Do I just suck or...? (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Did this game get totally unfair all of a sudden? I've had a decent challenge with it so far, I've died a fair few times, always being aware of what I did wrong.
 
But then I got to Orzammar.  
 
Every single room in the Dead Trenches had a fight in it the likes of which I'd usually get after every 15 fights or so. A bunch of random smaller dudes led by an ogre...coming at you from both sides! And remember how the Shrieks gave ranged enemies a chance to murder you while you dealt with their long health bar? How about 5 of them! 5 from both directions!
And then 3 ogres! From different directions!
You want a break? Here's Broodmother!
After the Broodmother, here's 5 seconds of story...and several waves of enemies! After the enemies, a room filled with golems! The next room is also filled with Golems! 
 
Like...be difficult if you want to, game, but be a little fair. Throw me a shop or something on the way, geez. My inventory has been full for the past 4 hours =D
 
TOPIC CHANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
 
Another thing I want to mention. A BIG deal has been made about the choices in this game. Am I playing the wrong game or something? Because all of the choices so far (Other than the demonchild one) have boiled down to "Okay, now pick a side. Now, fight the other side" And always the side you were sent to murder ends up being the good guys because you weren't told everything.
 
I do wonder though how the demonchild choice would have gone down if you wouldn't  have freed the prisoner beforehand.

#2 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

I want an RPG that will let me choose my favourite option of kill everybody and kill anybody that questions it and then kill everybody that doesn't question it because I know they are inside.
 
Dead Trenches were a treat, that's for sure, and broodmother and her many titties were the icing on that delicious midget quest line cake.

#3 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

I didn't really have any extra troubles with Orzammar, though I am playing on easy so I guess that doesn't really say anything :P Buy some more backpacks :P 
 
About the choices, I don't think that they always set you up to kill the good guys in the end, it's just that in some of the choices you have to make, both sides are kind of evil in some way and good in some other.

#4 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

And how the sweet fuck are you supposed to fight Branka? The golems alone are a pain in the arse.

#5 Posted by labam89 (312 posts) -

Glyphs and hexes help a lot, same with AOE spells(ice blast in particular). Just be sure to keep Branka on your tank and have your healer focus mainly on them. I found keeping Branka hex'd/frozen/petrified made the fight go a lot smoother.

#6 Posted by threeve (199 posts) -

Well Orzammar was the last of my recruitment trips, so I guess it helped I was pretty high level when I got there.  Didn't have much trouble, thought brood mother was a pretty fun fight, and Branka was too.  It was a long trip in the deep roads though.

#7 Posted by AwesomeRory (97 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
"A BIG deal has been made about the choices in this game. Am I playing the wrong game or something? Because all of the choices so far (Other than the demonchild one) have boiled down to "Okay, now pick a side. Now, fight the other side" And always the side you were sent to murder ends up being the good guys because you weren't told everything."
 
Do you think before you pick a side or do you just close your eyes and point your finger on the screen and choose whatever it lands on?
#8 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I took a break from DA:O before doing Orzammar, this is scaring me 

#9 Edited by j_drace (353 posts) -

 @Ventilaator:  I had the same problem of my first playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins.  I was about 13 hours into it and was doing the side quest in Denerim where you need to clear out the abandoned building and I was having a very hard time doing it.  I was getting really pissed off.  So I started to think about the game and realized that it was traditional rpg and that I really fucked up my party and my stats.  So I restarted the game and everything was much better.  One thing I would recommend is get Wynne as soon as possible so that you have a healer right off the bat.  Also a good party is Alistair as Tank, Lelianna as a Ranger, Morrigan as a caster, and Wynne as the healer.  You could also substitute yourself for whichever role you fit into.  Another good party would be the traditional party of a Tank, Rogue, Caster, and Healer, but I found the previous party more effective and it helped me whoop the Dragon's ass when I was doing the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest.  That way you have the tank attacking and having the dragon focus on him the whole time and you also have Lelianna attacking from a distance as well as Morrigan who really fucks them up if you choose the right spells and you have Wynne constantly healing the tank so no one is actually taking any damage.  Also set their tactics too, that helps a bunch. 

#10 Posted by BC_ (169 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:
" I took a break from DA:O before doing Orzammar, this is scaring me  "
Oh, it's not that bad :)
#11 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -
@AwesomeRory said:

" @Ventilaator said:

"A BIG deal has been made about the choices in this game. Am I playing the wrong game or something? Because all of the choices so far (Other than the demonchild one) have boiled down to "Okay, now pick a side. Now, fight the other side" And always the side you were sent to murder ends up being the good guys because you weren't told everything."
 Do you think before you pick a side or do you just close your eyes and point your finger on the screen and choose whatever it lands on? "
The demonchild choice was an example of a choice situation done well. You weren't simply picking a side, you had to handle a situation, but all of your choices to do so were bad.
 
With the werewolves, it was quite obvious that Zathrian was the idiot there. WIth Branka and Caridin, you had a complete lunatic telling you to destroy everything and a seriously tortured soul who wanted to rid the world of evil.
 
NOT that much better than your usual good-evil choice.
 
I've heard that some serious shit goes down in the ending though, so that makes me hopeful.
#12 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
" @AwesomeRory said:

" @Ventilaator said:

"A BIG deal has been made about the choices in this game. Am I playing the wrong game or something? Because all of the choices so far (Other than the demonchild one) have boiled down to "Okay, now pick a side. Now, fight the other side" And always the side you were sent to murder ends up being the good guys because you weren't told everything."
 Do you think before you pick a side or do you just close your eyes and point your finger on the screen and choose whatever it lands on? "
The demonchild choice was an example of a choice situation done well. You weren't simply picking a side, you had to handle a situation, but all of your choices to do so were bad.  With the werewolves, it was quite obvious that Zathrian was the idiot there. WIth Branka and Caridin, you had a complete lunatic telling you to destroy everything and a seriously tortured soul who wanted to rid the world of evil.  NOT that much better than your usual good-evil choice.  I've heard that some serious shit goes down in the ending though, so that makes me hopeful. "
But if you chose to side with the werewolves, then you potentially lost the Elves as allies (Presumably not knowing that the werewolves would replace them.)
Same with Branka, siding with her earns the voice of a Paragon, and a potential army of Golems in your fight against the Darkspawn.
 
These choices do have consequences beyond good or bad stuff happening.
#13 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
@Ventilaator: Actually there is a good option but it depends on how you handle the Circle.  There is a happy ending to the forest, can't tell if you got it or not.  Destroying the Anvil means that you remove one of the dwarves' best weapons (and likely only temporarily at best)  And wait till you find out about who you choose for king....
#14 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
#15 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

As soon as I got out of Orzammar I stopped dieing as often. I went and murderized

on my first try.
 
Can anyone tell me in a non-spoilery way how much putting stuff in the allies' boxes in your camp matters in the long run?
#16 Posted by threeve (199 posts) -

Considering I hardly even used the bonuses that I think I got from doing that, I would say you don't need to give them anything.  That was on normal difficulty.  So far, nightmare is a good bit tougher, but I'm only at the beginning, so I don't know if I can really say for sure.

#17 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
@Ventilaator: Not much really.  It gives them better equipment but I really didn't need to use any of them anyway.  (The one fight I really wanted the help they aren't available, bastards).  However you do get EXP for putting stuff in the crates so its worthwhile to do so for that reason.
#18 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.