GOTY 2013 Speculation Thread

• 113 results
crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I will never forget when MK9 got kicked off the top 10...... LETS HOPE THAT HAPPENS AGAIN WITH INJUSTICE!!!

devoidcheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@phrosnite: why boring, they all make really good cases, and this was not a bad year in video games...

My only complaint will be if Gone Home is on the list, it was a fun 90 minute romp, but the only thing that kept me interested was knowing it was that short.

devoidcheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But in all honestly, it should be either Last of Us or Bioshock: infinite...I know going triple A is the easy way out, but both of those were great games.

If DmC wins, I would agree w/ that...as long as it's not GTA V...I've played all the GTA's leading up to it, and they have not held my attention since Vice City.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here's my, unordered, prediction for the list

• The Last of Us*
  • Grand Theft Auto 5*
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • DOTA2
  • Rogue Legacy*
  • Bioshock Infinite*
  • Gone Home*
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag*
  • Super Mario 3D World*

There are 3 other games that I keep thinking about. They are Divekick, Papers Please, and (maybe) The Swapper. I think these ones will be talked about a lot, but will get booted off of the list in the end. They could squeeze their way on though, and in that case I think some interchangeable games would be Brothers, The Stanley Parable, and DOTA2. I'm fairly confident every other game I predicted will be on the list (which is why I put *'s next to those games).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#105  Edited By Justin258

@artisanbreads: @fitzgerald: Have you guys thought about buying a copy and then emulating it? That way, you've got a legal copy, but you can play it on a bigger screen.

beasontheswarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@naru_joe93: That's a pretty solid list and seems to address the intersection of compromise and the most dominant voices.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a Dark souls enthusiast but... oh wait, that was a last year game, wasn't it. Guess because I am playing it on PC. Camera has been pissing me off, but what a game. using a controller, feels right.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By roboculus92

@naru_joe93 said:

Here's my, unordered, prediction for the list

• The Last of Us*
  • Grand Theft Auto 5*
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • DOTA2
  • Rogue Legacy*
  • Bioshock Infinite*
  • Gone Home*
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag*
  • Super Mario 3D World*

There are 3 other games that I keep thinking about. They are Divekick, Papers Please, and (maybe) The Swapper. I think these ones will be talked about a lot, but will get booted off of the list in the end. They could squeeze their way on though, and in that case I think some interchangeable games would be Brothers, The Stanley Parable, and DOTA2. I'm fairly confident every other game I predicted will be on the list (which is why I put *'s next to those games).

I seriously doubt DOTA2 will be on the list (though it'll definitely be on Brad's list) but otherwise I pretty much agree with what you have there.

edit: Just for the hell of it, I'll put down what I think the order might be (Oh and now that I think about it, Zelda will definitely be on that list and Saints Row 4 will probably be on there as well so I'll just swap out Dota2 and The Stanley Parable).

1. The Last of Us

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3. Gone Home

4. Bioshock Infinite

5. Super Mario 3D World

6. Saints Row 4

7. Grand Theft Auto V

8. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

9. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

10. Rogue Legacy

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamespot just gave their overall GOTY to Zelda, which I think is fucking fantastic. It's great to see a handheld title rewarded for once. I'll shout it til my face is blue, but I still think Ghost Trick was GOTY 2011.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Despite some of the crew's misgivings with the game, I think The Last of Us holds a good chance for game of the year.

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Dooley

@themanwithnoplan It's truly a shame that what happened with Ryan ruined The Last of Us for Jeff. I honestly think that if Ryan was still around The Last of Us would be game of the year. I understand that the gameplay was not well liked by most of the crew, but what that game did with the story and voice acting is unlike anything I have ever seen in a video game. I predict that GTAV and Bioshock Infinite will be in the top running for this year. I would be surprised if Gone Home and The Stanley Parable rank higher than those two but it is definitely a possibility. Super Mario 3D World, Brothers, Assasins Creed IV: Black Flag and Rayman Legends will also most likely be on this list. Games that could round out the rest could be Dead Rising 3, Tearaway and Saints Row IV. I imagine that The Last of Us will be somewhere in the top ten I just don't know where.

As I said before though, its a real shame that TLoU was tainted by their tragedy. Because for me nothing else this year even came close. Looking forward to listening to 9 hours of these dudes deliberating though.

P.S. @patrickklepek please fight for Metro: Last Light to win some kind of an award. I really enjoyed that game. Also good luck with The Swapper. @brad please fight for Ni no Kuni. You know how special that game really is.

P.S.S. Well shit everyone is posting their top ten so I might as well.

1. The Last of Us

2. DOTA 2

3. Assasins Creed: Black Flag

4. Bioshock Infinite

5. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

6. Metro: Last Light

7. Saints Row IV

8. Rogue Legacy

9. Rayman Legends

10. NBA 2k13

And my 2011 game of 2013 is Dark Souls. I played that game for over 200 hours. It's nothing compared to the over 3000 hours I've spent in DOTA 2 but its still more than any other single player game ever for me.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By gerrid

Urg I hope it's not like 2008 all over again and Jeff will convince everyone to go for GTA. I think the only way it would win is a sort of default choice, since actually now Jeff seems to have gone off the boil, I don't think Patrick liked it and Brad hated it too, which would only leave Vinny and I don't think it was his favourite game. Bioshock Infinite might squeeze it.

Like everyone says Last of Us doesn't stand a chance because Jeff is dead against it no matter what and, while Brad loved it and Vinny and Drew both liked it, I don't think it will be enough. An outside chance of Saints Row 4 since they all seemed to really enjoy that, but I don't think it is a big enough game for them to choose for site GOTY.

Brothers will be up there but I think Papers, Please and Gone Home will also get included.

So taking all of that into consideration... Windjammers.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By jaycrockett

Who exactly is going to be in the room this year? Patrick and Alex? I really like Drew but he just seems to play less games. Alex seems to play and review a lot of games, so I hope he's included.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There will be two games that will be pushed so far that someone will almost lose their shit during the podcasts. You know the ones...