Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons of Dredmor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 13, 2011

Explore the dangerous diggle-infested dungeons of Lord Dredmor in this comical, graphical roguelike RPG. Just don't smell of fear and lutefisk.

Has anyone cheated?

RashDendar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RashDendar

I had just gotten the fire trap skill on the promethean tree and killed myself while trying it out. In the heat of the moment, I shut off my computer and resumed from my last save. I know this doesn't jive with the roguelike spirit but I was way too attached to my guy! Has anyone else pulled a similar trick?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

I'm not playing this game but i assure you i have done similar things in the past

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

How is that cheating?

I started playing the game with permadeath, then the game crashed twice and I just thought 'fuck this' and started saving my games instead. Really, there's no good reason to use permadeath. *cue the roguelike purist from the Dungeons of Dredmor hate thread* =/

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

No haven't cheated in DoD.

RashDendar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RashDendar

The thing about permadeath that appealed to me was the weird zen-like "these levels do not matter" state it would force me to occupy. For instance,  I would just barrel through 100 Rogues games like nothing. But once I'm engaged in a more robust game, the skills and gear start to matter a lot more to me and that aestheticism falls right off. And this feels like cheating for some reason.

antoniocmf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By antoniocmf

No cheating ..... but play with no permadeath is the same thing

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

Man the farthest I have gotten is the 5th floor. So far I have about 8 or 9 dead guys and I still refuse to take off permadeath.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Immuniity

@BeachThunder said:

How is that cheating? I started playing the game with permadeath, then the game crashed twice and I just thought 'fuck this' and started saving my games instead. Really, there's no good reason to use permadeath. *cue the roguelike purist from the Dungeons of Dredmor hate thread* =/

I enjoy permadeath as it motivates me to be more careful and really try harder with my character then if i had a safety net.

Its a risky way to play and i can understand it doesnt appeal to some people but i enjoy the deeper bond i form with the character and the rush of having 6 hours of play being ruined because of one wrong move.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

Permadeath is great it motivates you to be a better player.  The only time I've reset is when I got seriously fucked one time.   Was headed to shop guy ambushed me right at the shop and detonated the AOE defensive spell I had on which aggroed the shop keep who promptly kicked my sorry ass. 

I got to the 4th stage tonight by sheer luck with permadeath and its exciting as hell  coming out of encounters barely alive 

liquid3600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By liquid3600

I turned off permadeath to master all the skills and see which ones I liked.  I'll never play in earnest with it off though. If you get attached to a character, don't play recklessly.  If he dies just make a new character with the same skill set.  I've lost so many guys due to stupid mistakes like failing to see a trap, or casting my fire dragon next to the shopkeeper but I just learn from the dumb mistakes and try not to repeat them.  Going through a game like this with no risk of dying seems like much more a waste of time than just starting over cause anybody can beat this with no skill as long as you're saving after every encounter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.