Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Vulkan API patch

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Steam just upgraded DOOM with a "Vulkan API patch." I downloaded the new drivers, changed the API in the settings, and set everything to "Ultra." It runs 60 fps comfortably on my GTX 970. It seems to be better optimized, but I'm not entirely sure.

Does anyone else notice a significant difference?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

What resolution are you playing at? I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor and I was playing Doom at framerates consistently higher than 60 on Ultra when it came out.

EDIT: GTX 970, i5 3470, 8GB RAM.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gundogan
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ripelivejam

my r9 290 showed quite the improvement, an area where i was getting drops to 40s or less was running consistent 60fps. i was mostly getting 60 or close to but the occasional drops were annoying. haven't extensively tested yet but it bodes well.

now to apply this to every other game ever and i don't have to get a 1080 right away...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As a r390 user I'm happy to finally see something get released that benefits an AMD card. I haven't really noticed that much of a difference but the game was already running really well.

Maybe I should try the new catalyst drivers but from what I saw they're mostly concerned with 480 issues.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was running at a custom resolution just below 1440p i wonder if i can get 60fps at 1440 with my 980 now? I would get the occasional pause when enemies spawned too, this would happen at any resolution but it wasn't as bad when at 1080p.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Running a GTX 960 on an old 1440x900 monitor at medium/high settings and enabling Vulkan last night took it from 55-65fps to 70-80fps on Titan's Realm.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah id love to see this applied to like rise of the tomb raider or dark souls 3 (which is kind of annoyingly sluggish on my system). i have a feeling this won't get too universally accepted though (there's only four games so far)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By korwin
    Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My R9 280 had trouble keeping 35-40 fps in some areas under medium settings at 1920x1080 for the most part using OpenGL. Using Vulkan with the same settings it never falls below 60 in the most detailed areas. I'm really impressed.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

yeah id love to see this applied to like rise of the tomb raider or dark souls 3 (which is kind of annoyingly sluggish on my system). i have a feeling this won't get too universally accepted though (there's only four games so far)

If it did it would really give AMD card users a leg to stand on. Rise of the Tomb Raider was especially a huge resource hog that really tested your system in ways that I didn't fully understand. Stark contrast with the first game which ran amazing.

Doom though is really in a class of it's own. Not only is it an awesome game and an amazing reboot but it also performed really well on a wide range of PC setups even without this Vulkan support.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

Geforce 660 still runs it like hot trash. I'm more than happy to be getting this extra push to buy a new card, though.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say for certain, but there were times when my Fury would dip into the 40s with everything cranked up at 1440p on OpenGL. From the bit I played yesterday, I didn't see framerate go under 70 and my average was close to 100 fps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i7 6700 and 970 dominate the fucking game with no problem. Vulkan just takes it from A+ to A++.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arjailer
    mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By mak_wikus

@arjailer: Wait, what's your spec? I have a Pentium G3220(that's 3GHz), 8GB 1600 RAM and EVGA's SuperClocked 960 4GB, ultra settings at 1600x900 and the game dipped below 60fps ONCE at the beginning of Argent Tower(at the bit with the bridge). Other than that it's been a silky smooth ride at a steady 60fps. I don't know how high it goes, since I have adaptive v-sync enabled.

P.S. Also, I think I've got lucky with the silicon lottery. My gpu consistently boosts to 1430MHz with max 75C. No overclocking.

P.P.S. And I just realized I'm off-topic, since the game crashes for me on initial load when I enable Vulkan. Oh, maybe it won't tolerate dual cores?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.