Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

For those confused about the map invisible walls "wasted space"

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

In real life your map would be square shaped right?

Now look at Read Dead Redemption's Map

Notice that the spaces are clearly indicated you can't go to those parts of the map

In Fallout NV case it's just not as clear via the pip boy

So there you have it 

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FritzDude
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By zegolf

I'm not confused about the map, but I'm confused about this post.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By J0n3s1

Talking about invisible walls.. This game has those all over it! I'm trying to climb a mountain and there is a fucking invisible wall blocking my way so I have to go back on the ground and try to find anotherway around.. I don't remember fallout 3 having this problem thought there wasn't as much mountains or hills either.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Djeffers03

What?

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShinjiEx

There are people complaining about areas of the map to which they can not reach on Fallout NV

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Vanek
    @J0n3s1 said:
    " Talking about invisible walls.. This game has those all over it! I'm trying to climb a mountain and there is a fucking invisible wall blocking my way so I have to go back on the ground and try to find anotherway around.. I don't remember fallout 3 having this problem thought there wasn't as much mountains or hills either. "
    Same.  It's really annoying, but the one major time it happened to me I ended up realising there was an easier way. 

All the invisible walls have done is point out my own stupidity.  Now I feel sad ... =(
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By smcn

In general (having not played NV), having parts of the map be in-accessible for whatever reason is fine. Blocking off those parts with invisible walls as opposed to terrain or even an out-of-place 30 foot concrete wall is simply lazy. 

P.S. I hate when people use the word "lazy" to describe a design decision they disagree with, but there's no other way to describe the reason for invisible walls to exist in 2010.

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zegolf
    @smcn said:
    " In general (having not played NV), having parts of the map be in-accessible for whatever reason is fine. Blocking off those parts with invisible walls as opposed to terrain or even an out-of-place 30 foot concrete wall is simply lazy.  P.S. I hate when people use the word "lazy" to describe a design decision they disagree with, but there's no other way to describe the reason for invisible walls to exist in 2010. "
    Describing a design decision that you disagree with as lazy is just lazy.

Ha.  Just kidding.  You're right, lazy is the PERFECT word to describe this.  Lordy, just put barbed wire or a chain link fence there.  Fallout already has the assets built in for chain link fences.  Just make them indestructible.  Problem solved.  You can mail me my check, now, Obsidian.
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By finstern

Agreed, if I see a hill with a gap in the rocks big enough for me and an army to walk through in the direction I need to be I'm going to try it, only to get a tiny bit of the way up, reach an invisible barrier and shimmy around the rocks and around the invisible wall. It's ridiculous, Fallout 3 would let you climb up there and then let you realize theres no way down without breaking your arms and legs, or, just have the chain link fence or a collapsed building or rock in the way entirely.

Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pokechapp

The most annoying one I encountered was towards the Nelis AFB. When that guy who makes a living on people marching to their deaths tells you how to get to the front gate. The way I was walking had left it so that when the convo ended, I was looking at a wall that seemed to have a oath running up to a flat spot that could potentially land me at the front gate. So I hopped up there just to find an invisible wall about a foot in from the edge. Made no sense to me. It was clearly a path, the color was a bit lighter showing the area was heavily trafficked.  

It is so frequent that sort of thing happens. Just minding my own business, jumping around the wasteland and climbing on heaps of rubble, then one of them just won't let me jump to the top. Or paths in buildings... they will be blocked by a bit of junk on the floor about shin high. Really love this game, but it does have it's flaws.

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Killboyy777

anyone else have a retarded time trying to find vault 22 like i did? invisible walls ruined exploration in this game imo.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Entus

I was 3 foot above one of the settlements and it just would not let me drop down because of an invisible wall. It was pretty silly. I can imagine how frustrating this would be, especially since where I was stuck, I had no way to get back up.

Good thing I have ~tcl though.

tskunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By tskunk

There definitely seemed to be more freedom of motion and route choice in Fallout 3. In New Vegas it seemed like every time there was a hill or mountain I needed to climb, there'd be one main route by road, and sometimes one "back route." Trying to get to your objective any other way proved to be a waste of time close to 100% of the time. It made exploring less satisfying in New Vegas; so much to the point where I'm doubting I'll ever bother for 100% achievements in the game. The removal of most armor with stat boosts also kind of put a damper on exploration as I could usually care less about the junk I find in New Vegas, whereas in Fallout 3 it felt like there was always a better item waiting to be discovered.

Also, the OP's link to Red Dead Redemption's map is not indicative of the issue people have complained about in Fallout: New Vegas. If you look at Red Dead's map, all of the areas that are inaccessible to the player (all around the edge of the map) are clearly marked. That's where you can't go, and the walls are not invisible. There's always a physical barrier which the player can see preventing them from going off the map.

Fallout New Vegas' invisible wall problem has nothing to do with being close to the edge of the map. I encountered most of these invisible walls when trying to scale a hill or mountain, only to find that even though it appeared my character should physically be able to continue, an invisible barrier prevented me. This is what irritates players, because in a game known for its free-reign style, this design is decidedly against that.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @Killboyy777 said:
    " anyone else have a retarded time trying to find vault 22 like i did? invisible walls ruined exploration in this game imo. "
    This. That pissed me off, a lot. Like shin-height rocks that I can't even jump up on, and just slide around on the invisible bits. There's even what looks like a trail! Argh.
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShinjiEx

I cleaned up the OP so this thread makes more since now :)

eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eagles_band
    @zegolf said:
    " @smcn said:
    " In general (having not played NV), having parts of the map be in-accessible for whatever reason is fine. Blocking off those parts with invisible walls as opposed to terrain or even an out-of-place 30 foot concrete wall is simply lazy.  P.S. I hate when people use the word "lazy" to describe a design decision they disagree with, but there's no other way to describe the reason for invisible walls to exist in 2010. "
    Describing a design decision that you disagree with as lazy is just lazy.  Ha.  Just kidding.  You're right, lazy is the PERFECT word to describe this.  Lordy, just put barbed wire or a chain link fence there.  Fallout already has the assets built in for chain link fences.  Just make them indestructible.  Problem solved.  You can mail me my check, now, Obsidian. "
    Yea having chain fences all over the wasteland wouldn't look weird.....  dumbass
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zegolf
    @eagles_band: Because...there are no chain-link fences in the wasteland? 

Or... 

Because you're an idiot?  Have you played this game at all?
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SSully
    @eagles_band said:
    " @zegolf said:
    " @smcn said:
    Describing a design decision that you disagree with as lazy is just lazy.  Ha.  Just kidding.  You're right, lazy is the PERFECT word to describe this.  Lordy, just put barbed wire or a chain link fence there.  Fallout already has the assets built in for chain link fences.  Just make them indestructible.  Problem solved.  You can mail me my check, now, Obsidian. "
    Yea having chain fences all over the wasteland wouldn't look weird.....  dumbass "
    There are still better ways, mountains, or even just litter the outside of the map with intense radiation that will instant kill you if you go a certain distance out.
    eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eagles_band
    @zegolf said:
    " @eagles_band: Because...there are no chain-link fences in the wasteland?  Or...  Because you're an idiot?  Have you played this game at all? "
    Are you serious? You think putting a chain link fence everywhere there is invisible collision in the game is a good idea? LOL.....wow..
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@J0n3s1 said:
    " Talking about invisible walls.. This game has those all over it! I'm trying to climb a mountain and there is a fucking invisible wall blocking my way so I have to go back on the ground and try to find anotherway around.. I don't remember fallout 3 having this problem thought there wasn't as much mountains or hills either. "
    Yeah, thank god I have this on PC so I can un-stick myself with the console.  Never had this problem with FO3.
    Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fascism

Yeah I was kind of angry when I started finding invisible walls in NV and realized I had to actually follow the roads and paths around seemingly small and easily scalable hills and cliffs

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @J0n3s1 said:
    Yeah, thank god I have this on PC so I can un-stick myself with the console.  Never had this problem with FO3. "
    Morethan anything else, this is what is making me regret 360 and not PC purchase.
    kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By kmg90
    @Pokechapp said:
    " The most annoying one I encountered was towards the Nelis AFB. When that guy who makes a living on people marching to their deaths tells you how to get to the front gate. The way I was walking had left it so that when the convo ended, I was looking at a wall that seemed to have a oath running up to a flat spot that could potentially land me at the front gate. So I hopped up there just to find an invisible wall about a foot in from the edge. Made no sense to me. It was clearly a path, the color was a bit lighter showing the area was heavily trafficked.   It is so frequent that sort of thing happens. Just minding my own business, jumping around the wasteland and climbing on heaps of rubble, then one of them just won't let me jump to the top. Or paths in buildings... they will be blocked by a bit of junk on the floor about shin high. Really love this game, but it does have it's flaws. "
    You mean this one that I came across and thought was so REDONCULOUS  that I recorded it on video?
    Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pokechapp
    @kmg90: Precisely. What gets me the most about it is how it is so easily done. I wish they hired people like us to play test games. Instead they have people do mundane tasks like run against a wall for an hour and try to get stuck. Which is needed.... But stuff like this just passes by without a second thought.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @Pokechapp said:
    " @kmg90: Precisely. What gets me the most about it is how it is so easily done. I wish they hired people like us to play test games. Instead they have people do mundane tasks like run against a wall for an hour and try to get stuck. Which is needed.... But stuff like this just passes by without a second thought. "
    Give then number of times I've gotten stuck in geometry [8], i don't think they really even did that
    Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pokechapp
    @Mrnitropb: It seems as if when those testers sent their info back, the designers claimed it was done on purpose for difficulty. Imagine how much easier it would be if you could walk through a pile of rubble without being scared that you may get your foot caught forever. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.