Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Vault 34 just proved to me this game needs better maps...

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By haggis

Did anyone else find Vault 34 to be insanely convoluted? The maps in this game are very nearly pointless. I understand not wanting to make things too easy by laying out neat and clear maps, but my God what a mess. Especially with everything so damned dark. It took me forever to find my way around. I spent more time running around through corridors checking to see if I missed any doors than I did fighting the insane number of vault dwellers. Grrr.

Yeah, I know it's a rant. I really love this game, but every once in a while the devs fell back on bad level design to make things longer and more difficult. It seems much more obvious in New Vegas than in Fallout 3.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

You mean maps as in a method of figuring out where you are, not as in level design, correct? 

EDIT: wait no...I'm confused...

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wiseblood

Yeah, the local map can be pretty useless sometimes.  In vaults and buildings it really needs to be separated by floors.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I never bother with the local maps. Just the world map is all I need.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By haggis
    @nintendoeats: Kinda both, but mostly the first. The maps in VATS are mostly what I'm complaining about. But the fact that they're using lousy in-game maps to make specific locations difficult to navigate bugs the hell out of me. The maps suck all around, but Vault 34' combination of lousy maps and deliberately obtuse level design pissed me off a bit.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

I agree. I wish the local map was better implemented.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

I'm not really worried about the maps inside the vaults or buildings. However, I would like a world map that's more like Morrowind or Oblivion. That way I can get the map in a strategy guide or the game box and post it on my wall.  

No Caption Provided
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By yoctoyotta

The local maps could definitely be better. I think they're trying to avoid having perfect schematics of every building though as if the PIP-Boy has to create the maps on the fly with some sort of sonar/radar type technology.

Anyway, for what its worth, Vault 34 is way easier to explore if you Speech check the guard at the front door and refrain from killing anyone inside. Once the exploring is done,

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clinkz

Vault 34 was so fucking stupid. If its the one I'm thinking of with "Hard Luck Blues", it was so convoluted and confusing that as soon as I beat it I effectively put the game on hiatus for a few days.

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wiseblood
    @YoctoYotta: That's Vault 3.  Vault 34 is the heavily irradiated vault full of ghouls.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendoeats
    @YoctoYotta: Perhaps some kind of Soliton Radar?....
    DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Yep, I always get confused inside any area with multiple floors, especially the vaults. No telling how many times I've looked at the map wondering how the hell I reach where the quest marker is telling me to go, then spent far too long finding the correct path. Unfortunately it isn't always obvious.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FritzDude

Could been better of course, but i think it fits the game, and the pip-boy, just fine.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MiniPato

I hate exploring Vaults. The positive things about Vaults is the creepy atmosphere and journals you can read of people slowly getting crazy or dead. Otherwise they are a bitch to navigate. Luckily I have a good sense of direction and can recognize rooms and hallway layouts to judge if I've been somewhere before, but even still it can still be difficult. But yes the map system could be a lot clearer and the level design needs to be less winding, it needs more structure.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By turbo_toaster

UGH, Vault 34 took me at least two hours to finish because of that. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By melcene
    @ch13696: There is one in the strat guide... the only problem is that it's double sided and both sides are useful.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ch13696
    @melcene said:
    " @ch13696: There is one in the strat guide... the only problem is that it's double sided and both sides are useful. "
    Yeah, I have the one for Fallout 3 and it's not very pretty. It's basically cluttered with points that I don't want to know about till I visit them. Hopefully whatever game Bethesda is working on right now will have a pretty damn good map.
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @Wiseblood said:
    " @YoctoYotta: That's Vault 3.  Vault 34 is the heavily irradiated vault full of ghouls. "
    Ah, yeah, you're right. The irradiated ghoul vault was a real pain in the ass to navigate, far more so than the raider vault. I did eventually learn how to get through there, but yeah, the multi-level BS with all the locked doors that could only be unlocked elsewhere was ridiculous. Decent weapons payoff though for the hard work. I was so pissed off when I learned I had to go back in there to get
    Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wiseblood

Despite its flaws I really liked Vault 34.  One of the things I felt was missing from FO3 was areas where radiation was a real threat, and not merely a mild annoyance.  Sure there were areas with hospots where radiation would spike, but I loved the feeling of exploring a large area that was completely bathed in radiation.  Camp Searchlight was cool too.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @nintendoeats said:

" @YoctoYotta: Perhaps some kind of Soliton Radar?.... "

Exactly! You know, now that you mention it, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine the Fallout and Metal Gear series' existing within the same messed up universe. And yeah, I know there's a thousand holes that could be punched in that theory, I'm just saying they'd be thematically coherent.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nintendoeats
    @YoctoYotta said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @YoctoYotta: Perhaps some kind of Soliton Radar?.... "
    Exactly! You know, now that you mention it, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine the Fallout and Metal Gear series' existing within the same messed up universe. "
    Oh god! Don't let the fanfic writers hear you...
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By haggis
    @Wiseblood said:
    "  Despite its flaws I really liked Vault 34.  One of the things I felt was missing from FO3 was areas where radiation was a real threat, and not merely a mild annoyance.  Sure there were areas with hospots where radiation would spike, but I loved the feeling of exploring a large area that was completely bathed in radiation.  Camp Searchlight was cool too. "
    I can agree with you about the radiation. Fallout 3 didn't have many sections where radiation was a threat. But I didn't go into Vault 34 until pretty late in the game, knowing I'd need to stock up on Rad-X and Radaway before going in. So even though it was a threat ... it wasn't really a threat. I did head through (gosh, I forget now) Nipton pretty early on, which is irradiated and filled with ghouls, and wasn't quite prepared. Now that was cool. Tense, and it worked. Vault 34 had some good ideas, but not enough (for me, at least) to enjoy it much. Not to mention that my lockpick skill wasn't good enough to get the decent gun at the end, and I didn't have the right skill book to bump it up. I'm going to have to go back in next time I level up. At least I know where it is, now.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho
    @nintendoeats said:
    " You mean maps as in a method of figuring out where you are, not as in level design, correct?  EDIT: wait no...I'm confused... "
    Both could use an upgrade, but local maps are completely useless and the compass is fairly archaic. Lesser games have found much much better solutions. 
    xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By xatmos

Micro changes in air density, my ass. 

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Zurv

vault 3 was the only place that fucked me up.. ugh.. honestly that was the lowest point in game play for me.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Vault 34 was a total bitch. I found the vaults in Fallout 3 to be fairly easy to navigate and memorize, but in New Vegas they just seemed like an endless labyrinth meant to confuse and muddle the experience. I really wonder how the current version of Vault 34 made it past playtesting.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By killer_meatballs

Glad I wasn't the only one.  That vault F'd me up.  But I still love exploring them though.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Andheez
    @haggis: 
    @Wiseblood:

I actually had the space suit from Repconn which has +40 to Rad Res. and then I read a Mag for Medicine and popped some Rad X, but even still I had to use a decent bit of Rad Away.  I agree HAVING to focus on the Rads was kinda cool, actually gave them a purpose, made me have to move faster.

On a side note, I find the best way to deal with Vaults or any other confusing locations, is to basically go through the entire place killing everything and seeing everything, without looting or doing what you came to do.  Then doubling back.  A lot of those places are actually smaller then they first appear, and once you are running through it when its empty it becomes quick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.