Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Future of Devil May Cry

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CheapPoison

Seeing some pretty negative reaction to the new trailer ( and previews ones). I was wondering how people felt about the future of DMC.

Will it do fine?Will it be completely forgotten and pretty much ignored like DMC2.Might it kill the DMC franchise?

I was also curious how this might affect Ninja theory.Cause i think they need kind of a hit, if i recall correctly enslaved didn't sell too well (don't know about heavenly sword)

I must admit, this was also slightly to bash DMC2...

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

After playing enslaved I'm very much looking forward to DMC. it'll be the first one with a good story.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ProfessorK

Honestly, and this coming from a DMC fan, it's just not that relevant anymore. 4 came out to a lukewarm reception and its just been overshadowed by other character action games since then(Bayonetta/God of War 3) It needs to bring something fresh to the table to stand out, but it doesn't help that a lot of fans are already ready to lynch the game based on Dante's hair color >.<

I hope its good and does well. I'm interested to see if the story will be any good, hopefully it'll explain a lot cause I still am not 100% sure who Nero is :P (that was poorly explained)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

I don't think it will do that well, maybe they have learned since Heavenly Sword. I think it will be forgotten and the franchise will change developers at least one more time within the next five years.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's Capcom, right? In that case; if you've played the past, you've played the future.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta
    @ProfessorK: Well it's a reboot so nero, vergil, trish, and lady  don't even exist anymore.

@HandsomeDead: It's ninja theory, makers of enslaved and heavenly sword.
    Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Noctis

@kingzetta said:

@ProfessorK: Well it's a reboot so nero, vergil, trish, and lady don't even exist anymore.

Not so sure about this, i read somewhere sometime ago that this is a reboot in terms of gameplay, but is actually a origin story for dante, so this game takes place before DMC3 ?? maybe ?? and we may see vergil in this one.

I dont know, maybe im wrong but, for what i have seen this is turning into a pretty good game, I'll just wait and see....

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heltom92

Well the gameplay still looks very much in keeping with the other games. I think it's still far too early to tell but people should chill out and just wait to actually play the game.

Also, it's funny how people complain that games like CoD do the same thing every year, but when developers are brave adn try to do something different everyone loses their shit.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phantomzxro

All i can really say without sounding like a raging fan boy is I’m worried on all accounts. The only good thing i can say about it is that this is a bold move and sometimes bold moves pay off. But i don't think this DMC game will do well at all. I know there are some fans of this game and this new revamp but i don't think that will speak for the many or new gamers to DMC and when this game hits i feel it will be at best good or average but i just don't see it selling much.   

DMC as a whole i think is dead they are trying all they can to bring DMC to new gamers but it's not working. They are not even building on what made DMC great so i don't see how they can continue DMC and sell this to new gamers when they are not trying to push the series forward like other actions games have. All i see is them doing is just slapping a new coat of paint on DMC to try and bring new gamers. 

bayonetta and god of war 3 are good examples no matter your personal feelings on the games themselves are setting the bar for action games of this type and so far the new DMC look like a lot of smoke and mirrors and is not showing anything to get me excited or impressed. but as always i could be wrong and this game may turn into something awesome but i just can;t see it right now but i will keep my eye on it. 

As for ninja thoery i don't know what their fate will be they seem to always get the short end of the stick when making games. This looks to be the same because they have a lot to live up too and they are not known to make a really solid fighting engine.  On top of that capcom is the one that wanted this is be so different from the other DMC so i know that is not helping them.  

Lastly yes sir DMC2 was a mistake!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phantomzxro
    @kingzetta said:
    After playing enslaved I'm very much looking forward to DMC. it'll be the first one with a good story.

Well to be fair DMC3 had a pretty good story and i would argue it's better storywise then enslaved that ending hurt the story for enslaved for me. Character driven story ninja thoery has in the bag which was enslaved shining point.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By jacksukeru

I just came from reading this blog, and in the comments was a link to this article.

To clarify, the first link is a "hardcore" fan of DMC explaining his concerns, it's not whiny or anything, I thought it made for a pretty interesting read. I should note though that at this point it's almost a month old.

The second is a recent impressions article from TGS called "The great DMC defense starts now" and have the main people involved in the project talking about it and adressing some concerns that fans have had. There's also a little bit about the story and what the gameplay will be like.

Personally I am a bit worried, but hopefull. A lot of what the fan brings up in his writeup doesn't feel like things that I would be noticing even if they were missing, but I can't be completely sure. I hope it's good, and if it is, I hope it does well for them.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Catolf
    @Noctis said:

@kingzetta said:

@ProfessorK: Well it's a reboot so nero, vergil, trish, and lady don't even exist anymore.

Not so sure about this, i read somewhere sometime ago that this is a reboot in terms of gameplay, but is actually a origin story for dante, so this game takes place before DMC3 ?? maybe ?? and we may see vergil in this one.

I dont know, maybe im wrong but, for what i have seen this is turning into a pretty good game, I'll just wait and see....

I think it's a little of both, like a reboot fully but I don't think any of the characters will be getting ditched, maybe re-imagined on how they will meet and how they will talk to one another?

@Sooty said:

I don't think it will do that well, maybe they have learned since Heavenly Sword. I think it will be forgotten and the franchise will change developers at least one more time within the next five years.

I doubt this will be forgotten, people don't make that much of a fuss just to forget this existed, it will be a game that you love or your going to hate and it'll sit on it's own as a game that no doubt divided a fandom.

@Heltom92 said:
    Well the gameplay still looks very much in keeping with the other games. I think it's still far too early to tell but people should chill out and just wait to actually play the game.  Also, it's funny how people complain that games like CoD do the same thing every year, but when developers are brave adn try to do something different everyone loses their shit.
    This, 100% this.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

Giving a game that always(for me at least) has been about the smooth gameplay to a developer who are renown for hardly keeping 30 FPS isn't a very good decision in my eyes. I don't care about the new Dante or the story being good at all, but if the game runs at 20 FPS and once in a blue moon hits 30, I'd rather play DMC3 or 4.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm not a big DMC fan, and I'm not totally sold on Ninja Theory's gameplay skills (certainly not terrible, but not excellent in my opinion) but after Enslaved I can't help but be a little bit interested to see what they do on the story/performance end of things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.