D-D-DIDDY KONG RACINNNG!!

Posted by L (1681 posts) -

A classic on Nintendo 64. Sure, Mario Kart 64 was awesome but this was my favourite. Well done Rare! Not so good on Nintendo DS, though. An open world, great soundtrack, great weapons and BATTLE MODE!

#1 Posted by L (1681 posts) -

A classic on Nintendo 64. Sure, Mario Kart 64 was awesome but this was my favourite. Well done Rare! Not so good on Nintendo DS, though. An open world, great soundtrack, great weapons and BATTLE MODE!

#2 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing was the only game that my friend had that I didn't have way back then. I loved it so much that I would walk to his house every day and we would play it for hours.

#3 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

This game was so bad.  When I was a kid my friend always wanted me to play it and it sucked ass.  Stupid Diddy Kong.

#4 Posted by TinaWood (116 posts) -

I loved Diddy Kong Racing!, I always thought it was better than Mario Kart 64. 

It's a shame the DS game is so crap :(

#5 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

I loved it too! Man I remember flying the airplane with the rockets! Oh that was fun! Such a fun game back in the day! Thanks for reminding me of this enjoyable gem.

#6 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I remembered playing it for a while but really I was disappointed with it and didn't think it was good enough to play anymore, so I pulled the plug after a couple days.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

I remember that game being REAL dumb, though it looks like I'm alone in that.

#8 Posted by Darro (625 posts) -

Oh man, I am so glad that I ain't the only one that believes that this is better than the quite frankly ridiciously overrated MK 64.  MK 64 stands at the bottom for me in terms of MK games.   DKR was just more enjoyable and I remember playing with my two cousins in the battle mode back in the day and how much fun we had.  Would have been so great on the DS with online play but too bad they had to go and royally screw it up with that version.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

This game was awesome, the choice of vehicles was great, and the maps were well done. Lots of things to do as well.

#10 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

I'd take Crash Team Racing over both Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 any day. 

#11 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing is one of the greatest racers ever made. Certainly much better than Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing.

Great music too.

#12 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

oh man i remember this. The Rivalry with my friends was unparrarleled. 

After everyone got pissed at eachother we'd go back to 4 player goldeneye and be done with.

#13 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I don't have very many words to describe my reverence for Diddy Kong Racing, but damn, a good chunk of my childhood was based on it.

#14 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

Loved this game

#15 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

This will always have a special place in my heart.

#16 Posted by ImHungryx10 (233 posts) -

This was my first video game ever. I lok back with so much fondness and nostalgia. Man! I wish I kept that game.

#17 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (228 posts) -

wow, after all these years I clould still name all the characters (exept bumper, for some reason)
#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -
#19 Posted by L (1681 posts) -
@Darro:  Certain things seemed so much different for me in the DS version. Too many new mini-games I guess. Loved battle mode on this and the fun of exploring the world, which in my opinion was a lot better than simply just selecting a track from a menu.
#20 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

Ah, Diddy Kong Racing, my first game for the N64.  I loved this game and I remember playing this a lot more than I did Mario Kart 64, even though they're both good.  Still, gotta say, I think Crash Team Racing is the best out of the three.
#21 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -
@JJOR64: Think he just thought it was too samey of an experience that came out six months after Mario Kart 64. He still ends the review saying it was much better than Mario Kart 64.
#22 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -
@JJOR64: Sometimes I forget that Jeff was reviewing games when I was a little kid. Weeeird
#23 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11475 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" Jeff didn't like it....... "

If you haven't noticed, the only Kart racer Jeff actually likes is Super Mario Kart, and maybe Crash Team Racing.

But whatever, It's still probably the epitome of the genre (not that that means much) and I would still rather play it than Mario Kart 64 (In fact, I would go as far as to say I would rather play it than Mario Kart Wii.). DS version is junk, unfortunately.
#24 Posted by L (1681 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe:  Haha. Me too. I was only like 6 when Jeff started with GameSpot. At least he doesn't have grey hair - yet. ;)
#25 Posted by Chewii101 (820 posts) -

Loved the game on the 64, didn't get the love and respect it deserved.

#26 Edited by gold_n_eye (82 posts) -

The best part about this game was battle mode, especially the one called Icicle Pyramid. I would play that map over and over again. I miss the old Rare, they made such great games (i.e. goldeneye, perfect dark and this game just to name a few...)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.