Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports Active 2.0

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The second installment in the EA Sports Active franchise, and the first to be released on platforms other than the Wii.

Do fitness games really work? I'm going to find out.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RE_Player1

Hey bombers with all these fitness games coming out I was wondering, do they really work? We see all these reviews and articles about these games and they all seem positive but we don't see what happens if we actually use these games for months. I've decided to buy EA Sports Active 2.0 for the PS3 when it comes out and use it for 90 days and see if I lose weight, get stronger, and improve my health all around. I will be making a blog post before the game comes showing my starting weight etc, an unboxing post, a post after 1 or 2 days to make sure I have all the equipment needed, and from than on out I will be making a blog post every 5 days to show my results and feelings on the game. Now you may be asking why am I blogging about this? Well there are a number of reasons: 

- It will help keep me motivated knowing I have to make a post here on my favourite video game site. 
    - My writing and reviewing skills will hopefully get better. 
    - I want to give something back to the community seeing as this site has entertained me so much.  
    - I get to test my flip video and video editing skills for clips I record. 
    - (Hopefully) I can get in better shape after this is over.  

You can follow my upcoming series of blogs if you want and if you get something out of it great, if this isn't your type of thing than you have no obligation to follow. 

Wish me luck....       
    Wish me luck....       
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

Hey bombers with all these fitness games coming out I was wondering, do they really work? We see all these reviews and articles about these games and they all seem positive but we don't see what happens if we actually use these games for months. I've decided to buy EA Sports Active 2.0 for the PS3 when it comes out and use it for 90 days and see if I lose weight, get stronger, and improve my health all around. I will be making a blog post before the game comes showing my starting weight etc, an unboxing post, a post after 1 or 2 days to make sure I have all the equipment needed, and from than on out I will be making a blog post every 5 days to show my results and feelings on the game. Now you may be asking why am I blogging about this? Well there are a number of reasons: 

- It will help keep me motivated knowing I have to make a post here on my favourite video game site. 
    - My writing and reviewing skills will hopefully get better. 
    - I want to give something back to the community seeing as this site has entertained me so much.  
    - I get to test my flip video and video editing skills for clips I record. 
    - (Hopefully) I can get in better shape after this is over.  

You can follow my upcoming series of blogs if you want and if you get something out of it great, if this isn't your type of thing than you have no obligation to follow. 

Wish me luck....       
    Wish me luck....       
    Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Godot

Hey, good luck. I'd love to see the benefits of these games past fun and a short-term sense of well-being.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By oatz

Work? Losing weight is as simple as two words: calorie deficit. If you eat a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Exercise speeds up the process a ton, and whether you decide to do it using mediocre "workouts" like the ones in these games (I mean seriously, look at the Your Shape quick look. Punching in the air 15 times, then wasting 3 minutes going through a menu picking your next exercise?) or do proper 40-60 minute cardiovascular sessions is up to you.  

Losing weight is fucking easy, you've just been tricked by the media and all the dumb complex diets surrounding them. And games like this.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bestostero
    What oatz true, but that doesn't mean working out isn't beneficial, you might lose weight, but you can still be flabby and what not.  Working out helps you tone your body and lose difficult body fat you wouldn't normally lose with just dieting.  Also, if you restrict your calories too much, you might lose muscle weight and not actual body fat weight.  You have to do both for "healthy" weight loss.  Plus working out and fitness in general is a great way to reduce stress too.
    oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oatz
    @xhavoc86 said:

" What oatz true, but that doesn't mean working out isn't beneficial, you might lose weight, but you can still be flabby and what not.  Working out helps you tone your body and lose difficult body fat you wouldn't normally lose with just dieting.  Also, if you restrict your calories too much, you might lose muscle weight and not actual body fat weight.  You have to do both for "healthy" weight loss.  Plus working out and fitness in general is a great way to reduce stress too. "

I didn't say exercise isn't beneficial (it is extremely beneficial), I said a calorie deficit is what will cause weight loss. You can't do cardio, then eat a calorie surplus and expect to lose weight; you won't. I love exercising, it's a fantastic way to stay healthy and look good; I was pointing out how this is game is an example of EA cashing out on people's ignorance on the subject, treating them to mediocre workouts and filling them with false hope.

Oh, and if you mean "toning" in the "do situps to get a flat stomach" sense, that is total bull.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1
    @oatz: I understand where your coming from. I'm in no way overweight or in desperate need to lose weight, maybe a pound or two here and there. The whole reason I am doing this is because I have always been curious in workout games ever since Wii Fit. Before September I was really active but ever since university started I have just been sitting in a chair and feeling lazy. Instead of just running and lifting weights, like I usually do, I've decided to try something new and get the most out of it, I listed the benefits I would receive in my first post. 
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By floodiastus
    @oatz said:

" Work? Losing weight is as simple as two words: calorie deficit. If you eat a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Exercise speeds up the process a ton, and whether you decide to do it using mediocre "workouts" like the ones in these games (I mean seriously, look at the Your Shape quick look. Punching in the air 15 times, then wasting 3 minutes going through a menu picking your next exercise?) or do proper 40-60 minute cardiovascular sessions is up to you.  

Losing weight is fucking easy, you've just been tricked by the media and all the dumb complex diets surrounding them. And games like this. "

That is the problem I found with all training games out there, you do an exercise for 1 minute, then it takes 2 minutes to navigate to the next one.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1
    @floodiastus: Ya that may be a drawback and I'll be sure to mention that if it's present in the game. Along with the blog posts updating my status I'll post impressions of the game overall and perhaps a review at the end of it. The first EA Sports Active reviewed well, 81 currently on metacritic, so hopefully this one is even better. 
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By eric_buck

Gooooooood luck!

P_R_0_G_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By P_R_0_G_Z

I also wanted to know how good these work out programs are. But I kinda think this game would work the best with Xbox Kincet. But dunno since the PS3 uses the camera also Im sure it will work just as much. Im pretty sure Im going to buy this for my PS3 also. Not sure if it will be when it is released or when I will do it. But I do think 99.99$ is kinda expensive just because of a little extra things you get. But hey! It helps within the game. And yeah I deff think this workout game is more "efficient" then say punchin the air 15 times considering it does legs, arms, upper body, etc.

Beefcake101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Beefcake101

Good Luck. I was way overweight when EA Active came out and I used it until EA Active More Workouts came out and I've been using that one since. Over the course of about 16 months I lost 140lbs (337->197). EA Active has been a big part of that. It didn't hurt that I stopped drinking and started eating whole foods. (Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants). This program has been a big help because I have a full time job, two kids, etc. I don't have time to go to the gym but I do have 40 minutes/ 4 days a week. I bought Active 2.0 but I haven't started using it yet. Hopefully it will be a step forward for this genre.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.