Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

DOTA 2 goes "free to play"

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the official release of DOTA 2 drawing near, the folks at Valve have decided to abolish the need for keys to participate in the wacky, rage-inducing "fun" that is DOTA 2.

What this means for us as a community is that we can delete the key thread and hopefully welcome a whole new batch of bombers into our midst. Getting into DOTA ain't easy, mind, with it's complex design and very abstract stratagems that border on glitching the game (such as pulling and stacking). But it seems Valve is on top of that, as well. In the latest patch, Valve incorporated the foundations for a complete tutorial which, hopefully, should be done in a couple of weeks, thus lowering the entry-barrier to the game a few times over.

So, now I ask you guys; what on earth should I do with my 30-odd DOTA 2 invites?

froggeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By froggeh

You still need a key. The game has been downloadable for spectating since the last International.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

@do_the_manta_ray said:

With the official release of DOTA 2 drawing near, the folks at Valve have decided to abolish the need for keys to participate in the wacky, rage-inducing "fun" that is DOTA 2.

What this means for us as a community is that we can delete the key thread and hopefully welcome a whole new batch of bombers into our midst. Getting into DOTA ain't easy, mind, with it's complex design and very abstract stratagems that border on glitching the game (such as pulling and stacking). But it seems Valve is on top of that, as well. In the latest patch, Valve incorporated the foundations for a complete tutorial which, hopefully, should be done in a couple of weeks, thus lowering the entry-barrier to the game a few times over.

So, now I ask you guys; what on earth should I do with my 30-odd DOTA 2 invites?

That's easy.
    Click on them and then hit the "Permanently delete gift..." button.
    That's what I did with 40 keys last night.

Now if only I could do that with the stupid coupons I have in my inventory as well or the "No Longer Valid" Air-Mech gifts and Super Monday Night Combat invites.

shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So where's the DoTA 2 key landfill?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a Dota 2 joke map "Key Landfill". But yeah keeping it "invite only" at this stage is silly where anyone who wants a key can probably get 50 of them.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@do_the_manta_ray said:

That's easy.

Now if only I could do that with the stupid coupons I have in my inventory as well or the "No Longer Valid" Air-Mech gifts and Super Monday Night Combat invites.

I've heard of people creating an alternate Steam account purely to trade away their unwanted invites to it and then abandon it. I haven't done this yet, but I'm tempted to with all of these useless lingering invites for various things. Valve should really address this issue.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

digitallandfill.org/DOTA2

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I thought you initially meant no more keys as in all my chests would be opened magically. I am supremely disappointed now. Damn you brain.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

@sackmanjones said:

I thought you initially meant no more keys as in all my chests would be opened magically. I am supremely disappointed now. Damn you brain.

That would be like the end of the world or some other cataclysmic thing if you login to Steam and check your inventory and all boxes are unlocked. My first thought would be "omg, Gaben is dead or ascended to Olympus/Heaven/Xenu or something!"

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

@zeforgotten said:

@do_the_manta_ray said:

That's easy.

I've heard of people creating an alternate Steam account purely to trade away their unwanted invites to it and then abandon it. I haven't done this yet, but I'm tempted to with all of these useless lingering invites for various things. Valve should really address this issue.

It would be easy for them to add the "delete gift" button to just about everything in your steam inventory. So items and invites and the likes.
    Sadly that won't happen for a while and I'm not about to make a new account just to get rid of them.

It's weird that we can even trade those things in the first place, especially the ones that have expired.
    All I need now is one complete moron to trade stuff with. He gives me all his Trading Card things and I give him all of my expired coupons and invites to betas for games that have been out for years!

froggeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By froggeh

@shock: you can only play the tutorial and spectate. Give it a try on a new steam account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.