Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Why I won't buy the DLC

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So, other than the fact that the main issues I had with the game haven't been fixed (i.e. why don't the weekly strikes have matchmaking? I think the raids should too but, that's besides the point and I can sort of, sort of, understand their reasons for not including that), I have one major issue with the DLC: Price.

Now, that's hardly shocking, everyone thinks it's overpriced. But here's where the difference in regions comes in. My PS4 and PSN account are UK. That means the price isn't $20, but 20GBP. That's more than $30. It's literally half the price of the full game. And, considering the leaked content list, that's INSANE. If they were charging that much for both packs, sure, but just one?

And you might say, but games are more expensive in the UK than the US anyway, right? So it makes sense they'd charge more? Wrong. Games in the US are $60 on release, without fail, and that doesn't include tax if you live in some states. Games in the UK? I'd rarely find a new next gen game retailing for much more than 40GBP. Which is exactly the same US price. And yet the DLC is totally shafting UK consumers.

I love Destiny in spite of its issues but I just can't get behind this at all.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeesh, that sounds like some real gouging. It is Activision, though, and it's not like they don't have a track record of charging more pretty much everywhere (notably $100+ for a digital "limited" edition of COD, recently). That still doesn't make it okay, but it does put this into perspective.

Every time I talk about Destiny I get a little more depressed. So much promise.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

I won't buy it because there's barely any new content. It doesn't expand enough IMO. I like Destiny for what it is, which is a way to kill boredom with some fun gameplay and action. But aside from that, Destiny has nothing going for it, so 20$ for something that barely adds new content isn't worth the trouble.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SirFork

Game was fun while it lasted, and yes I also tired of no matchmaking for the tougher things. Having to go to some website and assemble a group of randoms was a pain in the ass. Also the big baddie in the DLC just looked like a big knight with a sword, wow thanks bungie I can fight the same knight I've killed 5000 times but now he has a big glowing sword. I truly like bungie and hope they either get it together or that destiny 2 is a much better game.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#5  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

@soylentgreen: To be fair, that "limited" edition comes with the $50 season pass. They're just giving you extra garbage, like a gold exo, with it.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deanoxd

I recently played through the PS4 demo and at first i was really liking the game but by the time i reached lvl 5 (demo cap is 7) i was finally able to see a lot of what Jeff was talking about with going back and forth to the same place to do the almost the exact same mission over and over. And by the time i was lvl 7 i knew i would never buy this game, it was so boring and could never see myself paying $70 for the game and another $50 for a season pass. They really should have made it free to play with some other hook to make money.

I was hoping they would release a demo but having now played that demo i think it does the game more harm then good.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even sell my copy of Destiny. I offered it on the marketplace we have at work about a month ago for $40 and it's been dead silence. I was able to sell Watch Dogs but no one wants Destiny.

I'm stuck with this dumb game it seems, but I'm definitely not buying the DLC. It's more table scraps. Come to think of it, Bungie has always been skimpy with their DLC but they used to make good meaty games so it didn't bother me as much.

If Halo Reach was steak and potatoes than Destiny is half a croissant.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeesh, that sounds like some real gouging. It is Activision, though, and it's not like they don't have a track record of charging more pretty much everywhere (notably $100+ for a digital "limited" edition of COD, recently). That still doesn't make it okay, but it does put this into perspective.

Every time I talk about Destiny I get a little more depressed. So much promise.

Yeah, and more content would alleviate some of my issues. I just can't justify paying 20GBP for each piece, especially if the early leaks are correct regarding how little content this 'expansion' has.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm torn as to whether I'll get the DLC personally. On one hand, I want to experience that new raid with a bunch of my friends. On the other hand, it's going to be $20+ here in Australia, and I'll smash through the non-raid content in under two hours. It's only a handful of missions, and by the end of the first week I'm sure we will all be tired on the same loops and weak-ass story reasons to be heading back to the same areas over and over again.

I love the gameplay. I love the social elements. There just isn't enough content in the main game. I'm finding it hard to come to terms with shelling out more money (game already cost me $99) to get a handful of missions, and one raid. Also the level cap isn't exactly impressive - I'd have expected a few more levels thrown into it.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand everything you are saying but there is something about that classic Bungie "30 seconds of fun" that I can't stop gobbling up. I thought I would be ditching this game once the re-release of Grand Theft Auto V came, but I see myself entering my man cave every night and grabbing the Destiny box to keep working for that nice rare item! It's an addiction, and I have to come to terms with it. Maybe time for 12 steps? Na, I'm gonna play some more Destiny!

I will say, however, that charging $35 for content that is ALREADY ON THE DISC is something that enrages me. The only reason I purchased the DLC is because I got the game for $10 after a few trade-ins.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Already bought the DLC and I'm having no regrets at all about it. Maybe it's because I've got a good group who play but I feel no boredom with the content at all. Destiny at the end game is about leveling up the gear and there's a ton of that in this expansion, it's not just about the missions.

Going through the raid and nightfall every week is still enjoyable and PvP is really good with a group. Most of these guys I don't know at all except for Destiny so I'd say treat this like an MMO and go find a raid group.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't buy it because there's barely any new content. It doesn't expand enough IMO. I like Destiny for what it is, which is a way to kill boredom with some fun gameplay and action. But aside from that, Destiny has nothing going for it, so 20$ for something that barely adds new content isn't worth the trouble.

Same here. I won't buy it because there's hardly anything in it from what they've advertised. Nothing worth the asking price anyway.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@vitor: You still have it pretty good. I get third-hand shafted because in my region the price is translated from dollars to pounds and then from pounds to my currency - in which case thanks to the wonders of currency exchange with a complete disregard for the target market economy the DLC costs basically as much as the full game.

So as much as I like playing the game with my friends from the UK that I met on these very forums, I'm having a hard time buying this on principle alone.

PS4 games already cost more than PS3 games did and thats in retail stores, lets not even get into how much things cost if I were to attempt and buy them from the PSN store in my region. Having lived in the US most of my life I really took for granted how amazing pricing is. I used to hear all these stories from Europeans about the prices and always thought they were just a bunch of whiners. Now having moved to Europe for the time being man.. they were right. EU gets completely shafted in terms of pricing.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@theacidskull said:

Same here. I won't buy it because there's hardly anything in it from what they've advertised. Nothing worth the asking price anyway.

Yeah, at this point it feels like they are milking Destiny as much as they possibly can, if they haven't already. I'm also certain that we won't really get an actual expansion pack, considering that they are already working on Destiny 2. So their 10 year plan will probably include few "additions" for 20$ each.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I tried raiding with some new people this week. Goddamn, what a nightmare. One guy, who had no idea what he was talking about, insisted we followed his instructions. I think it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They were all 26,27. I'm 30. I told them, listen, I've done this thing a bunch of times, we really don't have to overthink it to that extend. Let's just do this. But nope, he saw it online so it had to work. I just left eventually.

I don't think the Raid should have matchmaking. Yes, normal people would totally be able to do it with strangers (if they already completed it once), but there are too many idiots running around for it to be a good experience.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion: there should be an infrastructure built around it so people can matchmaker properly. How can you build a game that requires grouping in so many activities yet not include any tools to group. LFG already proved that strangers can come together and work it out. There should be a similar "waiting list" built into the game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zevvion: there should be an infrastructure built around it so people can matchmaker properly. How can you build a game that requires grouping in so many activities yet not include any tools to group. LFG already proved that strangers can come together and work it out. There should be a similar "waiting list" built into the game.

It also proved that it can backfire immensely. Some people are too stubborn. The Raid on Level 26 with Level 28+ characters; yeah sure. But have you tried it with lower level characters or even the Hard Raid? You need to work together there. Some people don't seem to want to do that or are too stubborn in thinking their flawed strategy is the only way to go. It's annoying.

I'm just thinking it's near impossible to make it work right. What are you going to do? Add a kick option? At that point the stubborn one is just going to kick everyone who doesn't play how he wants them to. I've Raiding with a good group of people a bunch of times and it always took around 1,5 hours or less. I've tried it with different people and actually never hit that time. Some times it just takes soooooo long because some people keep screwing up, not sticking to a plan. It's just frustrating.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: you need to meet people to find a good group. There will be bad and there will be good but you're not going to get anywhere until you come in contact with them. There were guys advertising on our forums that they want to Raid. I got myself and a friend Into that group. None of us knew each other and it was our first time doing the raid with lv27 characters. It took us 6 hrs to finish it but everyone bonded and we've been raising ever since. Now we can generally do the hard mode raid in about 2hrs and we all have lv30 characters.

The point is that we would have never formed into a close group of friends if we never tried - and to do that we had to seek each other out outside the game. There should be a system for that in the game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zevvion: you need to meet people to find a good group. There will be bad and there will be good but you're not going to get anywhere until you come in contact with them. There were guys advertising on our forums that they want to Raid. I got myself and a friend Into that group. None of us knew each other and it was our first time doing the raid with lv27 characters. It took us 6 hrs to finish it but everyone bonded and we've been raising ever since. Now we can generally do the hard mode raid in about 2hrs and we all have lv30 characters.

The point is that we would have never formed into a close group of friends if we never tried - and to do that we had to seek each other out outside the game. There should be a system for that in the game.

I've had the exact same experience months ago and that one group is still pretty much the only group of people were it isn't a nightmare to do. I think I would honestly not use matchmaking for the Raid if it existed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.