How long do you thin they can delay this?

#1 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

How long do you think Square Enix can keep silent on Versus before people stop wanting it anymore? We already have things like 1313 and Watch Dogs which look stunning and are paving the way for the next generation of hardware, heck SE themselves even released that tech demo on what Final Fantasy could look like on next generation hardware.

So how long do you think it will tae before people completely stop caring for it? Do you think they are moving it to the next hardware generation? Do you think it has been scrapped? I just can't see how Square Enix can keep a momentum of following for this title for another year without a concrete demo/trailer and a release date.

#2 Edited by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

If Duke Nukem Forever was any indication, 8 more years.

#3 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@Mesoian: Sure there are similarities (and I bet that was a sort of tongue-and-cheeck joke anyway) but how can it take Square Enix this long using the same studio. At least Duke Nukem had the excuse of it jumping hands often, SE doesn't.

#4 Posted by Brendan (8173 posts) -

When a game is a known quantity in development for long enough, I only care about it once there is concrete information on its release.

#5 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@Brendan said:

When a game is a known quantity in development for long enough, I only care about it once there is concrete information on its release.

Yeah, I definitely think it could easily be horribly bad by now. But that just reinforces my question on why they have kept the same team on it the entire time, especially the team which is waiting to make the next Kingdom Hearts console game - something Square Enix has quite a lot of negativity towards them for not making it yet. If they aren't taking away that team to make a KH game which is almost guarenteed for them to sell extremely well then they have to be doing something with it, right? Or maybe it has been scrapped and it is just a cover for that team to start working on next gen stuff - but man after it not appearing at E3 again this year I don't see why they haven't cancelled it yet.

#6 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (962 posts) -
#7 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

At this point, it has to be for next gen.

Tbh I have lost interest in the game with how long they've been working on it.

#8 Edited by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

The crazy part is, it has technically never been delayed. They have never missed a release date because none has ever been discussed - though I'm sure internally, they are missing benchmarks left and right.

The notion that Versus' development will likely extend through this entire console generation, and quite possibly beyond it, is hard to wrap my mind around.

#9 Edited by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Considering they just started full development in September 2011, a long time. (The first trailer for the game was in May 2006 btw.)

But will anyone care when it comes out if it is just properly being put in full production so late? When they announced it they described it as a grown-up Kingdom Hearts game made by the developers of Kingdom Hearts - I am just hard-pressed to say that that's enough any more. I remember seeing them say that were still extremely early in development early this year but where was the trailer (even just a teaser) and E3 this year - there should be something even if it was just a logo on something. Square Enix is cutting it fine on releasing this before no one is caring about PS3 exclusives.

---Edit---

Wow my grammar was bad in this:

Basically it said that even starting so late means they should have shown something (even a logo or teaser) and that they are running out of time before a PS3 exclusive doesn't mean anything any more.

This better be next gen.

#10 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (962 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Taku128 said:

Considering they just started full development in September 2011, a long time. (The first trailer for the game was in May 2006 btw.)

But will anyone care when it comes out if it is just properly being put in full production so late? When they announced it they described it as a grown-up Kingdom Hearts game made by the developers of Kingdom Hearts - I am just hard-pressed to say that that's enough any more. I remember seeing them say that were still extremely early in development early this year but where was the trailer (even just a teaser) and E3 this year - there should be something even if it was just a logo on something. Square Enix is cutting it fine on releasing this before no one is caring about PS3 exclusives.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't saying how long they can delay it, I was saying how long they will. I think they're far past being reasonable at this point.

#11 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@Taku128: I just hope they are staying silent because it has been moved to next gen and they are making it even better than what they aimed to before so they want a huge big announcement for it next year. But knowing what they have done in the past I am starting to doubt they even want to fullfill the original vision of it

#12 Posted by Sterling (2709 posts) -

Did they announce a name change recently?

#13 Posted by DonChipotle (2856 posts) -

It's not coming out

#14 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@oulzac: FFXV is the new remoured title of it - but officially? No they didn't announce it (but it does seem logical especially with how late they are putting it into full production - changing the name now makes sense, but they haven't actually said it themselves).

#15 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

It's not coming out

Winrar!

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15181 posts) -

Apparently this is supposed to be rebranded as FFXV which would just make sense really.

#17 Posted by Dixavd (1380 posts) -

@zyn said:

@DonChipotle said:

It's not coming out

Winrar!

I kind of don't want it to come out now; my problem is that the longer they take on this, the longer it takes them to make KH 3 and move onto other titles (or create a new IP). But how long can they keep silent on that - either they will keep making (for current consoles or next gen) it which could take years (or never get finished) or they cut their losses and cancel it, but I don't see why they won't spread information at E3 this year that it is still in development if it was still being made but at the same time I don't see why they wouldn't just say it has been cancelled if it has.

#18 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

I reckon it'll release around the time the new consoles launch or shortly after, kinda like FFXII. If it's 2014 though, it'll be irrelevant.

#19 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

If Duke Nukem Forever was any indication, 8 more years.

Agreed!

#20 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

I am going to bet five Brad bucks that it will come out in 2013. It has been in quasi development since 2006, with it only going into full development near the end of last year. Two years is a reasonable amount of time for them to finish it up and launch in time for holiday 2013.

#21 Posted by DisquisedJustin (41 posts) -

@Benny: I'd second that, what people keep forgetting is FF XII was actually announced around the same time as FF XI (which is arguably when this whole notion of "SQUARE HAS GONE INSANE AND LOST THEY'RE MINDS!!!" reception that they've had since FF XIII has started to take notice) That game took FOREVER, almost the whole console cycle of the PS2, granted it wasn't announced before the PS2 came out like Versus XIII was (or even before X was released for that matter) but the point is that this has been a recurring trend they've had where they announce a game WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too far in advance, I mean both XIII and Versus XIII were announced "before" XII came out, granted XII was pretty much finished at that point, but still, really, if they want to have more goodwill for their fans (besides offcourse returning to classic FF formula that will please), they also need to go the Nintendo root and start development on a game, work on it for a good few years, and then finally announce when it's "close" to completion (or atleast at a point where actually gameplay can be shown for it) . So yeah, them taking forever on Versus isn't too surprising to me, those it's amazing it's gone on as long as it has, XIII is two years old now, and we pretty much know about as much about it as we did 4 years ago. Amazes me that people keep freaking out thinking Last Guardian has been in development forever when another game has been known about for 3 years more than that one has.

#22 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

if they're using 13's engine then id say probably end of 2013/early 2014, if they're building a new engine, 2020

#23 Edited by believer258 (12211 posts) -

If the time between the announcement of a game and the start of development is long enough to encompass multiple Valve announcements and releases, then it's time to take your thumb out of your ass and start actually getting shit done.

Incidentally, I would bet my bottom dollar that this is not the fault of the people that are going to be doing the actual work on the game. Yeah, I'm sticking that shit to the motherfucking man.

#24 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

I'm more baffled by the fact that they've pretty much skipped a whole console generation to release Kingdom Hearts 3 (assuming there is one) due to working on this.

#25 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

@IBurningStar: I'll see your five Brad Bucks and raise you a Caravella C-Note.

#26 Posted by CottonWolf (91 posts) -

@IBurningStar: Or, you know, it could just have been cancelled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.