Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Question about armor

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Just a quick question. It seems like after messing around a bit the best armor is your vault suit with mods and then legendary gear on your four limbs. Is this the case? I haven't found any other under clothes that let you mod them like the vault suit and it feels like you are really missing out if you are not armored on both arms and legs. I'm really bored of the blue suit but it feels like I'm making the game harder for myself by not using it. Is there any better armor than that setup without getting into power armor?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, I don't really get why they handled this the way they did. I think its so you wear the vault suit, maybe. Because it is the only underclothing I've found in 25 hours that lets you mod it. And its the only one that has real armor protection, and rad protection. Everything else has nothing, or it just boosts a special stat, and if it does that you can't wear actual armor pieces with it (except for the army fatigues, which raise str and end and allow you to wear armor, but they have no armor or rad protection). Its really disappointing. Maybe this can be addressed in a mod.

birdvsplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Was really bummed at first about the lack of customizing gear (limiting "outfits" with no arm/leg enhancements). Now I just say "screw it" and find whatever under clothes I like best to roll with regardless of the armor. Flannel and jeans + chest and limb add-ons for my cooldad.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I use the BoS uniform underneath my armour. Sure it's like, 5 less armour than the vault suit but my dude looks pretty cool and I have plenty of armour so it's fine.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

I use the BoS uniform underneath my armour. Sure it's like, 5 less armour than the vault suit but my dude looks pretty cool and I have plenty of armour so it's fine.

I don't think I've found that one yet. Is it upgradable?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sterling said:
    @alexw00d said:

I don't think I've found that one yet. Is it upgradable?

Nope. I'm not sure anything is outside of the Vault suit.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ichthy

Apparently you can mod army fatigues (which can be worn under parts) to crazy high defense levels, but you need to complete some Railroad quests first.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Armor is definitely something I am trying to wrap my head around. I want to go for aesthetics, but I can't choose what looks good over what will save my butt. Right now I think I am wearing the green shirt and combat boots. No added protection but a +1 to both charisma and endurance. With my sea captain hat (endurance +2) I think I look pretty fashionable and I have a good boost to some stats. Of course, I have gnarly metal armor over it...

I wanted to have like metal shoulder pads with 50s housewife dress, like Mad Max smooshed with Pleasantville, but I can't really get that to work. Oh well. :)

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Radish

That's a bummer. I was hoping with an armor modding system it would be more open but it sounds like they really want you in that dumb Vault suit. I typically get destroyed by everything anyway so I might as well just wear what looks cool.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the drifter outfit for 90% of my time so far and just upgraded to a new suit. I just hate the way armor looks(at least what i've found) and after upgrading the defense i have been pretty durable so far. Until i find armor that matches my old western sheriff vibe i'll just have to deal with it (or until a mod lets you add armor onto everything with no cosmetic changes. Tbh, just add an option for cosmetic options for armor that keeps stats, it's fucking 2015 for gods sake.

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the way to do it I think would be to let you scrap armor bits and get the bonuses so you can apply those to other pieces of gear which could have a certain amount applied to each. Having to use a mishmash of stuff that often looks dumb because of stats is really lame.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't mind it since I love the vault suit, I can understand the frustration. I do know that by doing some Railroad faction quest that you get access to modified other under-armors beside the vault suit.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best armor is power armor. You could probably wear whatever you want underneath that, though I guess if the parts get broken, it stops working?

Anyway, I like the way the armor looks, especially the Vault Suit, which looks cool (though I don't agree with the skintight thing, I know that's how it was in the original cinematic, but it looks like Vault Tech had a butt fetish), and the Brotherhood uniform (which does look exactly like the original from the talking heads, and is great)

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've found several under armors that you can mod in the bit I've played. The difference between them doesn't seem like that huge of a deal once you start upgrading so I'm using the jeans and t shirt one.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ichthy

I really don't understand why you can't mod most of the under armors like road leathers, especially since it doesn't change anything aesthetically. It's pretty silly that some stuff you can mod to +110 def and the ones you can't get no defense bonus. Why would you anything but army fatigues unless it's for aesthetics.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I hate how my character looks. Everything but the power armor either looks bad or is useless in combat. I have my guy wearing a helmet of some kind, with glasses, and a bunch of mishmash legendary arm and leg pieces. I'm surprised every character he talks to doesn't burst out laughing.

Avatar image for japanesebuffalo
    JapaneseBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not exactly sure if you need one rank in the armourer perk, but I can mod like almost any outfit with a ballistic weave that goes up to like 100 more armor.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even on hard difficulty I'm not finding it challenging enough to really bother going for optimal armor. I'm just wearing what I think looks good and I've been fine.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FinalForm

I don't think I've found anything better than the silver shroud armor in regards to defense or cosmetics yet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.