Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors

Franchise »

Dynasty Warriors is a franchise of hack-and-slash video games based on the classic Chinese novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, developed by Omega Force and distributed by Koei (now Tecmo-Koei).

What is the best Dynasty Warriors game on PS2?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

For all of you who enjoy the Dynasty Warrior games, which on the PS2 did you think was best? 

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#2  Edited By psykhophear

I don't really have a favorite but the one that I remember the most was Dynasty Warriors 3 because it was one of the first PS2 games I ever played.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

The one where it's not Dynasty Warriors.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " The one where it's not Dynasty Warriors. "
    lolz ur so funnay!!11

Shut up.

I'm partial to Dynasty Warriors 4 on the PS2.  DW5 had its ups, but it felt like they were finally hitting the wall as far as development on the PS2 was concerned.  DW4 had a great selection of characters and stages, and it's still the entry in which I played quite possibly the most hectic Dynasty Warriors battle I may ever fight.  The Liu Bei Nanman Campaign battle had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, especially since the entire damn minimap was red with enemy troops.  Holy crap, that was a crazy one.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hailinel said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " The one where it's not Dynasty Warriors. "
    lolz ur so funnay!!11

Shut up.

I'm partial to Dynasty Warriors 4 on the PS2.  DW5 had its ups, but it felt like they were finally hitting the wall as far as development on the PS2 was concerned.  DW4 had a great selection of characters and stages, and it's still the entry in which I played quite possibly the most hectic Dynasty Warriors battle I may ever fight.  The Liu Bei Nanman Campaign battle had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, especially since the entire damn minimap was red with enemy troops.  Holy crap, that was a crazy one. "
    ThX brah, I knoes how funNiez I am...

I won't shut up. Every possible iteration of that game is ass, and I won't condone it, even by just saying, hey it's not my thing. Even though hey, it's just not my thing, because... my thing isn't shitty games...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @LiquidPrince:  I wasn't aware you were such an expert on the series.  When was the last time you played one?
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I've only ever player Dynasty Warriors 3, it was surprisingly fun considering the repetitiveness.

CodeMcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CodeMcK

I'm a fan of 4 as well, although I didn't play any prior to that. DW: Gundam is also a ton of fun too.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hailinel:  Oh so now you want to ask me a reasonable question, before being an ass, and just telling me to shut up. As for your answer, I played a considerable amount of 6 at a friends house, and I tried some of that Gundam version. Both really irked me in every way. Poor graphics, empty lifeless arenas, repetitive action, barely any voice work. All it was, was the same group of character models replicated in an arena setting, where you had to go around and stab stab stab.

So unless I'm missing a golden iteration that is just mind blowing, I stand by my "it's terrible."
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @LiquidPrince:   To be fair, you were the one being an ass first.  Treat others as you want to be treated, bud.

• Poor graphics?:  Eh, they're not going to win any technical graphics awards, but I think the games look fine.
    • Empty arenas?:  I'm not sure what you mean by empty in this context.  There's generally lots of dudes that need a sound beating.
    • Repetitive action?:  So what's wrong with that?  Some people enjoy a good, simple brawler.  I'm not playing these games looking for Ninja Gaiden.
    • Barely any voice work?:  What.  There's plenty of voice work in those games.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hailinel:  Not really. 

• Poor graphics?: Yes, pretty damn poor. Even the ones from this generation look terrible let alone the older ones.
    • Empty arenas?:  Dudes, yes, and not much else. No effective scenery aside from a castle or river or whatever.
    • Repetitive action?:  Sure, you can enjoy that, more power to you. I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed a repetitive game or two. Just not this one, simply because it doesn't have anything that makes me feel like the repetition is worth it.
    • Barely any voice work?: Yes, barely. Very text heavy game.

By all means, enjoy the game, as you do. But It's not really a game I'll understand the love for. Maybe you should explain what makes it a good game, and why it has deserved the numerous sequels it has gotten because I truly see no reason.
    drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By drowsap

there all bad but  if i had to chose 1 it would have to be 3

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Hailinel:  Not really. 

• Poor graphics?: Yes, pretty damn poor. Even the ones from this generation look terrible let alone the older ones.
    • Empty arenas?:  Dudes, yes, and not much else. No effective scenery aside from a castle or river or whatever.
    • Repetitive action?:  Sure, you can enjoy that, more power to you. I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed a repetitive game or two. Just not this one, simply because it doesn't have anything that makes me feel like the repetition is worth it.
    • Barely any voice work?: Yes, barely. Very text heavy game.
     By all means, enjoy the game, as you do. But It's not really a game I'll understand the love for. Maybe you should explain what makes it a good game, and why it has deserved the numerous sequels it has gotten because I truly see no reason. "
    Yes, really.  When you open the door with dickery, expect to meet dickery in return.

The other items are debatable, but you must have had your volume down or something, because those games feature plenty of voice work.

Why do I like them?  They're simple, they're fun, and they cover subject matter I'm interested in in way a way that I find entertaining.  Each sequel offers up new characters and tweaks the mechanics to change things up.  Some efforts aren't as effective as others (DW5, as I mentioned above), but others have been very, very worthwhile.  I plugged hundreds of hours into all the various iterations, and frankly, that's really all it boils down to.  Simple, fun gameplay, interesting subject matter, a tweak here and there.  I'm sold.  Hell, I've already put nearly 50 hours into Samurai Warriors 3 and I still have to pick up Fist of the North Star.
    icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By icicle7x3

3 or 4, but Im more fond of 3.

What?

Everybody has a guilty pleasure.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @LiquidPrince: I will say that the draw distance can be painful in many Dynasty Warrior games. Other than that the series has maintained a passable level of graphical quality.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hailinel:  Sure. I disagree with all that though. It seems to me that your love of the subkect matter, or era sort of pushes your love for the game forward.
    @SathingtonWaltz: Eh. Passable for me is still higher then what Dynasty Warriors provide. A game for me that has passable graphics, just by looking off my shelf would be something like Xmen Origins Wolverine. Not great, but alright.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald

I can't even tell them apart.

cao_cao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cao_cao

The dynasty warriors series aren't for everyone for one you need to love the characters and know where they come from (romance of the three kingdoms novel). I myself wasn't a big fan since the first game of the series I played was the sixth which know that I think about it it's not too bad. But when I was younger all I looked for in a game was graphics and good visuals ( yes ,that's it). I recently bought the 8th game and played for countless of hours. The game makes me crave for more of the three kingdoms. Heck it even made me want to read the book, and I'm NOT a book person. I have since started playing the series down and found out I actually enjoy these simple but unforgettable games. Don't judge the game by its graphics but by its story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.