Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

A few questions about PC version

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

First off I went to "Can you run it" And it looks like my laptop can run this thing easily. 

However when I check for Fallout 3 It seems my laptop would have a slightly larger issue running it. 

Is New Vegas better optimized or something? 

*Cookie to anyone who can now guess my name* 

Also how easy is it to mod the steam version of the game? 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

I wouldn't say the system requirements are totally different from Fallout 3 to New Vegas, they both basically use the same engine.

But no it's not hard to mod the Steam version, it's just a matter of knowing where your installation folder is and dropping in files or using the mod manager's that have been made for such purposes.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marz said:
    I wouldn't say the system requirements are totally different from Fallout 3 to New Vegas, they both basically use the same engine.  But no it's not hard to mod the Steam version, it's just a matter of knowing where your installation folder is and dropping in files or using the mod manager's that have been made for such purposes.
    Im wondering if I should pick the game up. Do you think I could run it well on my laptop? There also seems to be a community fix for ATI cards 

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970
    firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By firewrkninja

is your name nick?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So anyone know how well I could run it? 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

I'll be honest and say i don't have much experience with laptops, but judging by your mobile graphics chip it should be powerful enough.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marz said:

I'll be honest and say i don't have much experience with laptops, but judging by your mobile graphics chip it should be powerful enough.

Cause I did well in Fallout 3.  

Anyone else wanna chime in? 
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JP_Russell

You'll run it just fine.  Honestly, you don't even need to ask if you can run any game on that system, yet.  Even Crysis would probably run reasonably well on that on all medium settings with your native res and no AA.  No game yet should be too much for you to run at some kind of settings. 

EDIT - Also, take any and all "Can you run it?" type sites with a grain of salt.  They never were, still are not, and never will be terribly reliable.  The best way to get a feel for how well a system will perform is to consult relevant benchmarks.
    contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By contagious
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JP_Russell said:

You'll run it just fine.  Honestly, you don't even need to ask if you can run any game on that system, yet.  Even Crysis would probably run reasonably well on that on all medium settings with your native res and no AA.  No game yet should be too much for you to run at some kind of settings. 

EDIT - Also, take any and all "Can you run it?" type sites with a grain of salt.  They never were, still are not, and never will be terribly reliable.  The best way to get a feel for how well a system will perform is to consult relevant benchmarks.
    I can run Crysis on High at 720. The laptop does run hot but does fine in 1-2 hour bursts if I have a fan on the bottem.  

However i got a bug at the final boss and Fire textures went all funky.  

How well should I be able to run New Vegas? 
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JP_Russell
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @JP_Russell said:

I can run Crysis on High at 720. The laptop does run hot but does fine in 1-2 hour bursts if I have a fan on the bottem.   However i got a bug at the final boss and Fire textures went all funky.   How well should I be able to run New Vegas? 

Sounds like a driver issue. 

Anyway, assuming we're also talking 720 for NV, then probably close to max settings, I should think.  Maybe a little below that if you run at the 1600x900 you're using for the desktop. 
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mmmslash

You'll run New Vegas fine. I run it on a desktop with similar specs, only your video card is much better, assuming the mobile 4650 is the same as the desktop equivalent.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deathstriker666

@The_Laughing_Man said: 

@JP_Russell said: 

EDIT - Also, take any and all "Can you run it?" type sites with a grain of salt.  They never were, still are not, and never will be terribly reliable.  The best way to get a feel for how well a system will perform is to consult relevant benchmarks.
    I can run Crysis on High at 720. The laptop does run hot but does fine in 1-2 hour bursts if I have a fan on the bottem.   However i got a bug at the final boss and Fire textures went all funky.   How well should I be able to run New Vegas?   
    That has nothing to do with your computer power; most likely a driver issue that's causing it. Start the game and see for yourself how well the game runs. Adjust the settings if necessary, though I highly doubt you'd need to. 

It's only when you're in combat against multiple enemies that New Vegas really starts pushing the capabilities of your PC; unless you're actively killing every one you meet I don't expect that you'd run into this very frequently. Watch out for the endgame sequence, it gets a bit taxing when you're runing it on ultra-high on a 3 year-old PC like I am.  
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @deathstriker666 said:
        @The_Laughing_Man said: 

@JP_Russell said: 

EDIT - Also, take any and all "Can you run it?" type sites with a grain of salt.  They never were, still are not, and never will be terribly reliable.  The best way to get a feel for how well a system will perform is to consult relevant benchmarks.
    That has nothing to do with your computer power; most likely a driver issue that's causing it. Start the game and see for yourself how well the game runs. Adjust the settings if necessary, though I highly doubt you'd need to.  It's only when you're in combat against multiple enemies that New Vegas really starts pushing the capabilities of your PC; unless you're actively killing every one you meet I don't expect that you'd run into this very frequently. Watch out for the endgame sequence, it gets a bit taxing when you're runing it on ultra-high on a 3 year-old PC like I am.  
    Broken fan. 
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mmmslash
    @The_Laughing_Man: You should get that fixed like, yesterday. 

Heat is the second worst thing imaginable for electronics.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Any mods people would reccomend? And anyone wanna say a final word on how well I can run it? Or about Ini tweeks? 

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By roughneck117

@The_Laughing_Man: Oh fuck, mods. Which Mods to recommend. OK.

First off- Mod Manager: it will make your life fucking easier.

Archiveinvalidator

New Vegas Script editor- needed for a few mods that affect gameplay.

Project Nevada

Nevada Skies

better binocular

Centered third Person camera

Unlimited Companion (not really canon or anything, but I like it.)

Fellout NV

FOOK

Weapons Re-texture Project

Perks Every level (if thats you thing)

BEWARE OF GIRL Type 3 HiRez HiDetailed Replacer (nude body texture mod.)

Companion Sandbox Mode

A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland (This is not really a gameplay mod, or anything related to New Vegas at all. What this mod does is basically allow you to travel into FO3, through NV. As you can imagine the install process is a bit complex, which might be an understatement, but it can be done. Obviously you do need to have FO3 installed.)

These are the ones I can think of at the moment. My advice is to got to http://www.newvegasnexus.com , sign up an account, and browse through the categories. The mods I put up there are ones that I use, but there are hundreds more, and I havent even added the weapons mods that I use. I currently use a M1 Garand as well as an AK as my primary weapons.

Edit. I just realised you asked about modding the steam version. There is absolutely no problem in modding that version of the game. I use that and it works fantastically. A problem you could come up with is if you download the DLCs, some mods may not work due to not being optimized for the DLCs. Most of the good and popular ones will be updated as the DLCs come out, but it does take time.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @roughneck117 said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Oh fuck, mods. Which Mods to recommend. OK.

First off- Mod Manager: it will make your life fucking easier.

Archiveinvalidator

New Vegas Script editor- needed for a few mods that affect gameplay.

Project Nevada

Nevada Skies

better binocular

Centered third Person camera

Unlimited Companion (not really canon or anything, but I like it.)

Fellout NV

FOOK

Weapons Re-texture Project

Perks Every level (if thats you thing)

BEWARE OF GIRL Type 3 HiRez HiDetailed Replacer (nude body texture mod.)

Companion Sandbox Mode

A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland (This is not really a gameplay mod, or anything related to New Vegas at all. What this mod does is basically allow you to travel into FO3, through NV. As you can imagine the install process is a bit complex, which might be an understatement, but it can be done. Obviously you do need to have FO3 installed.)

These are the ones I can think of at the moment. My advice is to got to http://www.newvegasnexus.com , sign up an account, and browse through the categories. The mods I put up there are ones that I use, but there are hundreds more, and I havent even added the weapons mods that I use. I currently use a M1 Garand as well as an AK as my primary weapons.

Edit. I just realised you asked about modding the steam version. There is absolutely no problem in modding that version of the game. I use that and it works fantastically. A problem you could come up with is if you download the DLCs, some mods may not work due to not being optimized for the DLCs. Most of the good and popular ones will be updated as the DLCs come out, but it does take time.

Right now I just need to get a copy of the game. Im having issues with my credit card. *Wachovia was just turned into Well fargo* So its seeming to have issues right now which kinda sucks.  

Any mods that will help perfromence? 
    roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roughneck117

@The_Laughing_Man: Performance wise, I havent really had any problems with the game. There were problems when the game first came out, but they have been fixed by now. I have never had problems that would mess up the game and make it unplayable. Even with all the mods installed Ive yet to face problems that couldnt be fixed by just reinstalling the mods. So I havent really looked at mods that affect or fix any problems of that nature.

Sucks about your bank though, hope it works out soon.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @roughneck117 said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Performance wise, I havent really had any problems with the game. There were problems when the game first came out, but they have been fixed by now. I have never had problems that would mess up the game and make it unplayable. Even with all the mods installed Ive yet to face problems that couldnt be fixed by just reinstalling the mods. So I havent really looked at mods that affect or fix any problems of that nature.

Sucks about your bank though, hope it works out soon.

I meant like mroe fps. 

The guys on the elder scrolls nexus said I Should be able to run the game like butter.  

Ya bout the bank I really want the game but its being stupid. I guess it just doesnt like steam. I need to find a buddy at work to bum if off of lol 
    roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By roughneck117

@The_Laughing_Man: Oh in terms of fps you'll be fine. If you can run FO3 fine, so will this. You never really meet that many people at a time, unless you actually go to the main city, and even there its not so bad. I have a pretty simple laptop with GTX 260 M, and the game runs pretty well. So you probably wont have much problems in that regards.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dillonwerner

It should run fine, there is also something you can download that allows New Vegas to use more that 2Gb of RAM which makes it less choppy and such. Also, I have New Vegas on Steam and it is very similar to modding Oblivion. (It's very easy)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.