Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

What Should I Do With My Year 1 Exotics?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I still have Year 1 versions of Bad Juju, Plan C, Dragon's Breath, The Last Word, Skull of Dire Ahamkara, Apotheosis Veil, Eternal Warrior, Ruin Wing and Crest of Alpha Lupi sitting around in my vault and I'm not sure what to do with them. It took a lot of work to get some of these and they are pretty cool looking and have some nice perks but in this post-Taken King world they all have pretty useless stats now so should I just dismantle them all?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can bring them to the boards near the Vanguard and get Year 2 versions of them with Legendary seals. You can also rebuy the Year 1 versions with seals.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Stare at them whilst pondering the limited time each of us gets to spend living.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying: Like only 2 of them are upgradeable to year 2 levels also legendary marks seem like a real bitch to get

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jonny_anonymous said:

@steadying: Like only 2 of them are upgradeable to year 2 levels also legendary marks seem like a real bitch to get

Legendary Marks come fairly easily once you hit Level 40. You won't get 150 in a day, but you can easily get between 35-50 one day a week if you play the Heroic Strikes and one game to completion, win or lose, of the daily crucible playlist. Plus, any Year 2 Legendary item you come across in The Taken King can be dismantled for 3 Legendary Marks.

Generally speaking, just finish questlines given to you by Tower Vendors, do the Heroic Strikes, dismantle Legendaries when you can, and you'll have enough to purchase an Exotic in no time.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

Stare at them whilst pondering the limited time each of us gets to spend living.

^

And then come to the realisation that the devaluation cycle of items will continue as long as the game exists.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

use them to impress girls. that'll work.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either keep them for your inner collector, or shard them. The game has registered that you had them at one time, so if you want a Y2 version later on you can still get that even though you sharded it.

They are useful in the Crucible though, so if you like one/some of them for PvP, you can keep that.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@perilator666: I like your thinking.

Yeah, I buy at least 2-3 either Exotics or Vendor weapons each week so Marks aren't that hard to come by. Personally I dismantled everything that had a Year 2 variant at the start and went through collecting them again. I've kept all of the old Armors cause what else would I use Armor Vault space for. I originally kept all of my Exotics from Year 1 and Raid weapons, but because of severe weapons parts shortages I've since dismantled all but my favorite Year 1 weapons. I think I still have around 10 or so. But if they have a Year 2 variant there is literally no reason to not shard them. I know you didn't mention them, but since I did, one thing I will mention is that Year 1 Raid weapons are still useful to dismantle for Gunsmith Bounties. The Legendaries count for 5 weapons just like any current Legendary.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say "shard" them. Do you mean dismantling them for exotic shards, because I've dismantled a couple year 1 exotics and didn't get exotic shards for doing so. I have dismantled one or two year two exotics and did get one though. Is this a glitch, because I was under the impression that year 1 exotics wouldn't turn into exotic shards? And no, my inventory wasn't full, and they're not at the postmaster.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrrael said:

I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say "shard" them. Do you mean dismantling them for exotic shards, because I've dismantled a couple year 1 exotics and didn't get exotic shards for doing so. I have dismantled one or two year two exotics and did get one though. Is this a glitch, because I was under the impression that year 1 exotics wouldn't turn into exotic shards? And no, my inventory wasn't full, and they're not at the postmaster.

Any exotic you dismantle, year 1 or year 2, will give you at least 1 exotic shard, 2 if it is fully leveled. I don't know if you were mistaken or if you encountered a bug, but every dismantled exotic produces exotic shards.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I still have Year 1 versions of Bad Juju, Plan C, Dragon's Breath, The Last Word, Skull of Dire Ahamkara, Apotheosis Veil, Eternal Warrior, Ruin Wing and Crest of Alpha Lupi sitting around in my vault and I'm not sure what to do with them. It took a lot of work to get some of these and they are pretty cool looking and have some nice perks but in this post-Taken King world they all have pretty useless stats now so should I just dismantle them all?

Any exotic you've acquired is automatically added to the exotic blueprint kiosk in the tower. If you have no desire to use any of the year 1 exotics you have in PVP, there is no harm in dismantling them since the cost of pulling them out of the kiosk is relatively low (basically, the materials you get for dismantling an exotic is about the cost of extracting them from the kiosk). You can also use the kiosk to upgrade to a year 2 variant of the ones that have a year 2 version.

It does cost legendary marks to upgrade to a year 2 version, but it's one of the better ways to spend them. Legendary marks are a resource that seems coveted for a time, but once you pass a certain point you'll be buying things you don't even really need or want just to avoid sitting at the cap. If you do all the daily and weekly activities that award legendary marks you're looking at around 250 a week, plus any dismantled legendaries give 3-5 marks each (5 if you fully level them first, which only costs about 15-20 motes). Then there's also the Taken War questline, which has quite a few quests that each award 25 marks. The point I'm making here is that you should be spending marks whenever you can, they're not as hard to come by as it may seem, and there's only so many things you're going to want to spend them on.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tyrrael

@tyrrael said:

Any exotic you dismantle, year 1 or year 2, will give you at least 1 exotic shard, 2 if it is fully leveled. I don't know if you were mistaken or if you encountered a bug, but every dismantled exotic produces exotic shards.

It had to have been a bug, because I'm sure I didn't get a shard from at least one of the first ones I dismantled. Thankfully, it seems to not be persistent. I just dismantled two more year one exotics, and they both gave me a shard. I was a little worried for a while there.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Does anybody know how I can get a Year 2 Apotheosis Veil? It doesn't seem to be in the kiosk even though I have the Year 1 version and all the wikis say it does exist.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BURN THEM.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't play PvP just trash everything except gjallahorn if you have one of those. It's still the best weapon in patrol events (for soloing taken ultras for exemple) and older content/raids.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If it's not in the Blueprint menu listed as a Year 2 version, it doesn't exist in the game world yet.

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

that was too real bro

orlandodoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I upgrade them to year 2 and then infuse them into year 2 exotics?

Obsidian mind -> The Stag, for example?

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't use Year 1 anythings to infuse Year 2 anythings. For infusion, the things have to be from the same year and take up the same slot. You could use a Y2 Obsidian Mind to infuse The Stag if you wanted.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I upgrade them to year 2 and then infuse them into year 2 exotics?

Obsidian mind -> The Stag, for example?

Any year 2 legendary or exotic can be infused with any higher attack/defense piece of gear that takes up the same item slot. So, if you want to level up your Stag you need to infuse it with any other helmet that has a higher defense rating. An Obsidian Mind can certainly be infused into a Stag, but if you extract an Obsidian Mind from the armor blueprint kiosk it will come out at 280 defense (the minimum power level for exotics), so you won't be able to use it to level up other exotics since they'll be either the same or higher power level.

If you're under 300 light, your primary source of infusion fodder will be high level blues (which drop as high as 300 attack/defense). Once you get to 300 light, you're then looking for raid gear or 310 exotics (which start dropping once you hit 300) to infuse your lower level gear.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23 sweep  Moderator

Coming at it from a different angle, I threw all mine in the bank, not because I'm saving them for anything, mostly because I'm bored of using them.

I also completely expect bungie to implement some new system for which you'll need them in about 3 months, right after the last player has melted theirs down for scrap.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Coming at it from a different angle, I threw all mine in the bank, not because I'm saving them for anything, mostly because I'm bored of using them.

I also completely expect bungie to implement some new system for which you'll need them in about 3 months, right after the last player has melted theirs down for scrap.

They've said they're going to be bringing more year 1 exotics into year 2 over time. Upgrading to a year 2 variant only requires that you have one registered in the blueprint kiosk, not that you have a year 1 version in your possession, so there's no reason to keep the old ones around, no matter what they decide to do with them in the future. Also, pulling a year 1 version back out of the kiosk after you've dismantled it only costs the materials you get from breaking them down, so there's no penalty whatsoever for scrapping them.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25 sweep  Moderator

@sweep said:

They've said they're going to be bringing more year 1 exotics into year 2 over time. Upgrading to a year 2 variant only requires that you have one registered in the blueprint kiosk, not that you have a year 1 version in your possession, so there's no reason to keep the old ones around, no matter what they decide to do with them in the future. Also, pulling a year 1 version back out of the kiosk after you've dismantled it only costs the materials you get from breaking them down, so there's no penalty whatsoever for scrapping them.

The emphasis was on wanting to use new guns rather than caring about the old ones but, honestly, if you're going to melt down a gun only to keep all the materials you get then there's literally no point in doing so. What is more likely to happen is players will use those materials elsewhere and then have to scramble around to replace them when it turns out they needed all those old exotics after all.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sweep said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:
    @sweep said:

The emphasis was on wanting to use new guns rather than caring about the old ones but, honestly, if you're going to melt down a gun only to keep all the materials you get then there's literally no point in doing so. What is more likely to happen is players will use those materials elsewhere and then have to scramble around to replace them when it turns out they needed all those old exotics after all.

The cost is only 1 exotic shard and 2500 glimmer, which is nothing to most end game players. Even still, when they upgrade the weapons to a year 2 version you only need to have had the year 1 version at some point so you can just extract the year 2 version directly; having them still in your inventory wouldn't help you anyway.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got them all in my Vault. My plan is to get the year two version from the kiosk by dismantling the year one version for the shard. If the year two version never shows up for some reason I'll still have the year one version... for nostalgia, I guess.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I dismantled everything except Gjallahorn. I'm still hurt that I had just finally got that thing a few months before Taken King :(

It was a crucible drop too!

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By HadesTimes

I dismantled mine, they are never going to be as good as the year 2s and the expense to get the them close is just crazy. Atleast in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.