have they said when the game of the year podcasts will be up

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spyder335

I have a 16 hour drive coming up and am in need of roadtrip entertainment.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

They usually roll that stuff out Christmas week while they're on vacation, so if I had to guess I'd say we'll see the first podcast on the Monday, December 23.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@spyder335: Judging by past years most likely around Christmas time.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HerbieBug

They usually roll that stuff out Christmas week while they're on vacation, so if I had to guess I'd say we'll see the first podcast on the Monday, December 23.

Yep. It's been like this the past several years.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JBird

The people above have answered the topic thread so If I may side track slighty.... The end of year podcasts are usually my favourites over the year, but to properly enjoy them you have to have either played all the main releases or just not care about spoilers. It's the one pod-cast I wish they put timestamps in so that if I wish to hear the debate about say, the GTA plot, I can just skip it....although that being said it's no huge deal to just scrub along a bit!

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Makes you wonder if this is what they're up to today. Surprisingly little content from the SF Giant Bomb crew. Glad to see Patrick is pulling all the weight around here. :p

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GaspoweR

I also wonder if they're going to do video stuff for the GOTY like they've always done but considering what has happened half-way this year it might probably be a lot tougher.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

Makes you wonder if this is what they're up to today. Surprisingly little content from the SF Giant Bomb crew. Glad to see Patrick is pulling all the weight around here. :p

This was how it was last year. Barely anything after December 1.

The end-of-year videos apparently take so much time to create, film, and edit, Vinny and Drew will be pretty busy for the next few weeks. Since they out-do themselves each year, it takes more and more effort. Meanwhile, game-of-the-year stuff takes some time to plan out. I'm sure since Thanksgiving happened later in the month and two consoles came out, they have even less time to prepare.

Also, with the exception of GT6, Walking Dead, or Peggle 2, nothing is really coming out until next year, unless I'm mistaken.

I think two years ago Ryan and Patrick started their Chrono Trigger endurance run around this time, so there was something every day, but obviously, endurance runs...yeah...

Time to watch 48 hours of Extra Life stuff, finally!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Download all of the Chrono Trigger ER and pour one out for RTD.

Not while driving though.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Speaking of which, I'm rewatching the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run with Brad and Ryan. Good times... the combination of Brad's less than stellar gameplay and Ryan being smarmy makes for hilarity.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

You could listen to GOTY discussions of years past for that car ride if you wanted. 2011's deliberations get nasty in several places, and the ultimate Saints Row vs Skyrim discussion is filled with videogamesmen angrily discussing the merits of dildo bats.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Download the 2010 GOTY deliberations. Those were the best ones they have ever had.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

You could listen to GOTY discussions of years past for that car ride if you wanted. 2011's deliberations get nasty in several places, and the ultimate Saints Row vs Skyrim discussion is filled with videogamesmen angrily discussing the merits of dildo bats.

Doesn't that argument between Jeff and Brad last for like two hours? I remember starting to get annoyed with it when Ryan just up and said "All right, Skyrim, we're done, let's go home!" And so granted the rightful winner its place! *runs fast*

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

I also wonder if they're going to do video stuff for the GOTY like they've always done but considering what has happened half-way this year it might probably be a lot tougher.

I'm sure they will (I recall Drew making an off-hand comment about doing them recently), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them toned down a lot from last year. Although I wouldn't be surprised if that happened regardless of anything else.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21

Yeah, this stuff will be up on the week they are on vacation. We'll get normal stuff the week of and then the podcasts and videos will roll the week they are out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

Doesn't that argument between Jeff and Brad last for like two hours? I remember starting to get annoyed with it when Ryan just up and said "All right, Skyrim, we're done, let's go home!" And so granted the rightful winner its place! *runs fast*

"Listen man, no other game can do what Skyrim can so GOTY!"

"In Saints Row you go into Tronworld!"

guhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Which was, incidentally, one of the worst fucking parts of the game!

I'd go into more detail but I don't want to derail this thread. Or, whatever, we can totally derail this thread. Maybe bring it around to proving Skyrim's superiority using the Mongol Empire as an example somehow.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By MildMolasses

I don't see why I can't pour alcohol out of my window while driving

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I'd go into more detail but I don't want to derail this thread. Or, whatever, we can totally derail this thread. Maybe bring it around to proving Skyrim's superiority using the Mongol Empire as an example somehow.

Nah, I'm fully in favor of running this thread off the tracks. Prediction time: Which game will Brad Shoemaker bust out his legendary filibuster powers for this year? Oh right. Brothers. Silly me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@brodehouse said:

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Nah, I'm fully in favor of running this thread off the tracks. Prediction time: Which game will Brad Shoemaker bust out his legendary filibuster powers for this year? Oh right. Brothers. Silly me.

But discussing the 2013 GOTY's is pretty much on topic.

Another prediction: The "Are there ten games better than Brothers?" meme has gotten so out of hand that Brad Shoemaker will not want to bring it up out of guilt and the game will just fade out of GOTY deliberations. Besides, Dota 2.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be interesting this year because I don't think there's a clear winner to me. I knew XCOM was going to win last year, I knew Skyrim and Saints Row 3 would be in contention in 2011, and the same for Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 in 2009.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

@believer258 said:

But discussing the 2013 GOTY's is pretty much on topic.

Another prediction: The "Are there ten games better than Brothers?" meme has gotten so out of hand that Brad Shoemaker will not want to bring it up out of guilt and the game will just fade out of GOTY deliberations. Besides, Dota 2.

Eh, Brad at least has Patrick's support when discussing Brothers (because it's a short artsy game that tries to make you feel something). No one is going to back him on DOTA.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hatking

@chiablo said:

@brodehouse said:

Speaking of which, I'm rewatching the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run with Brad and Ryan. Good times... the combination of Brad's less than stellar gameplay and Ryan being smarmy makes for hilarity.

Crazy that somebody else is revisiting that stuff. I'm on episode 29 or so of Vinny and Jeff. I was going to do the Ryan and Brad one afterwards. It's weird how long it's been since those went up. I remember watching them like it was a few months ago, but it's been years. I've been getting weirdly sentimental about this website recently. How huge it has been in my life since it launched. I think Ryan passing has put a lot of stuff in perspective. I spend more time with these guys than pretty much anybody else.

Sorry for the tangent.

I was wondering what they'd do for the GOTY stuff this year. With Ryan gone and Patrick (and they don't usually do extended call-ins) living far away, the podcasts might be a little weird. I mean, Drew certainly has fantastic perspective, but he doesn't seem to keep up with games the way the other guys (are paid to) do. Although, I think he's the only one of the regular crew who finished The Last of Us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

I don't see why I can't pour alcohol out of my window while driving

I'm sure Officer Steve will disagree vehemently.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@wjb said:

It'll be interesting this year because I don't think there's a clear winner to me. I knew XCOM was going to win last year, I knew Skyrim and Saints Row 3 would be in contention in 2011, and the same for Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 in 2009.

I predict that Bioshock Infinite and Grand Theft Auto V will be front-runners.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Klepek said on Idle Thumbs last week that he'd be back in SF in two weeks for the goty stuff.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

I think both will definitely be top 5 for sure. GTA V was impressive, but it seemed like a few were a little disappointed with the game afterward. I don't think it'll be number one.

BioShock can be a possibility for number one since everyone seemed to love it unanimously when it came out, but I wonder how they feel about it now. The Internet has been picking that game apart for months.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:
@wjb said:

I think both will definitely be top 5 for sure. GTA V was impressive, but it seemed like a few were a little disappointed with the game afterward. I don't think it'll be number one.

BioShock can be a possibility for number one since everyone seemed to love it unanimously when it came out, but I wonder how they feel about it now. The Internet has been picking that game apart for months.

If Patrick is around for GOTY then it won't win, since I remember him saying he "soured" on it recently. I do wonder if anyone else backpeddled on their opinions too though. That complete 180 people have had toward that game is so dumb.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@brodehouse said:

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Sir, there is going to be a 6 hour debate over the Dota 2 hero of the year, in which every 35 seconds Jeff will just yell "BRISTLE BACK"