Brad's Phone Situation

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Surkov

After listening to this week's bombcast, i couldn't help but wonder why Brad's to options for phones were Windows Phone 7 and an the new iPhone. Why isn't Android an option?

I don't really know why I care, but I still want to know. 

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Quesa

Both Jeff and Brad have bought games on Brad's phone, and Brad has bought iOS games for if/when he gets an iPhone. Android isn't really an option here, I'd say.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Because they don't like WP7 or Android. Brad only has a WP7 because they had one laying around the office.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1

@yoshimitz707 said:

Because they don't like WP7 or Android. Brad only has a WP7 because they had one laying around the office.

Bingo.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer

I was in the same boat as Brad (almost). I'd had an iPod for about a year and purchased movies, tv shows, music and games on iTunes. Came time to get a new phone and I ended up going with an iPhone 4 because I already committed money to it. I didn't feel like waiting for the new one because chasing the latest & greatest technology is like cuddling with a prostitute. I don't know why... but it is.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

Everyone knows and iPhone is the best phone on the market....DUH!!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It is weird, considering Android is by far the best of the three. I've always thought the all-Apple whiskey media is a bit strange really.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Especially with phones like the Atrix & the HTC out...

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Portis

@Surkov said:

After listening to this week's bombcast, i couldn't help but wonder why Brad's to options for phones were Windows Phone 7 and an the new iPhone. Why isn't Android an option? I don't really know why I care, but I still want to know.

What's to know? He's going buy whatever iPhone comes out this year, just like everyone else.

Do you really think he'll end up with an Android phone? Come on, now.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By big_jon

I don't get his dislike for the WP7 by all accounts (Including mine) it's really good.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

Meh. Dude's got preferences just like everyone else.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By xMP44x
@big_jon said:

I don't get his dislike for the WP7 by all accounts (Including mine) it's really good.

Apparently Mango will improve upon WP7 even further, although I've heard that it's really well polished even now. It'll take time to be pushed to all the carriers though, which is a bit disappointing but can't be avoided.

Personally, I use an Android device running 2.2, or Froyo. It was cheaper than the iPhone 3GS on contract, as well as the iPhone 4. The phone I own was released in February 2011, and the iPhone 3GS was not. iPhones are too expensive really - nice phones, granted, but they're much too expensive considering the 3GS is still very much an old phone. My handset was cheaper, and also outspecs the iPhone 3GS, as can be seen here. It's not better than the iPhone 4 but according to GSMArena again, it's fairly comparable. Apple's devvices are good looking and stuff but I couldn't afford even a two-year old 3GS, which will no doubt be discontinued around September or so if the iPhone 5 goes on sale then.

Android also has a larger market-share than iOS - while that does cause some fragmentation I admire Google's willingness to let people work with the OS and make something of their own, such as CyanogenMod and the other custom ROMs for Android devices. And anyway, with Android 3.0 'Honeycomb' the issue could be dealt with, apparently. Both phones are good and it's ultimately just a case of going for what you can afford, or what you like. I like my Android but if I could afford the iPhone 4 I would have considered going for it instead. Plus, who doesn't love the Android update names? Any update called 'Ice Cream Sandwich' is worth downloading. I just find the names for the updates quite memorable; more than I find iOS x to be.

Both phones are good, though I see a clear leaning towards Apple products with Whiskey Media as well. I wonder why?
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mnzy
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

It is weird, considering Android is by far the best of the three. I've always thought the all-Apple whiskey media is a bit strange really.

They are "media people", though. I feel like Apple dominates that field more than anything else.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty
@mnzy said:
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

They are "media people", though. I feel like Apple dominates that field more than anything else.
Android doesn't link in with anything like an iPhone does with iTunes but some people prefer that. I kinda do myself.

Still it's a bit weird but Android can be such a monopoly. Android 2.3 or Cyanogenmod is definitely better than iOS in its current form. Probably still gonna have an edge over iOS 5 too since you can do so much more with the Android OS.

But hey. To each his own, they're both great.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Gav47

I have an android phone and the only good thing about is that you can replace the keyboard with swype. 

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Because iOS is far more responsive than Android?

Flame on!
Flame on!
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sooty
@VilhelmNielsen said:

/flame on

sadly this has been the case with a lot of past Android phones so it has gotten a bit of a bad rep amongst the average joe that paid for a cheaper handset with some old version of the OS likely bogged down by carrier specific software
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By N7

I think Androids are awesome. iPhones are too sterile for my taste.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Choffy

@Ygg said:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

/flame on

sadly this has been the case with a lot of past Android phones so it has gotten a bit of a bad rep amongst the average joe that paid for a cheaper handset with some old version of the OS likely bogged down by carrier specific software

Mmm... No he's kind of right on. I use to love my Nexus One, but it's 18 months old now and I have to reset the thing a few times a day to correct bugs I've encountered (no visuals on the keyboard (can type but no keys are showing), unlock screen freezing, phone completely freezes when microphone turns on, etc.).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sooty
@Choffy said:

@Ygg said:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

/flame on

Mmm... No he's kind of right on. I use to love my Nexus One, but it's 18 months old now and I have to reset the thing a few times a day to correct bugs I've encountered (no visuals on the keyboard (can type but no keys are showing), unlock screen freezing, phone completely freezes when microphone turns on, etc.).

I've heard nothing but good about the Nexus One so that is definitely not a widespread thing. I wouldn't keep any phone in a state like that. (if it continued to do it after resetting/reinstalling/whatever)

Sounds more like a hardware issue, the Nexus phones now have Gingerbread too and there's certainly no glaring issues with that version of the OS. Used stock Gingerbread on my Nexus S for 3 months before switching to Cyanogenmod. Not a single crash.

and my Nexus is way snappier than my second cousin's iPhone 4 so I don't think he is spot on at all. >:)
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp

Because the wild west approach with the android tech arming race that leaves older phones behind without warning, along with updates being shoddy leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Then you add Brad is probably locked into some weird At&t contract right now.  Also their office is geared towards producing media and content on Final Cut Pro machines Apple seems pretty easy to choose.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Choffy

@Ygg said:

@Choffy said:

@Ygg said:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

/flame on

I've heard nothing but good about the Nexus One so that is definitely not a widespread thing. I wouldn't keep any phone in a state like that. (if it continued to do it after resetting/reinstalling/whatever) Sounds more like a hardware issue, the Nexus phones now have Gingerbread too and there's certainly no glaring issues with that version of the OS. Used stock Gingerbread on my Nexus S for 3 months before switching to Cyanogenmod. Not a single crash. and my Nexus is way snappier than my second cousin's iPhone 4 so I don't think he is spot on at all. >:)

Oh trust me I wish I could use a different phone but I just don't have a replacement. It could be that I need to update Cyanogenmod, but these things have been going on for a while so who knows at this point.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard
@Ygg said:
@mnzy said:
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Android doesn't link in with anything like an iPhone does with iTunes but some people prefer that. I kinda do myself.  Still it's a bit weird but Android can be such a monopoly. Android 2.3 or Cyanogenmod is definitely better than iOS in its current form. Probably still gonna have an edge over iOS 5 too since you can do so much more with the Android OS.  But hey. To each his own, they're both great.
There are plenty of iTunes plugins you can get that allow you to sync your library onto any phone. I have synced my iTunes library to a Nokia E72.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

@Ygg said:

@Choffy said:

@Ygg said:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

/flame on

I've heard nothing but good about the Nexus One so that is definitely not a widespread thing. I wouldn't keep any phone in a state like that. (if it continued to do it after resetting/reinstalling/whatever) Sounds more like a hardware issue, the Nexus phones now have Gingerbread too and there's certainly no glaring issues with that version of the OS. Used stock Gingerbread on my Nexus S for 3 months before switching to Cyanogenmod. Not a single crash. and my Nexus is way snappier than my second cousin's iPhone 4 so I don't think he is spot on at all. >:)

Every Android device I've tried, including the Galaxy Tab, has been a split-second behind my gestures. My iPhone and iPad make me feel like I'm scrolling 1:1.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AuthenticM

He should get either the Nexus S or wait for the new one rumored to come out this year. Then he should install CyanogenMod 7 on it, and then he'd have the best cell phone on the planet. :)

xdarnokx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xdarnokx

I went from iPhone to Android about 6 months ago, and honestly, I've had zero regrets.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus

I've got an android 2.3 phone, and I love it. I've also used an iPod touch since high school, and I love that too- just a matter of preference