Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Complete ALL side quests before doing Deep Roads?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

Enjoying the game but my OCDness is preventing me from doing the Deep Roads expedition. I have more than 50 sovereign but I still find myself doing all the side quests in fear that they will dissapear after the Deep Roads quest.

Can anyone confirm/deny that the quests will all still be there when I'm done with Deep Roads? I don't want to be locked out of content.

I can imagine this game is making Vinny crazy with the endless sidequests...

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Crono11

I think you should do them all. At least that's what I did. 

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dunchad

Sidequests will disappear after you go to Deep Roads. There's 2 other similar points in the game after that as well.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RainVillain

Ugh.. Okay thanks for the advice!

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I did everything aside from some of the rumors. It honestly didn't feel too bad to do them since, even if the dungeons look alike, there seemed to always be something to learn from them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It is kind of annoying how many side quests there are to finish, which appears for all purposes to bring the story to a halt after about 4 hours... but it's an unfortunate neccessity of the design.  Most of us are capable of being patient with our money in games (as opposed to real life), so we won't be spending it on armor and potions and so on right out of the gate.  But because the main story thread requires Hawke to be able to put together 50 sovereigns, they need to have enough quests there to make sure that Hawke can continue the main story, even if a lot of money has been spent on upgrades and potions.  Otherwise you can have a situation where Hawke is out of side quests and only has 33 sovereigns, and now has to go kill spiders in the forest for six hours.

I'm not sure, but I think that Dougal quest that shows up near the end is their way around it.  I had enough at that point, so I turned him down.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aurahack

That's what I'm doing and kind of enjoying it. The side-quests are really neat in this one, even if some level stuff does repeat itself a little. More characters = more dialogue = I enjoy the game a little more every time. 

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By zidd

I completely filled out and finished my quest log before moving on. Yes I play video games like Vinny.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jkz
    @Zidd said:
    " I completely filled out and finished my quest log before moving on. Yes I play video games like Vinny. "
    This. Or, at least I play RPGs like Vinny.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ya they disappear, I finished all the sidequests too.
    But when in Act 2 they threw the same shit at me with reused levels I gave up halfway and went on with the story.
    If I want to play repetitive quests I'd play a MMO.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene
    @jukezypoo said:

" @Zidd said:

" I completely filled out and finished my quest log before moving on. Yes I play video games like Vinny. "
    This. Or, at least I play RPGs like Vinny. "
    Same.  I did everything.  It appears that many secondary and side quests will lead to additional quests in the later acts. 

But also, this is what these types of RPGs are all about for me.  I can't believe people who completed this game (or say they did) in 5 hours.  It probably took me a good 20 hours to get through Act 1.  But then, I am that kind of person that goes around talking to people, doing all the side quests, etc.  I enjoy that in these games, and it increases the lifespan of the game, which is a big plus.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Hunkulese

The sidequests are the best part of the game. And you don't have to worry about saving your gold. There is an option to let someone else cover the fee for you.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

You can get around 100+ soverigns before going to deep roads

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " Ya they disappear, I finished all the sidequests too. But when in Act 2 they threw the same shit at me with reused levels I gave up halfway and went on with the story.  "
    FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

After I beat the game I was reading about it online and discovered that by skipping some of the side quests and heading for the Deep Roads I completely missed out on this character named Fenris. Never met him, never joined my party... oops :)

I did think something was funny about how all through the game I was finding two handed weapons and none of my characters could use them.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343
    @bigmuffpi: Not only will they disappear, but not doing them will prevent certain quests from appearing in later acts. 

Hypothetical situation: 
    - Act 1: duder, thieves killed my wife 
    - Act 2: yo, thanks about earlier. I've heard that my wife is actually still alive. Go find her. 
    - Act 3: you saved her, but man, I wish she was dead. Go kill her. 

There are certain situations where decisions you make in earlier affect how / which quests play out. So, killing the dudes without asking questions may lead to not knowing about the wife being alive.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zidd
    @melcene: By exploring the world you can really see how much effort was put into it. You also get all of the party members and their backstories and sidequests. 

@FunkasaurusRex: Fenris is a badass make sure you don't miss out on having him in your party in any subsequent plays.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By probablytuna

Yeah I just completed my second last side quest and I've got 101 sovereigns now. Now I just have to save an important man's son before I traverse the Deep Roads....

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
    I missed Fenris as well. Oh well, I guess that will make my next playthrough a little more interesting.
    indus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By indus

Make sure you also pick up some of the companion armors from vendors, I didn't even realize they sold them until Act 2.

jok3rxfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By jok3rxfear

Yes. You lose all the quests from act 1 once you decide to go for the deep roads expedition. And deep roads is extremely hard if you go there under leveled on Nightmare mode. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    "But when in Act 2 they threw the same shit at me with reused levels I gave up halfway and went on with the story."
    Yep. Same here. 
    SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SilverBulletKY
    @indus said:

" Make sure you also pick up some of the companion armors from vendors, I didn't even realize they sold them until Act 2. "

I didn't know that either.  You can buy different armor types for your companions??  I thought you could just switch out rings, belts, etc.

Anyway.. if you do ALL of the sidequests, the last sidequest available will get you in to the expedition even if you don't have all the money.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @SilverBulletKY said:
    " @indus said:

" Make sure you also pick up some of the companion armors from vendors, I didn't even realize they sold them until Act 2. "

I didn't know that either.  You can buy different armor types for your companions??  I thought you could just switch out rings, belts, etc.

Anyway.. if you do ALL of the sidequests, the last sidequest available will get you in to the expedition even if you don't have all the money.

"
    Pretty sure that only gives you some improved stats and added enchantment slots to their armors. 
    Can't imagine there's any different armor types per say. If you look under their designated armor you see four small slots. Think I managed to fill two on Isabela or something but that's because I didn't know you could buy them from vendors.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zidd

Any time you are unable to go back they do a good job of telling you to wrap up your business beforehand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.