantage of it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

Thanks for all the opinions on the game, sounds like I'll be best to wait and see. There are a few games I'm interested in so maybe it's best I check those out.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Thing is I'm concerned the game will be restricted if I'm not part of a combined group constantly working together.

You will not see any of Destiny's best content and moments if you play alone. It is a cooperative challenging game. If you don't intent to play it as such, you're going to be disappointed.

If indeed that is the case then I'll pass on giving Destiny a try, but it does intrigued me by what Brad as said about the game in general, despite its many many flaws.

Maybe just adjust your hard opinion that you should play the game by yourself? I never play games cooperatively usually, Destiny made me add 20 people to my friends list in a couple of days and I'm having a blast with it. Just because you don't want to play cooperatively normally, doesn't mean you won't like it here.

Should note I loved the pants of Borderlands 2 and I have recently gone from a deep pure dislike of Diablo 3 to "boy, this game pretty much rocks now" so that gives you an idea of where I stand. I know the loot system is less giving than either of those two but that doesn't bother me a great deal.

Destiny is not a loot driven game. It is a cooperative game that happens to have loot. If you are expecting loot drops every couple of minutes and expect to see crazy gear, you're going to be disappointed.

I'd be interested to know some opinions, especially from those who have tried to tackle this game single player.

I've played the story mode completely singleplayer and thought it was okay, but not great. Post-endgame, I started playing with other people and it reached its high point when I did the Raid. Best multiplayer experience I've ever had and I completely love Destiny now.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To like Destiny you have to

1. Be into the competitive halo multiplayer to some extent since it's similar to destiny's competitive multiplayer and helps alleviate the grind after lvl 20 by a lot.
    2. Really like the standard FPS gameplay of Destiny
    3. Be into doing missions in coop. The best part of the game is the raid and it's super coop focused.
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Destiny is not a loot driven game. It is a cooperative game that happens to have loot. If you are expecting loot drops every couple of minutes and expect to see crazy gear, you're going to be disappointed.

I don't know man. Those exotics are pretty awesome. I've lust over my teammates' Hawkmoon, The Last Word, Thunderlord and Ice Breaker quite a few times. I'm also really into that Invective I got and when I see Patience And Time showing up on the store I'll buy it at any price. Loot in this game is pretty alright. I've played diablo 3 to completion with some friends in coop and the loot in that was plentiful but boring as hell. It was a bunch of cold numbers put into a damage and defense equation. When you get The Last Word in Destiny the game turns into a western and your character becomes revolver ocelot.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion said:

I don't know man. Those exotics are pretty awesome. I've lust over my teammates' Hawkmoon, The Last Word, Thunderlord and Ice Breaker quite a few times. I'm also really into that Invective I got and when I see Patience And Time showing up on the store I'll buy it at any price. Loot in this game is pretty alright. I've played diablo 3 to completion with some friends in coop and the loot in that was plentiful but boring as hell. It was a bunch of cold numbers put into a damage and defense equation. When you get The Last Word in Destiny the game turns into a western and your character becomes revolver ocelot.

Yeah, I have Thorn and it is awesome, but exotics are definitely not something most people will be able to acquire.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dussck

I'm still surprised how unforgivingly difficult this game can be.
    Last night I played with my standard team of 2 friends and we failed the weekly heroic. We played at level 22 and our team consisted of a level 22, 25 and myself am 27. I don't know what it was, I've finished numerous level 24 strikes with just 2 guys, but this one had some modifiers on it that made it almost undoable. Even as a 27 I was one shotted by lvl 22 enemies (the extra void damage was one of them).

One time we had the last boss at probably 1% hp, but we died. Totally cool if a game is a challenge, but this is kind of inconsistent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.