Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Too much hacking :(

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LemonJoose

Is anyone else finding the hacking to be a bit of a PITA?  Level 1 hacking was easy and fun.  Level 2 could get a but frustrating, but level 3 and I am ready to give up.  Kind of sorry I have put points into hacking since it is such a pain in the ass.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By yinstarrunner

Is it a PITA because you keep tripping alarms and getting caught?  If so, it's definitely worth it to put points into the "stealth hacking" tree.  It's only 1 point to start off, unlike other augs, so it's not too much of an investment and it definitely pays dividends.
    picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By picklecannon

I've honestly had no problems hacking at all at any point in the game... I actually kind of enjoy it. At the end of the game I was sitting at around 20 stop worms and 40 nuke viruses. Hacking stealth is pretty vital in making it as painless as possible, and fortify is also pretty useful, especially on lower level nodes. Getting +3 defenses on just your main node gives you like 10 extra seconds on a level 1 and 2 terminal. Also sometimes the enemy node is really close by and when you hack the enemy node you automatically win (and get every bonus) so sometimes it's a lot faster to just go for the enemy instead of everything else.

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By shamroll

If you max the stealth hacking tree (45% reduction in detection) only level 4 and 5 will give you any risk of failing and even those can be overcome with the nukes you get from the lower level stuff. 

But I do agree there is a TON of hacking.  I must of spent 1/4 of every level hacking.  The rest was spent trying to stealth, killing everything once I failed at stealth, and traversal.

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LemonJoose
    @picklecannon: Since I read that it's possible to capture the enemy start node, almost all the hack puzzles I've seen seem to have only one-way bridges out of he Diagnostic Subroutine.  I am waiting for a puzzle to come along to try that tactic on.
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Buscemi

I am planning on going all out with the hacking stuff. Just spend points on everything hacking.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Hacking is too easy.  I think i had about 40 nuke virus's available near the end of the game because that's how much i had to use them.  Stealth hacking augment definitely makes hacking higher level nodes a non issue.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says

By the end I was just skipping all the rooms because I was too lazy to hack. Sad part is I had accumulated 12 nuke Viruses and had 10 AUD's

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By infininja

Not to be inflammatory, but are you playing on console? It looks a lot harder without a mouse.

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LemonJoose
    @Infininja: Yes, I'm playing the 360 version, and can see how hacking would be easier with a mouse.  A mouse would be especially useful for when you want to launch a bunch of captures/fortifys all at the same time.  Plus, to keep the network map zoomed out so you can see more of it, you have to keep the right trigger pressed, which can make things awkward when you are rushing around from node to node after the timer starts ticking.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I'm actually kind of enjoying it ... it's certainly more interesting than most hacking/lockpick minigames and, to be fair, there is a way around it almost every time if you look for passwords etc.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By niamahai

lol why even bother to fortify? 

just be capturin ALL DAY LONG!

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jiggah
    @LemonJoose
    You can capture an enemy node.  It'll automatically get any treasures for the hack map.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 137

@Infininja said:

Not to be inflammatory, but are you playing on console? It looks a lot harder without a mouse.

not when you accidentally use your stop or nuke virus just trying to normally click a point while that clock is ticking down lol.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Wait until you get to level 5 :D
    But it's not that hard, you just have to be fast. Try to start capturing as many nodes at the same time as you can. Also nukes and worms are your friends.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InternetDotCom

It annoys me when I sneak past a guard, hack the door to the room, then hack the computer inside that room only to get spam or emails I already read.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By GrandMarshal

There are way too many computers to hack, I cant make myself just ignore them ='[

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Binman88

Even just activating the stealth hacking upgrade will make it so much easier. You just have to be quick and always be on the lookout for worms and nukes when it's possible to grab them. I actually really like the whole hacking part of the game, and think it's much more than "decent", as described on the podcast.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Obsidian

I think the hacking is pretty nice and I hack everything I can. I can see how it wouldn't be so good without a mouse though.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov

Hacking is actually a real strategy+skill investment system in this game and personally I love it.  In the beginning when all I had was the hacking  "levels" it was hard to hack anything over level 2.  Now I have max hacking stealth and am one level shy of max hacking fortification and I have captured level 3 hacks without the computer even detecting me at all.  Level 5 and 4 can still be challenging but they are now very doable.  Especially when you use strategy and plan your route, don't be fooled into going for the goal or datastores right off.  Half the time there is a low risk path leading to nodes that can slow the pc detection down, make the nodes you need to capture lower level, or lots of other things that can help you.  Getting those first and early always makes the difference on a tough hack.

EDIT: hacking is easier with a mouse but I still play on a gamepad with PC and once you get used to it the gamepad works fine for hacking.  You just have to be fast once you are detected and plan route attack before you make the first move.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can hack... more than one node.... at a time?  

*rages*

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By HydraHam

Although i find the game to have way way way way way too many hacking scenarios i am actually good at it, it's easy and fun (just put points into hacking and it will be a breeze) and this is coming from someone who couldn't beat the first level of Alpha Protocol cause i couldn't finish the hacking part.

Or goto IGN and look at the Deus Ex Wiki and just use the codes/passwords.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

Fortifying will kill you and make things difficult. If you look at the base node it's always at least a 70% detection, so you're better off just capturing other nodes. If you have the Hack Stealth augment, it greatly decreases detection rates, as long as you don't fortify.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By soldierg654342

It's cyberpunk. Comes with the territory. 

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#26  Edited By KillyDarko

I'm gonna be honest here, I love the hacking system. I've been finding myself compulsively hacking everything I can :)

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By misterhaan

i almost always hack now that i have hack and hack stealth fully upgraded, even if i have the code / password.  before i was upgraded i usually did it unless i had the code / password.  i can't pass up whatever might be in the hidden datastores or behind the locked door or in somebody's e-mail.  of course when all that's there is the nigerian e-mail scam it's kind of disappointed, but it does get me experience points so at least there's that :)

my strategy is to slowly hack one node at a time until it starts trying to trace me, then i simultaneously capture as many nodes at once as i can and fortify starting from the furthest captured node from my entry point and work backward.  i usually save before attempting a hack just in case i set off an alarm and never use stop or nuke on my first attempt.

i don't understand why it shows a number of attempts left that never goes down though -- i hacked a level 3 something or other before i'd upgraded hack stealth and got it on my 5th try...

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ChaosDent

@misterhaan: If you keep quicksaving and quickloading the number of attempts will not go down... If you disconnect before the trace completes it does consume one of your attempts. If you run out of attempts you will be locked out for 30 seconds. It's possible those attempts regenerate every 30 seconds without a visible timer.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By misterhaan
    @ChaosDent said:

@misterhaan: If you keep quicksaving and quickloading the number of attempts will not go down... If you disconnect before the trace completes it does consume one of your attempts. If you run out of attempts you will be locked out for 30 seconds. It's possible those attempts regenerate every 30 seconds without a visible timer.

there's a quicksave / quickload?  i've been going to the menu and manually saving every time i wanted to save, then getting myself killed to load latest save.

i've never disconnected from hacking -- i either get through or the trace gets me, at which point i'm locked out for 30 seconds regardless of how many attempts it said i should have had.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Binman88
    @misterhaan said:
    @ChaosDent said:

there's a quicksave / quickload?  i've been going to the menu and manually saving every time i wanted to save, then getting myself killed to load latest save.  i've never disconnected from hacking -- i either get through or the trace gets me, at which point i'm locked out for 30 seconds regardless of how many attempts it said i should have had.
    @ChaosDent has it slightly wrong. If you disconnect before you're traced, the counter goes down. If you let the trace get you, it will kick you out and make you wait 30 seconds before trying again. After the 30 seconds the counter resets. I've never had it happen to me, but I think if you use up all your attempts, you'll be hit with that 30 second wait - the whole point of the multiple attempts is to let you try again straight away.
    magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By magimix

@GetEveryone said:

You can hack... more than one node.... at a time? *rages*

Don't beat yourself up; took me a fair while to cotton on to that fact too :-) That said, the hacking in this game really has grown on me a lot. You have to give a bit of thought to it - especially if you cannot resists the lure of additional datastores! But the game doesn't punish you if you don't want to bother with the hacking too much - if you have the creds, you can just nab some of those terminal override grenade things.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thetenthdoctor

I wish I could take back the Praxis I spent on Fortify before I really understood the hacking. Napalm is right- just go straight to capture, using Nuke on any high % directories that are far away from the goal if you're worried about getting caught.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lukeweizer

I wasn't sure if you were upset by the statement in the title. That god you used a series of characters to form a frowny face.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.