Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom beta is out, any opinions?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I was kind of excited to play this, I'm always down for good multiplayer death match. Granted it's not done and still in beta but I didn't finish my first round. The movement to me feels so jarring, the difference between moving forward and side to side is so different it almost gives me a start and stop kind of feel. The characters seem super boring and the level I think heat wave? was so bland.

How are other people liking it?

Kothre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm absolutely loving it. It really does feel like a retro FPS in many ways, despite the loadouts. I have a couple nitpicks but overall I think it's great.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'll have to give it a more serious chance I guess

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gundogan

Enjoying all the alphas and betas so far. Finally a legit FoV sider up to 110 on PC is nice too (although you could change it already before with some fiddling).

The movement is almost purely focused around the map. If you're not taking all the shortcuts and grab all the armors and powerups floating around at seemingly hard to reach places, it might seems sluggish yea. The weapons are balanced enough (except maybe the tad underpowered slow charge up of the Static Cannon) and there're more different powerups to grab, so the loadout system works in my opinion.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It took me like an hour to warm up to it during the closed beta. Once I adapted I started to really like it.

With that being said, I expect to spend most of my time with the campaign.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a couple matches last night, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. I'm more interested in the campaign, but it is nice to know that mode is there for when I finish the campaign. I'm not sure how I feel about the demon thing, but other than that it impressed me. I really like the speed of the game, and the weapons are fun to use.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me, it felt far too slow and none of the weapons felt particularly good to use.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Why did this have to come out the same weekend I got my Overwatch Beta invite? Thanks for the heads up that it was out otherwise I'd have overlooked this.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Call of DOOM

For real. Its like Quake Live and Call of Duty 4 had a baby. That's not saying its a bad thing, but its not super appealing to me at this point.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going in with tempered expectations I had a fair bit of fun with it. The demon pickup might need balance tuning and the Super Shotgun is by far the standout weapon but my first two hours have certainly been entertaining. Nice looking, atmospheric levels too.

I think the new UT does the arena-shooter-thing noticeably better though. And I wouldn't buy DOOM unless the SP campaign turns out to be fantastic.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had any attachment to Doom but I am way more interested in the campaign than anything the multiplayer has to offer. MORE SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGNS PLEASE.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fine for what it is.In May I'd rather play a different shooter. People seem to be really upset that there's customization, loadouts, and color. Plays fine. Nothing really stands out as incredibly great or terrible. PC version is locked at 60fps, mouse smoothing is on without an option to disable, and you can't tweak any advanced graphics settings (just greyed out).

Framerate never dipped below 60 the whole time (970, 4690k). I have no idea if it's on high, low, ultra, etc, since it doesn't let you see that stuff in beta. Looked and ran fine. I'd prefer to move the framerate cap up or unlock it completely. This is something I'd want to play as high as possible. I'm not too picky. I'm happy it runs fine at 60 these days. But Doom's a PC ass game. Give us options.

They decided not to go pure arena shooter, but also not all out on the extras. I think this will sit in a middle ground that doesn't appeal to any group. I want a pure arena shooter and this doesn't satisfy that itch. At the same time it's not crazy enough to replace something like CoD for me either. It tries to satisfy everyone while probably failing to be great at anything.

All that being said. Doom is a single player experience for me. The quality of the MP won't affect my decision to buy. If the campaign is fun, getting a few hours out of MP is a bonus.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Its fun, and plays well, but I'm most interested in single player. I wish they really would have went the whole way with the old-school feel, with no loadouts, no armor customization (I know it doesn't change anything, but I don't think it adds anything either), no single-use items that you equip, no demon runes. It just feels like a faster "me-too" modern multiplayer FPS.

Brad said it best on the Bombcast, "I want to be the only guy running around with a rocket launcher." And that's just not what this is. Also, they have a season pass for this game. Like, what? Are they expecting it to catch on that much?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played one match. I have no desire to play another.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rocket launcher doesn't quite feel right. Also it ran like absolute garbage on my PC.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I'm loving it. It's different enough from the current crop of FPS and still harkens back a bit to the old Dooms. It's a good mix, in my opinion.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mentioned in another thread that I'm just fucking loving it. I'm now looking forward to the release much more.

thugg1280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

kind of looks and feels like halo to me nothing like doom at all.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I got used to it, and the rocket launcher, I started to get into it more. A couple things really hold it back though.

1. The Super Shotgun needs some looking at. It's not crazy overpowered, but it's the best choice in too many situations.
    2. Sound design sucks. Muted weapon noises and lack of music makes the game feel much less energetic than it could. The announcer doesn't help the energy much either.
    3. Taunts and gaudy colour customizations are lame, but there's not much to be done about it, that's how multiplayer shooters are nowadays. A more consistent style would have been better. I do like that I can make my doomguy look like he's lived in a sewer for 20 years, though.
    4. There needs to be way more feedback about when you're taking damage. Half the time I can't even tell I'm being shot unless I stare at the health bar.

I'm having fun, but the season pass news means I really won't care much about Doom multiplayer. If I get it, it'll be on the merits of the singleplayer alone.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: That's a pretty balanced and solid view of the beta. In a vacuum I think it's really fun and the backlash is ridiculous. But yeah, I doubt I'll play Doom MP beyond my 5 hours this weekend when I consider everything else. Maybe the campaign will be awesome? One can always hope.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@brackstone: The game could use some more ambient noise and audio feedback yea. Visually I have no problem getting to know when I'm hitting someone or when I'm getting hit, but some more screaming would bring more life in the game. Same goes for random ambient noise like the levels in Quake 3 have.

Now I'm rocking some Quake 2 and 3 soundtrack in the background.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm having a ton of fun with the beta, already maxed out my level for it too! It's a shame it's getting so much moronic feedback on the Steam reviews and Steam forums because it's "not like old Doom". I'm one of the biggest old school Doom fans there are but if I want classic Doom MP there's already stuff like Zandronum for that. There's room for both and i think this new Doom is worthy of its name.

I'm still more excited for the single player content than anything else but the MP is good fun. The only thing I found pretty underwhelming was the announcer. It would be cool if we could get different options to choose from (like something more brutal/demonic-like) but it's something I can live without. The only other thing I'm concerned about - which i hope is just in the beta - is that the unlocks you get when you level up seem completely random. There's skins/colors other players have at a much lower level that I never got and can't get anymore since I'm maxed out.

Out of all the betas out this weekend I'd rank this above Overwatch and Battleborn as far as how much fun I've consistently had without getting bored.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a couple matches and I guess I'm still on the fence. It was...fine...but left trigger right trigger just feels wrong in Doom. Also while I can get used to 3D arenas in Doom jumping in Doom just feels wrong. I mean I get that they had to have it, but with double jump it just feels more like Destiny or Halo 5 than I wanted. Those games are already available. This feels much more like Quake than Doom except for all the demon stuff which just feels kind of cheesy in 2016. We get it. You were edgy in 1994.

That being said it wasn't bad per se, and if the reviews are enthusiastic I could see myself getting it, especially if the campaign is great. The season pass is a real bummer though. $40 for multiplayer Doom maps? COD may get away with it, but frankly COD maps are MUCH more detailed and often interesting than the stuff I saw in the Beta, which was like a late 90s Quake map with better textures and lighting.

I have a bad feeling about this. For some reason the aesthetic reminds me of Prey, which wasn't a bad game, but isn't one I'd pay $60 or $100(!!!) for today.

I guess this comment reads as super negative but like I said I am really on the fence. If the reviews come in solid I could see myself picking this up. If not I'll probably grab it a few years down the line just to see what they did with the campaign.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@bigsocrates: So... what were you using left trigger right trigger on? Shotgun and machine gun? I didn't find myself needing to aim down sights for those.

As for jumping, I'm all for it, I loved jumping around in this beta. Felt so great.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Vortex rifle. I believe it charges the shot when you hold down left trigger and it's intended to be used that way. Super shotgun definitely worked fine just run and gun. I used left trigger right trigger for the heavy machine gun at range too.

I don't have an inherent problem with jumping around, but as I said it made the game feel like Quake rather than Doom. Quake is about bunny hopping around like a lunatic and getting to higher ground. Doom is about circle strafing and gibbing with rockets. The teleporters were also kind of Quake like (though those DID exist in Doom.)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@justin258: Vortex rifle. I believe it charges the shot when you hold down left trigger and it's intended to be used that way. Super shotgun definitely worked fine just run and gun. I used left trigger right trigger for the heavy machine gun at range too.

I don't have an inherent problem with jumping around, but as I said it made the game feel like Quake rather than Doom. Quake is about bunny hopping around like a lunatic and getting to higher ground. Doom is about circle strafing and gibbing with rockets. The teleporters were also kind of Quake like (though those DID exist in Doom.)

I'll give you that it feels way more like Quake than it feels like Doom, though I guess that didn't bother me because I expected it even before I played the alpha. If it's a fast arena shooter with jumping, it's probably going to feel like Quake, and the multiplayer for this couldn't have been anything but.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not feeling it at all. I can't decide if the game feels dated or if I have simply moved away from that style of multiplayer design in the years since the early days. Not even sure I'm interested in the campaign alone considering the shooting wasn't all that fascinating.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked it. Maybe because it was the first time that I've actually been good at a shooter in ages (was finishing matches with a k/d ratio of at least 4 whereas usually I might scrape a flat 1) and I got more of a Quake vibe from it like a few others here. The lack of metal during the match was disappointing though. The static rifle's a good concept though, a sniper rifle for people who want to run around like a lunatic.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't like it at all. Maybe it was because I had just come off loving Overwatch but it just felt super dated to me. Technically speaking it ran super smooth for me though.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By BallsLeon

Did anyone else think the UI/menus feel and look like garbage? Additionally, not huge on the idea of load outs vs pickups.

That being said, the shooting felt pretty okay and I played 2-3hrs worth. Ultimately, not something I would pay retail price for. Nothing new or exciting about this release.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played 4 matches or so and then put it down. With some tweaks and polish it could be a fun multiplayer shooter. As it is, however, I wouldn't play anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.