Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Thoughts on Destiny Beta's stability/performance

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know there is a general thread about thoughts on the Destiny Beta already, but I wanted to see how people's experiences have been directly regarding the performance/stability of the beta. I know this is just a beta, and most (I'm hoping) of any problems people are having will be ironed out by launch, but I was still interested to hear how it's been for people.

I want to know about any crashes or network issues people are having, and I would also be interested to hear how the game performs on the various platforms. I'm interested in the technical aspect here, not opinions on other factors, like gun designs, story, or how much you like the multiplayer maps (unless particular maps run worse/better than others, then by all means, let me know).

My experience has been generally good on the PS4. I've played every day since the beta started, minus the Monday it was down, of course, and it's been good overall. The only major problem I had happened today. I had a couple of instances where it just booted me straight out of the game to the main title screen and gave me a network error message. I happily got it up and running in just a few more minutes, but it was really weird. Up until this point, it's been running silky smooth everyday, then it does this out of nowhere. It could be because there are probably more people logged on now, but there are probably going to be a lot more when the game releases, so I hope it was just a fluke. Again, I know it's a beta. I'm just telling of my experiences. I'm not bashing it here, and I still plan on buying it on release.

From a performance standpoint, it's been pretty solid on the PS4. The frame rate only starts to noticeably dip when there are a ton of enemies and/or effects on the screen at once. So, aside from the two crashes, and some minor frame rate dips, it's been pretty solid, and I'm betting Bungie will probably have a lot of the technical problems fixed by launch. (or at least I hope so)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a single problem on my end. Playing it on the PS4.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Aside from one two scripting bugs, I haven't had any issues on Xbox One.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

PS4 here too. I played a ton of the alpha and I'm playing a ton of the beta, I've gotten all three classes to level 8, and I haven't had a single performance complaint til the last 2 or so days when I got the boot-out network error you described, and one time in a strike it started getting kind of laggy. Damage numbers were showing up a good 1.5-2 seconds after the bullets hit.

Overall I've been super impressed with the stability and quality of the game.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also PS4. The only issue I have is that I suck at it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By probablytuna

I've occasionally get kicked out but I don't know if it's a problem on my connection end or the game's network.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problem so far on Xbox One.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd say its been remarkably stable, given the crush of people who must be trying to access it. I've had three instances of actually being disconnected, all taking place in the Crucible. In all cases, the game just returned me to orbit rather than knocking me back to the title screen or the PS4 home screen.

Other than that, I've had a few instances in the Tower where I get some lag and the game tells me it is trying to "contact the Destiny sever" but I don't actually get disconnected.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

0 problems on PS4. One time it took a while to load though.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've played about 3 hours now on the Xbox One version, and it seems pretty stable. I kind of agree with Jeff's thoughts on the latest bombcast...it really does feel like an evolved PSO. Which is a very good thing. Hopefully they do have more environments and some more variety later in the game...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does motion sickness count as stability/performance? :(

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Corevi

On PS3, played over 20 hours, some framerate dips especially in the tower but otherwise fine. Only gotten disconnected a few times and that's when I was joining a crucible, never midmatch.

This is all a stress test for the servers, and I would say they've held up amazingly. When the beta first went live Bungie.net and PSN both crumbled but the Destiny servers were fine and worked perfectly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pvp is laggy after the "maintenance" on ps4, last 4 matches i've had in 2 days have been unplayable.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

On PS3, played over 20 hours, some framerate dips especially in the tower but otherwise fine. Only gotten disconnected a few times and that's when I was joining a crucible, never midmatch.

This is all a stress test for the servers, and I would say they've held up amazingly. When the beta first went live Bungie.net and PSN both crumbled but the Destiny servers were fine and worked perfectly.

Same here. I've played it on the PS3. I expected some really spotty performance, given that this is a next-gen game being scaled back for current-gen, but even when it gets busy the framerate is pretty stable. I was only playing by myself, though. I would like to hear the thoughts of someone who played a lot of it with three other people because the tower, where a couple dozen or so people might be running around at any given time, really did have some framerate drops. Not a big deal, it's just a hub area/safe zone/shopping area/whatever, so some noticeable slowdown doesn't cause many problems.Only played a few multiplayer matches but I didn't have any issues there, either.

If you want this but aren't going to get a PS4 or Xbox One for a while, then it seems like the PS3 version will look fine and perform without any significant issues.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to hear the thoughts of someone who played a lot of it with three other people because the tower, where a couple dozen or so people might be running around at any given time, really did have some framerate drops.

Fireteams are limited to you and 2 other people

I've done the strike multiple times with randoms and didn't notice any framerate problems.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on the PS4 and last night was the first time I've encountered any lag in PVP in all my time playing the alpha and beta. I was once kicked out of a public event but managed to rejoin it and that's about it. The game runs smoothly and I've only had those two bumps.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fattony12000

Seems fine on PS3 for me. I've put 16 hours into the beta so far.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Stability wise it's pretty much perfect.

But the PvP has been super laggy every time i've played it (i only tried it after maintenance). Constantly seeing people not start registering hits for a bit, or stuff like shotgunning a dude him running up to me and getting a melee kill only to see the shotgun kill register after my own death. Ugh.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Aviar

Playing on PS4 and haven't noticed any issues. Only thing that seems to take a little time are the load screens, but they aren't that bad that you can't live with it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played on PS4, and now on Xbox One, and it runs really well on both. Looks really good on both too(can't see a difference). Not seeing any lag, but an occasional frame hitch or floating body. That's about it. Load screens are faster than in the alpha, by quite a bit. Going to the tower is the longer one, but it seems shorter now too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.