Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DeviantJoker

As I stare at the calendar in hopes that I may will October 20th to come with my mind -- I was thinking about fetching up this book for a reading over the coming weekend. While I don't imagine in between its cover is the holy grail of literary brilliance, I do hope to be given an interesting look and mental picture of the world Bioware is crafting up for me. I'm especially interested to see if I can get the feel for the 'second-rate citizenry' of the Elves.

Anyone else read through the book and would share an opinion, hopefully without any spoilers if possible.

hamchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By hamchan

Although I have not read the book for myself I have heard from various people that it's quite bad!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

You can read a sample of it at their site. Its kinda awful. And its the same guy who's head writer for the game. So if you're expecting A Song of Ice and Fire for some reason, lower the bar. Throw the bar on the floor, really. This dude's a dime-store novelist. If you accidentally grab Dragon King or Dragon Aids or Draken Age you'll have about as good a read and you may not even notice.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname
    @ryanwho: I never took to A song of fire and Ice, and that's right up my street in terms of what it delivers, however I've never read a book based on a game, the idea of that just makes me instantly think it's gonna be naf. If you do get it tell me if it's good because this is one game that's I'm going to play.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeviantJoker

Thanks for the feedback folks. I guess it's a safe thing I'm going in with very low expectations. I can't say I'm surprise. I think video games turn into this black hole of cross-over. Not that my knowledge is extensive, but I can only think of a couple of exceptions where something went from one media into video games, or vice versa and was anything but big ol' flop.

That being said, I'm still getting it. I'm thinking it will, at the very least, provide me some sort of entertainment. I did pick up the Mass Effect book before the game came out - and while I don't remember the book being great - I remember having a particular clear picture of Sarek before the game started and I felt that was to my advantage when 'immersing' myself into the RPG side of the game.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeviantJoker

Just got done reading the book and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'm not a big critic to begin with, but I really feel like the book really got me into the feel of the characters and gave me an excited out-look on how the script for the upcoming game may be. I'm hoping the game does just a good a job in making me actually care about the characters, I think that will only help draw me into the game more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.