Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Fallout 4 Has No Level Cap; Keep Playing After Story Ends

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane

In the middle of Gamescom 2015, Bethesda has posted on their official Twitter and Fallout Facebook pages that Fallout 4 will have no level cap, and that the player can keep playing after the main story ends.

With the merging of Perks and Skills under the governance of the player's SPECIAL stats, it will be interesting to see how much you can truly level up and if you can completely max out one single character. Not to mention of the reports that developers have spent upwards of 400 hours in the game and still continue to find new things.

What is your anticipation level for Fallout 4 now, given the new details today and those that have come out the past month during QuakeCon and GamesCom?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good news. I hate level caps.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably means all the enemies scale with you.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2turnt4davault

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's rad. I'm at peak excitement for this thing.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Interesting, sounds like what they eventually did with Skyrim. With the legendary skill system you could level infinitely.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mods on pc are gonna be sick. I'm stoked

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yep, epic battles are ahead...

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just hope what happened with me and New Vegas doesn't happen with 4, where I lost any interest in playing even a minute more upon finishing the main story. That happens to me with most open world games, but the ending of New Vegas was a big let down for me, totally put me off the game. I can't remember what the ending even was now, just remember not liking it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

That's rad.

Perfect.

I am hyped beyond belief for this.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Thanks, that was, uh, totally intentional.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Atwa

I like level caps, it gives you clearly defined character builds to aim for, rather than just, "eh ill get everything eventually"

Don't think its a huge deal though, playing after finishing campaign I think should be a nobrainer.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Not having a level cap is appreciated. Nothing bugged me more in games when you maxed out your level and were unable to keep leveling up due to the cap. Also, it is awesome that they are doing what they did with Fallout 3 (allowing you to play after you beat the main story, although Fallout 3 needed the Broken Steel DLC to make that happen). November can't come soon enough!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By citizenkane

@atwa said:

I like level caps, it gives you clearly defined character builds to aim for, rather than just, "eh ill get everything eventually"

Don't think its a huge deal though, playing after finishing campaign I think should be a nobrainer.

There are 70 perks and 275 total levels within the Perks, not to mention that you would also have to upgrade every SPECIAL attribute to 10, so that you can get all of the Perks. With that, theoretically, it will take a whole long time to completely max out everything.

We don't know yet if you can accrue perk "points" into a pool and just not use them, or the game will just force you to spend them every time you level up.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I need this game in my veins.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They should start by making the levels actually mean something.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

Awesome! I need this game in my veins.

This is how I am feeling right now.
    This is how I am feeling right now.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@cale: New Vegas doesn't allow you to play past the main quest.

That worked "great" in Oblivion. I love when a random bandit has Daedric armor.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@cale: New Vegas doesn't allow you to play past the main quest.

@ripelivejam said:

That worked "great" in Oblivion. I love when a random bandit has Daedric armor.

Yeah, I get the game design reason, but it can be a real drag. Especially if your companion AI isn't up to snuff. Or really the NPC's where random high level spawns can kill a town.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shindig

"And then the Wastelander... just... kinda... fucked off. I've been Ron Pearlman. Hashtag Hellboy III"

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

I imagine it will work like Fallout3/Skyrim, where enemy types scale in certain encounters/locations.

I can't imagine they would go back to that tedious flat difficulty curve of Oblivion.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePanzini

I really liked enemy scaling in Oblivion it's not going to be as aggressive in Fallout 4, Skyrim didn't have a level cap after hitting the skill limit you couldn't get earn any new perks until the dlc.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/fallout_4/b/playstation4/archive/2015/06/17/19-new-details-fans-need-to-know-about-fallout-4.aspx

Bethesda is tweaking the way auto-scaling works for Fallout 4 to create more challenge. "We call it rubberbanding; we'll have an area [where enemies scale from] level 5 to 10, and then this area will be level 30 and above," Howard says. "You'll run into stuff that will crush you, and you will have to run away."

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Cool. I can't wait for this game.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is definitely something I like. I'm used to playing Fallout New Vegas with no level cap and dynamic enemy leveling (mods, mods, mods).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That almost seems like the standard for open ended RPG's these days. I hate serious problems with both of the past modern Fallouts and I'm hoping that this entry will rectify most of my concerns which all kinda circled around polish.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good, but usually I just stop playing games like these once the main story is over anyway.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of no level cap. Makes me think of my Wastelander as a Saiyan: always looking for more fights, always getting stronger.

Also, what's with these people saying they stop after completing the main questline? Don't they know that in open world games, that's the thing that you put off for 200+ hours and possibly never even finish?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CaLe

@poobumbutt said:

Also, what's with these people saying they stop after completing the main questline? Don't they know that in open world games, that's the thing that you put off for 200+ hours and possibly never even finish?

Why would you never finish the main quest? Also, not everyone has 200+ hours to put into a game... I do a mixture of sidequests and the main story, but sometimes the side stuff feels really shallow and not worth the time commitment, which naturally pushes me back to the main story.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this any different than 3 or new vegas?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kasaioni

If there ends up being a point where you're not really unlocking anything new when you level up though, leveling up should become sort of pointless, right? Especially if enemies scale.\

Wait, is Bethesda trying to make a new type of idle game?

The numbers always go up.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It depends on the game scaling to your level. If it doesn't the lack of level cap is pretty meaningless.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, good, the numbers should always go up.

I like the idea of a soft level cap, one where you have gotten a common subset of perks, but that keeps combat and quests more interesting by still making the points you earn worthwhile after you reach that soft cap.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MOAB

@citizenkane said:

What is your anticipation level for Fallout 4 now, given the new details today and those that have come out the past month during QuakeCon and GamesCom?

It's still the only game I'm really looking forward to.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I wish I could give half a shit about this game but honestly I just know that Bethesda is going to fuck this up in a multitude of ways.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to mention of the reports that developers have spent upwards of 400 hours in the game and still continue to find new things.

The developers are finding things they've never seen before in their own game? How does that work? Are they being visited by magical coding fairies in the night?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

This seems like it's been announced to intentionally avoid the original problem with Fallout 3 which was:

(Fallout 3 spoilers ahead, though I don't think I need to warn people in a Fallout 4 thread)

Hey, you have to go into this really irradiated room and you will die saving the Wasteland, even though you might totally have a character with you who is impervious to harm from radiation and could also easily key in these numbers, you still have to die and do it because, you know, story arc and all that.

I'm pretty sure they patched that out (or was it the DLC that fixed it?), but I remember there being a bit of a kerfuffle at the time about it.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Good

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like it's been announced to intentionally avoid the original problem with Fallout 3 which was:

(Fallout 3 spoilers ahead, though I don't think I need to warn people in a Fallout 4 thread)

Hey, you have to go into this really irradiated room and you will die saving the Wasteland, even though you might totally have a character with you who is impervious to harm from radiation and could also easily key in these numbers, you still have to die and do it because, you know, story arc and all that.

I'm pretty sure they patched that out (or was it the DLC that fixed it?), but I remember there being a bit of a kerfuffle at the time about it.

It was the DLC "Broken Steel" that allowed you to play after the main story ends.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Good for game like this the hard ending never made sense and when your focused on single player who needs a level cap?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

How is this any different than 3 or new vegas?

Because it is this way from the start.
    Both 3 and New Vegas had a Level cap and an end game, start over point.

Both games got DLC to raise the Level cap (or maybe New Vegas had a higher level cap to begin with? I don't remember.) Though only to a certain point, it's still capped just higher then it had been.

3 had a hard ending for a while until DLC came out to allow you to continue roaming. And New Vegas only has a hard ending.

So... out of the box, it's a lot different. No Level cap, no hard end point. As opposed to level caps with hard end points.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: Ah. I didn't finish 3 until after the DLC came out. And I don't think I finished New Vegas at all, didn't care for that one.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: I was just joking, man. I was making fun of myself for A) taking a long time to finish any open-world-game's main quest, most egregiously NEVER finishing Skyrim's main quest and B) spending probably 200+ hours EACH on Fallout 3 and NV. I don't think people are nuts for not doing these things. Quite the opposite. I think I'm nuts. It was meant to be self deprecation. Sorry for the inarticulate delivery.

To answer your question, I never finished Skyrim's quest because I thought it was boring, but exploring the world was not.

Lastly, if you're the same Cale who recently wrote into Match 3, I liked your question! If you aren't and did not, then ignore this likely insane-looking conclusion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.