Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Question about the resistances and weaknesses enemies have to weapons

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By mrbubbles

I'm playing the game using wait mode and it works fine for the most part but sometimes when I scan an enemy and switch to the weapon they're weak to(highlighted in orange) I deal reduced damage(purple numbers) with the weapon they're supposed to be weak to. Is there something I'm missing about the weakness system or is the game just lying to me?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are you using a weapon with an element attached? That's the only thing I can think of, I haven't encountered this issue otherwise (I'm only on chapter 5 though).

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By mrbubbles

Oh, now that you mentioned it I checked my weapons and almost all of them have an element attached. I haven't been paying attention to their descriptions I've just been buying whatever has a higher damage number and selling the old stuff. No wonder I wasn't getting bonus damage sometimes.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The enemies are probably resistant to whatever element your weapon has attached to it. A number of weapons in XV have elemental properties and they tell you what they are when you highlight them in the menu. But yeah, if the enemy resists any part of the attack you're dealing, you'll do reduced damage, not neutral damage as far as I can recall.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NeoCalypso
    @mrbubbles said:

I've just been buying whatever has a higher damage number and selling the old stuff.

Yeah definitely try to pay attention to that stuff. It's obviously ok to just sell weaker non-elemental stuff. But the weakness bonus damage is pretty significant and while it's not totally vital, it's nice to have weapons of every type/element combo you can manage.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@mrbubbles said:

Oh, now that you mentioned it I checked my weapons and almost all of them have an element attached. I haven't been paying attention to their descriptions I've just been buying whatever has a higher damage number and selling the old stuff. No wonder I wasn't getting bonus damage sometimes.

Yeah, higher numbers aren't always better if the weapon has an element attached to it.

I tend to use vanilla weapons and then use Ignis' Enhance tech to make up the difference, as it automatically applies the element an enemy is weakest to.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lawgamer: In some of the postgame dungeons there are invincible enemies to all but one element, tried using enhance and Ignis often uses the wrong element (the other move works though even if he casts the wrong spell).

Could also be a weapon strong against demons and you're fighting a non demon.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By NeoCalypso

@fredchuckdave said:

@lawgamer: In some of the postgame dungeons there are invincible enemies to all but one element, tried using enhance and Ignis often uses the wrong element (the other move works though even if he casts the wrong spell).

Could also be a weapon strong against demons and you're fighting a non demon.

I don't think it's possible even with Enhance to be able to hurt them with weapons. What works really well on those things though is Prompto's Gravisphere technique. It does decent damage to them but slightly more importantly it groups everything up so you can easily take them out with one spell cast. If you want to be really conservative with or just straight up don't have the magic to use, then two casts of Gravisphere will kill a level 60ish flan easy.

Alternatively you can use the gravity machine weapon but I don't think that is quite as strong. Gets the "group em up" job done just as well though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.