Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Anyone Else Surprised Yoko Shimoura Did The Game's Score?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm surprised I'm saying this but Yoko Shimoura might be Square's next Nobuo Uematsu.  For people who don't know, she's the main composer for the Kingdom Hearts series.  She has been going around video game companies for years before her time at Square, and after her time with Square she ended up freelancing.   

Despite all this, she ended up taking Nomura's offer to do the KH2 OST and she kept close ties with the franchise.  KH music has never been that great, let's be honest here.  The piano melodies drive that score more than it needs to, and the battle themes are just Disney tunes remixed.  Aside from the boss music, most of the music isn't that memorable.   

She also did music for other RPGs for some other companies too, but again...nothing really stood out.  However, over the past few years she has only shown two tracks from Versus XIII that she had made.  The one is the calming piano with the latin lyrics...and the other is that ear opening opera that might end up being the boss theme or something.   

I still can't believe the woman who wrote the KH music is making the music she's making now.  Normally you don't see growth like this, but holy shit.  She's producing music at a level that most game composers can't touch.  The crazy part is that we only heard two of her tracks, and there are more than likely many more.   

As much as V13 is getting praise for graphics and whatnot, I think a lot of people are overlooking the music....and it's all thanks to this woman.  A woman who I would have never thought would make scores like this.  Too be honest, I thought the music for V13 was done via outsource...so you can see the shock I had when I realized Yoko wrote it all.   

She's one composer that people shouldn't look over, and I think more companies should hire her up...seeing as she is freelancing right now.     

Her music went from mediocre to unbelievable in a short 6-8 year span.  :|

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

I would rather have the guy that did the new One-Winged Angel song on Final Fantasy VII Advent Children or Otherworld on Final Fantasy X, but it looks like this chic knows what she's doing.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AuthenticM

She birthed this: 

and this: 

Along with their respective soundtracks. That is all you need to know about her. She is awesome, and yes, I do believe she is the next Nobuo Uematsu. I really hope she gets the position of "main composer" for the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @AuthenticM said:

"I really hope she gets the position of "main composer" for the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise. "

She left Square though, if she really wanted to be the new main composer for FF, she wouldn't have left.  I always thought that Yasunori Mitsuda was going to be the next proper composer...but he left Square too.  Such a shame, the FF franchise has no real composer to take up Uematsu's throne...it's like everyone is too afraid to do it. 

Unless you count Masashi Hamauzu, but his scores are either great or shit.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Good for her.  Love her music.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Why would I be?  She scored the Kingdom Hearts games, Versus XIII is being made by the Kingdom Hearts team.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

You know what would have blown my mind? If Square had snatched Akira Yamaoka when he left Konami. That would have been killer. Man... the thought of him scoring a dark Final Fantasy like Versus. Only good things could have come out of such a beautiful equation.

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
    raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By raccoonusdoodus
    @KaosAngel said:
    KH music has never been that great, let's be honest here.
    Stopped reading right there.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Axersia

KH music unmemorable, you say? Oh, that must be why I can play back the entire series' soundtrack inside my head. No, I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I knew Shimomura was composing the soundtrack the moment I watched the very first trailer on the livestream of the E3 2006 Sony press conference. Shimomura is my favorite composer, and her music has always been instantly recognizable to me. I wouldn't have been nearly as excited for this game if it had Takeharu Ishimoto's crappy Crisis Core music.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @RaccoonusDoodus said:

" @KaosAngel said:

KH music has never been that great, let's be honest here.
    Stopped reading right there. "
    ....dude the only good tracks in KH were the piano solos.  Everything else was Disney themes remixed or mediocre boss battles.  >.>   

It's like she completely changed in the past 8 years. 
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AuthenticM

The only thing about the KH soundtrack that I remember is the main theme of the second game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.