Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 03, 2004

Doom 3, a more story-focused remake of the original Doom, is a sci-fi first-person-shooter that was widely considered the most graphically advanced game available for its time.

Oculus Rift HMD Kickstarter

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By zidd
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By smcn

That is NOT Carmack's VR headset. They quote him, they link to a video of Carmack's headset as if it were, and they put him in "special thanks".

The way they are connecting themselves to Carmack makes the whole thing look like a scam.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

@smcn said:

That is NOT Carmack's VR headset. They quote him, they link to a video of Carmack's headset as if it were, and they put him in "special thanks".

The way they are connecting themselves to Carmack makes the whole thing look like a scam.

Woah, that's pretty sketchy. Thanks for the heads-up.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By smcn

@Ravenlight: To clarify, he has nothing to do with the development of the Rift. He "endorses" it, which means he said he likes it. That's it.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zekhariah

I'd like to hear what Carmack thinks of this thing, since he is in their "special thanks" section. The quote from carmack seems to be about Doom 3 more than anything else. The other question would be how they managed to get the dev-kits down to only $300 (Carmack was at 500 min I think). If this is just a very cut down variation, it becomes a lot less interesting.

Technical specs and similar could really help clear this up.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Shivoa

Carmack left his VR headsets at home when we went to E3, the ones he used at the event to demo his software and tracking sensor with Doom 3 were built by the Oculus Rift guy(s? Lucky Palmer is the person Carmack spoke about at E3 who provided the hardware for the screen / glasses that he was using and that had the high FoV). Carmack is not part of the team that are making and distributing this stuff, but this is not some shady dealings and they do chat on some VR forums about this stuff (in a semi-open hardware community spirit).

Edit: link for truth.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

If my Kickstarter money isn't going toward putting John Carmack in space, i don't want it :P

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By stinky

@Zekhariah said:

I'd like to hear what Carmack thinks of this thing, since he is in their "special thanks" section. The quote from carmack seems to be about Doom 3 more than anything else. The other question would be how they managed to get the dev-kits down to only $300 (Carmack was at 500 min I think). If this is just a very cut down variation, it becomes a lot less interesting.

Technical specs and similar could really help clear this up.

pretty well, he tweeted the kickstarter page to give it some attention.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.