Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Trying to understand.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So far I like what I see, or what I've looked at that is, with this game, and am hoping to get it for the PS4 around when it launches. Though, I think I know what it is, I'm still questioning if my understanding is correct. So Destiny is a co-op FPS with MMO type elements added in? Is that right? Basically the way I see it is that the game will allow you to play with friends against AI through the story but littered about the game world are MMO type boss battles that open the game for you and strangers to take down whatever the obstacle.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

That sounds about right to me. I'm pretty sure Destiny won't come out till spring of next year, so you're out of luck at launch. I know if you preorder the game, you get access to the beta for free. So we'll probably get to play earlier next year and really find what it's about firsthand.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

That plus Borderlands-style gun loot.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiritgod: They haven't revealed much but from what I gather it's a Borderlands / Guild Wars 1 / Halo type game, with less of the World of Warcraft MMO aspect to it. There will be hubs where you group up with others to go on missions and such.

Spiritgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: I meant getting the game when the game launches, but I can see how you thought I meant the PS4 launch...though that would be pretty awesome if it were a launch game.

@donutfever: @benny: The Borderland type loot is one of the reasons why I want the game. I just hope I see a level of Guild Wars 2 type chaos in this game while also allowing me to play online co-op with a friend of mine. Which leaves me with another question. Have they spoke of number of players that can play together? I really only want to play with one other person...well, besides the MMO type battles, I guess my concern is being locked out because I don't have enough friends that play.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zeik

I get the impression that the game will be much more "instanced" than a normal MMO. You're not going to have hundreds of people in an area at once. Although they make it sound like it's going to be much looser than most MMO instances, in that you don't have to create a party before entering an area and then no one else can join.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Seppli

@spiritgod said:

So far I like what I see, or what I've looked at that is, with this game, and am hoping to get it for the PS4 around when it launches. Though, I think I know what it is, I'm still questioning if my understanding is correct. So Destiny is a co-op FPS with MMO type elements added in? Is that right? Basically the way I see it is that the game will allow you to play with friends against AI through the story but littered about the game world are MMO type boss battles that open the game for you and strangers to take down whatever the obstacle.

The way I understand it, it's a bunch of rather large zones, and rather than being instanced, it's phased (seamlessly instanced), and all the matchmaking happens in the background. It's constantly matchmaking and seamlessly drawing players together - if they end up doing things together or just go their own way is up to the players themselves. Of course there will be lots of public events, that'll organically draw attention and make players band together ad-hoc.

I'm not yet clear on how the environments are though. How big and open are these levels? Because they look pretty flippin' big and wide-open on what we've seen so far. Might actually be much larger than regular MMO-zones are, with those speederbikes and such.

Guess what would be group dungeons in classic MMOs are going to be the Halo-like shooter levels, and those will likely be instanced - with storytelling and everything.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

tehres a lot of questoins they need to answer about the gameplay before im really sold on it. the ideas are cool, but the execution is really important, and also its only the base ideas which have been shown so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.