Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elemental: War of Magic

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Elemental: War of Magic is a post-apocalyptic, fantasy, turn-based strategy game with Role Playing elements.

Game is out early! Woooo!

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By kwyee

http://forums.elementalgame.com/391264     

For pre-orderers I think. I'm downloading it now, and Impulse is reporting last updated 8/22/2010 

Looks like a sleepless nite :D

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Yep! STOKED.
    Tryptophan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tryptophan

I can't wait for this, well, one more day?

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By zor

wow... this is one of the few times i have been caught completely by surprise on a game release.  I don't know why exactly, but i was sure that this game was delayed until next year... and then saw articles about it popping up today... and well... :)  

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By kwyee

So apparently this is only open to those who pre-ordered: http://forums.elementalgame.com/391533     

Also, it's the "Gold" version (i.e. the version sent to retailers).   On Tuesday, Stardock expects to release a Day 0 patch, which should fix some of the problems, tweak balance, etc.   As a side note, I love the transparency and level of dedication at Stardock;  this day 0 patch was the work they did in the 1.5 weeks between release to manufacturing and actual general availability.

Anyways, some of my initial takeaways (note: this is the 'gold' version, not 'day 0 patch'): 

• Spent ~7 hrs, over 2 games
    • Some balance issues (Magnar race killed me the first game so I tried them on the second and found they have a unit with >2x the HP of other units...hum..)
    • Couple of bugs (was able to build > 1 of the same improvement in a single city, cloth map disappears when you bring up the options menu, couple of CTD but restarting/loading is fast and there's autosave)
    • Tactical combat is fast and way more fun than I expected!
    • Organized trait + high movement == large stack of highly mobile units == force recon :D
    • The spells animate fast (hate waiting 30s for a spell in other games) and are beautiful
    • Map graphics are really nice and stylized; but I keep using the cloth map b/c it's easier to see resources/etc.
    • Music is nice and catchy
    • Ummmm, I was up till 6am ... pretty addictive
    zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By zor

Can't wait until tonight, so i can buy/download the game (although i have heard that pre-orders people can download the game now, but i don't know if that means if i buy the game now (digital) if i can download it now, since it is still technically a pre-order)... 

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab
    @kwyee said:
    "So apparently this is only open to those who pre-ordered: http://forums.elementalgame.com/391533     

Also, it's the "Gold" version (i.e. the version sent to retailers).   On Tuesday, Stardock expects to release a Day 0 patch, which should fix some of the problems, tweak balance, etc.   As a side note, I love the transparency and level of dedication at Stardock;  this day 0 patch was the work they did in the 1.5 weeks between release to manufacturing and actual general availability.

Anyways, some of my initial takeaways (note: this is the 'gold' version, not 'day 0 patch'): 
    • Spent ~7 hrs, over 2 games
    • Some balance issues (Magnar race killed me the first game so I tried them on the second and found they have a unit with >2x the HP of other units...hum..)
    • Couple of bugs (was able to build > 1 of the same improvement in a single city, cloth map disappears when you bring up the options menu, couple of CTD but restarting/loading is fast and there's autosave)
    • Tactical combat is fast and way more fun than I expected!
    • Organized trait + high movement == large stack of highly mobile units == force recon :D
    • The spells animate fast (hate waiting 30s for a spell in other games) and are beautiful
    • Map graphics are really nice and stylized; but I keep using the cloth map b/c it's easier to see resources/etc.
    • Music is nice and catchy
    • Ummmm, I was up till 6am ... pretty addictive
    "

Yeah, I blasted through a few hours of it last night. Was mostly faffing about, so there was a lot of my blundering around bewildered as to what I should do. Once I scaled back to beginner, I had the proper breathing room to . Still took me entirely too long to figure out how to cast spells on the map. Still trying to figure out what I need to do to cast in-combat spells. Selecting units and giving them orders is a little jittery and definitely had a fistful of crashes over the course of the night. I like that you can scale how often the game autosaves, though.  

Overall, huge fan of the art style. The design for researching spells and technology is great. 

Still testing out the viability of a pure diplomacy and/or magic builds - currently, it looks like I'll always need some guards to keep things keeping on. Really looking forward to the Dynasty aspect of the game, which I'll probably have time to explore a bit tonight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.