Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Release Date September 9, 2014

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    No Caption Provided

Bungie has confirmed that Destiny will be released on September 9, 2014.

In a post on the game’s official site, Bungie community manager DeeJ wrote that Destiny “has always represented a new beginning for our team. It was born from brave possibilities. We dreamed of a renewed and independent Bungie. We found partners willing to bet big on some crazy new ideas with us.”

“We first shared the design pillars of Destiny less than one year ago,” the post continues. “We promised to redefine what players should expect from a Bungie game. We said we wanted to change the way people play games together. We set our bar high. For us, Destiny represents a once in a lifetime opportunity. Since then, Destiny has continued to reveal its promise. Every new build brings us closer to our original vision. With those goals in sight, we intend to use every moment from now until the release of the game to ensure that Destiny lives up to your expectations, and our own.”

Destiny’s beta will start in summer 2014 and, as Bungie previously announced, it will come first to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 players.

"The early support and enthusiasm for Destiny has been inspiring and humbling," DeeJ concluded. "We believe this is the right decision for our game, our studio, and our passionate community. Thank you for coming along with us on this adventure. See you starside."

Source

A bit later than i expected but good to see we have a release date.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sad that it got pushed back a tiny bit, but if that's what it takes to make this game as good as it should be then that's fine. Also gives me more time to afford a PS4!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I know it's sort of the hope for the core audience (that loves a ton of games that don't gain mainstream attention) but I wonder whether this or Titanfall will actually become the new household names that Cod or Halo are right now? Lightning-in-a-bottle broad mindshare isn't as easy having a quality product from "The team that brought you...". If they're great I'm sure they'll grab 4-7 million from the gaming audience, but the way to the other side is beyond the prediction of anyone it seems.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Going up against Halo.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Me am excited. Beta get.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alexpiercey

@bigjeffrey: Halo will probably be November, but yeah it's pretty close.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By donutfever

Day before my birthday. Cool cool.

Week I start university. Not so cool.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

Holy shit, that's a long time from now.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: My thoughts exactly...I figured this would be vying for my playing time with Titanfall, but apparently not. Oh well...it gives me something else to look forward to in the fall besides another AC game.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll probably just get both Halo 5 and Destiny. From what I remember, Destiny is supposed to come out this year, with its "Comet" Expansion Pack coming out next year, and Destiny 2 in 2015, and so on. 10 years sounds pretty good to be doing that.

And there's confirmed PvP in Destiny. It better be fucking good, though..

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And there's confirmed PvP in Destiny. It better be fucking good, though..

Considering Bungie is responsible for some of the best competitive mutiplayer games of the past decade, I think chances are the PvP will be good.

@brendan said:

I know it's sort of the hope for the core audience (that loves a ton of games that don't gain mainstream attention) but I wonder whether this or Titanfall will actually become the new household names that Cod or Halo are right now? Lightning-in-a-bottle broad mindshare isn't as easy having a quality product from "The team that brought you...". If they're great I'm sure they'll grab 4-7 million from the gaming audience, but the way to the other side is beyond the prediction of anyone it seems.

You have to remember, Destiny is on every system while Titanfall is not. It's a weird situation considering a contributing factor for Call of Duty taking over the mind-share from Halo was that Halo was an exclusive series and COD was on everything. Now it's possible the same factor may come in to play with basically the same developers, but in opposite positions.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonPixel

@ll_exile_ll: I'm very curious how competitive is going to work, as far as I understand Destiny is basically a MMO with Guns, that kind of breaks competitive multiplayer.

For as little as we have seen, Titan Fall looks more appealing to me. Thou I'm getting both for sure.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@donpixel said:

@ll_exile_ll: I'm very curious how competitive is going to work, as far as I understand Destiny is basically a MMO with Guns, that kind of breaks competitive multiplayer.

I trust Bungie to make it work. The Halo games put such a huge emphasis on balance, I can't image they'd abandon that philosophy. They've also stated repeatedly that though the game has a ton of weapons with different stats and stuff, the game isn't about number crunching but rather player skill based action.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That date isn't surprising. It's fine by me and sounds like Bungie taking their time and due diligence, plus multi platform considerations. They have their autonomy with Activision which is very cool imo.

Very much anticipating this game. Mega trust too.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Wait, I thought this was a spring game!

Oh well.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#18 jeanluc  Staff

Of course it comes out right when school starts back up. Of course.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@jeanluc said:

This, a thousand times. I was looking forward to doing nothing but playing Destiny next summer.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ProfessorK

Well if I look at the bright side, I have more than enough time to save up for a PS4 before this comes out. Was soooooooooo hoping for a spring release. Makes me wonder if it was actually going to come out sooner and just pulled a Watch Dogs in secret.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wonder when THE DIVISION will lauch it is a 2014 game (i will be a big fall Halo 5, Destiny, The Order 1886)

i think that the Division and Destiny are almost the same concept just in deferent universes

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

The day before my birthday.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a bummer. This is my most anticipated game on the PS4 and signs were pointing towards a spring release. This is gonna be just like the long ass wait for the original Borderlands game, from its initial reveal in Game Informer to its actual release date.

Goddamn it, I need something to scratch that Borderlands itch!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@mooseymcman: I could have sworn they said April at some point. Am I crazy?? Or is that when the beta starts?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A whole bunch of new and old screenshots for ya:

New screenshot #1
    New screenshot #1
    New screenshot #2
    New screenshot #2
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Originally Posted by urk

It's funny, though, because in the Mars screenshot with the tiny Hunter walking in the dunes, I was really just scouting to get a sense of where I might be able to grab a cool screenshot, and I found myself just staring up in awe at Phobos rotating in the sky with all the debris and atmosphere curling off its edges. On a whim, I detached the camera and pulled back, back, way back, and got the result you see in the gallery.

So, the "we're not doing science" thing is really about giving our artists license to blow people away with the perfect mix of stunning vistas and visuals, but that doesn't mean our graphics engineers aren't doing hardcore math in the engine to do all the delicious simulation stuff that makes each world feel simultaneously super grounded and awe-inspiring (while letting you smash into a bad guy and send his massive, limp corpse spiraling away with comedic force).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spraynardtatum

A whole bunch of new and old screenshots for ya:

New screenshot #1
    New screenshot #1
    New screenshot #2
    New screenshot #2
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Originally Posted by urk

It's funny, though, because in the Mars screenshot with the tiny Hunter walking in the dunes, I was really just scouting to get a sense of where I might be able to grab a cool screenshot, and I found myself just staring up in awe at Phobos rotating in the sky with all the debris and atmosphere curling off its edges. On a whim, I detached the camera and pulled back, back, way back, and got the result you see in the gallery.

So, the "we're not doing science" thing is really about giving our artists license to blow people away with the perfect mix of stunning vistas and visuals, but that doesn't mean our graphics engineers aren't doing hardcore math in the engine to do all the delicious simulation stuff that makes each world feel simultaneously super grounded and awe-inspiring (while letting you smash into a bad guy and send his massive, limp corpse spiraling away with comedic force).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thanks for posting all of these! I quoted you so that I can look at them again

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@falconer said:

@jeanluc said:

This, a thousand times. I was looking forward to doing nothing but playing Destiny next summer.

It seemed like the perfect summer game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is coming out on the same month I was born. I guess I'll get it on the 18 of September since that will be my birthday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.