Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2015

Concept »

The twenty-first annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 16-18, 2015 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

The E3 2015 streams are on... Youtube?

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I notice that all the GB E3 streams have popped up in YT subscriber feeds (e.g. Bethesda is here).

I'm sure its been Twitch up til now...? (If it hasn't I apologise, and please ignore the following ramble).

One question springs to mind: Have Youtube improved their streaming player/backend at all recently? The limited amount of exposure in the past has shown it to be somewhat lacking in a number of areas.

A few things I like about Twitch include being able to view VODs pretty quickly if I missed a section; as well as being able to switch quality levels if one bugs out or my connection slows.

Its not a problem at all, and I'm sure the GB folks have their reasons; just wondering if I'm missing the bigger picture.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Youtube streaming is fantastic.

There was a glorious weekend when they weren't taking down sport that was hosted on there, and I had no complaints.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bluesun said:

I notice that all the GB E3 streams have popped up in YT subscriber feeds (e.g. Bethesda is here).

I'm sure its been Twitch up til now...? (If it hasn't I apologise, and please ignore the following ramble).

One question springs to mind: Have Youtube improved their streaming player/backend at all recently? The limited amount of exposure in the past has shown it to be somewhat lacking in a number of areas.

A few things I like about Twitch include being able to view VODs pretty quickly if I missed a section; as well as being able to switch quality levels if one bugs out or my connection slows.

Its not a problem at all, and I'm sure the GB folks have their reasons; just wondering if I'm missing the bigger picture.

I've watched a few youtube streams since they introduced the service and they have been absolutely fine. Good quality and everything. And there's no twitch chat and retards spamming emoticons for no reason at all hours. I'm all for any alternative to that cesspool.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hayt

I was wondering about this actually. I have a commitment when the streams are live and want to watch them after but I also want to avoid "spoilers". The problem is the second I google e3 ubisoft conference to find a stream recording it'll also bring up all the headlines.

Is there a way to bookmark where the streams will be so I can go on the day avoiding the other stuff?

Edit: to clarify I mean the raw streams not the ones with GB commentary

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@amafi: Fair enough. The YT streams I experienced must have been low quality to begin with.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Twitch has been incredibly hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's a hitchey mess and even lowering the quality to LOW settings doesn't fix it.

I've never really had problems with YouTube so if there is an alternative in case my stream is unwatchable on Twitch then I'm all for it.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The entire star wars celebration stream stuff was on youtube and it was fine. you can even scrub(?) back and pause and wahtever so they are etter than twitch.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amafi

@humanity said:

Twitch has been incredibly hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's a hitchey mess and even lowering the quality to LOW settings doesn't fix it.

I've never really had problems with YouTube so if there is an alternative in case my stream is unwatchable on Twitch then I'm all for it.

Less of an issue lately it seems, but I do sometimes have to disconnect from twitch, connect through a US vpn and then reconnect to twitch to get bandwidth. The throttling of non-us connections is not quite as aggressive as the old "there are too many people from your country connected, try later" garbage they did super early on. I used to mod a couple channels on justin that showed super illegal copyrighted stuff for a couple of years, and it was a constant problem getting mods actually connected at times.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@amafi: Oh is that the issue? I've always had huge problems trying to stream anything through a VPN. Maybe I'll give that a try in the future. For a while I thought it was just Chrome, which is weird for streaming video - like I sometimes have to restart chrome in the middle of Unprofessional Fridays or longer streams because I'll run out of space on my HD.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I always find the colours are really washed out in YT streams because of the compression they use. Always prefered the high qualities on Twitch to HD on YT. I think you can rewind instantly on YT though, which is nice?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@amafi: Oh is that the issue? I've always had huge problems trying to stream anything through a VPN. Maybe I'll give that a try in the future. For a while I thought it was just Chrome, which is weird for streaming video - like I sometimes have to restart chrome in the middle of Unprofessional Fridays or longer streams because I'll run out of space on my HD.

Never really messed with any public vpn service, I rent a vps in atlanta that I run openvpn on, never had an issue with it. Sometimes the spike is 600% more bandwith as soon as I have an american IP. F twitch.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well one nice thing is that YouTube will automatically archive it for them, so for a while YT might be the only (or best place) to watch it if you can't catch it live. I did some test streams with YouTube a while ago and the archives were near instant, even when it was like 2+ hours of footage.

TN04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I watch, riot hosts the LCS on youtube, twitch, and azubu. Youtube is great for rewinding and pausing stuff. I'd say the quality is better on twitch anyways (if you have the connection for it) but I assume that the standard gaint bomb player would be used for chat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.