Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

To buy or not buy Destiny

mehrdadkazem87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi,

With all the positive talk surrounding Destiny and how The Taken King is a really good piece of content and changes to Destiny are very meaningful, making it a better game than it was when it launched, I am kind of titillated to try it now. Although, I am not a multiplayer kind of guy and predominantly play single-player games. So, my question is, will I enjoy Destiny as a single-player game or would I lose so much of it without engaging in its cooperative aspects like the raids?

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Playing through the story with a friend or two is definitely more fun, but it's still a good single player experience. After months of not having touched it, I started a new character and have been playing through TTK without even having psplus (so no strikes even) and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was wondering the same actually.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mehrdadkazem87: if you're going into it now for the first time then the $60 Taken King bundle is a great value.

That said if you don't engage in a lot of the multiplayer aspects of Destiny you'll be missing out on some of the core design of that game.

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I had the same question, too. Glad to hear the good reviews. I may pick it up if the price drops closer to the holidays.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The only real multiplayer aspects of Destiny are the strikes and the PvP. You can completely avoid the PvP if you wish and yhe strikes aren't really that bad, you don't realy need to communicate with you teammates if you don't want to. All you really do in strikes is follow the other players and shoot everything until you complete the strike.

I played all the way to level 40 playing by myself but doing strikes as well. I think we you would enjoy Destiny as a single player experience up until you finish the story, after that the game pretty much turns into raids and strikes the video game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you have a lot of time to kill.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I picked up a PS4 and The Taken King last Friday and I've loved every minute of it so far. It took me a few minutes to realise when I had actually finished the story though, up until TTK the story elements are pretty light. I eventually beat all the original single player stuff, Dark Below, House of Wolves and just finished the main Taken King stuff and a ton more quests have opened up.

But yeah I'm level 40, 288 light in under a week, I work full time but I've had a two weekends of not much going on to reach that point. I only started playing with other people a couple of nights ago and to be frank, the coop stuff just feels like more story, you just have a couple of silent people join you if you go for strike matchmaking and it seems really hard to grief other players in the coop stuff.

I'm loving the crucible, it's no where near as bad as Jeff makes it out to be. I've had 0 children yelling at me (quite the nice change from my Halo outings). It sucks there's no matchmaking for the coop stuff but if you make a party in the Giant Bomb Community on PS4 people will play.

Jeff gives off a lot of negativity about Destiny, which really put me off the game for a long time, but considering how much he plays it I think he just doesn't like that he likes the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

You won't be able to do the raids, but you shouldn't have any problem participating in everything else the game has to offer. Keep in mind that this game is light on story - you're here for the shooting, the gear, and the crazy Bungie environments, all three of which are pretty great.

The game automatically finds two other people for you to do strikes with and you don't need to communicate for those. You should still do them.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't bought destiny previous it is probably the bet time to do so as you get the full game for 60 bux(instead of 1 third of it like i did). I'm not sure how much changed, but doing missions and strikes was pretty easy even if your not into multiplayer. They didn't require all that much teamwork and usually even when people weren't very good as i got better i could carry a team and even finished some strikes solo without dying. I never got into the raids and that seems to be the end game content when you finish all the strikes/story stuff and are just doing tedious leveling etc, that's about when i got out of the original game but it was entertaining for a while until it got monotonous playing solo.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Anund

There are basically three things you will not be able to do solo. I know, because I play mostly solo and I am now at 295 light.

• The raids require friends who play the game, or a willingness to use LFG sites like destinylfg.com
    • The nightfall strikes. It used to be you could solo some of these, but it was hard work and required some cheese. Not sure if this is possible with most of the new strikes, they seem to be build differently, but I haven't looked into it..
    • Some of the end game quests require you to put together a raid quality fireteam.

Other than that, you can solo anything in this game, or use the automatic matchmaker. No one ever talks in those matchmade teams, so no worries there.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Personally I wouldnt recommend it if you're playing it solo. It's not that there isnt a lot to do by yourself or that the strikes arent manageable with randoms it's just that there's a lot of downtime in the game and unless you're listening to podcasts or chatting with friends it will start to drive you crazy after awhile.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

Personally I wouldnt recommend it if you're playing it solo. It's not that there isnt a lot to do by yourself or that the strikes arent manageable with randoms it's just that there's a lot of downtime in the game and unless you're listening to podcasts or chatting with friends it will start to drive you crazy after awhile.

Downtime? You mean the load times? Yeah they can be a little rough, but it's not that bad really.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@anund: That and all those trips you'll have to take back to the tower for seemingly no reason. I just think the game feels kind of lifeless unless there's something/someone to keep you engaged.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Anund
    @boozak said:

@anund: That and all those trips you'll have to take back to the tower for seemingly no reason. I just think the game feels kind of lifeless unless there's something/someone to keep you engaged.

Yeah they do like the tower. I tend to stay out in the wild more than most though, only go back once my inventory is full, hehe.

mehrdadkazem87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mehrdadkazem87

Thanks to everyone for giving their opinion. I eventually decided to buy it and try it out. I really like its mechanics and think there's enough content for me to enjoy solo. However, for the raids and other coop parts, I will try to engage the community and maybe some here who helped me make this decision. Thanks again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.