Whats up with the lack of coverage for this year's PAX?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Last year, I often see some updates from PAX but this year, the only thing they have written and covered is Bastion and Duke Nukem Forever. It seems like there's no talk about it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

They haven't had time to upload most of what they've done.  Videos need to be edited and articles need to be written.  Check back in on Monday or Tuesday and you should start seeing more PAX-related material.

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By McDunkin

Yeah, I can't imagine whatever hotel they are staying in will let them upload hours of 720p video.  Just have to be patient this year :]

RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I'm not talking about the videos, I'm talking about the twitter updates/photos because last year I recall tons of photos and also articles/impressions

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart

It's the weekend. They're probebly chilling like they usually do when they aren't working. Monday/Tuesday will have tons of info.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ThePickle

I guess I have to wait :(

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve
@Mcfart said:
" It's the weekend. They're probebly chilling like they usually do when they aren't working. Monday/Tuesday will have tons of info. "
They are working this weekend, that's the issue the OP is having.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By fuzzyponken

It's disappointing. I thought I'd be covered in PAX coverage all weekend but there's been barely anything coming out from anyone. 

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By andrela

Just means theres gonna be a ton of stuff coming this week. Sit tight ;)

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By nail1080

Yeah the coverage sucks, I know that the main articles and videos take time, but there's no excuse not to set up a quick podcast or just a few quick vids with no edits, pretty lazy IMO

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mozzle

Probably gonna save a bunch of it for Thursday. They got a lot of hours to fill. 

Bolthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bolthor

I was hoping for at least one coverage podcast, video or something. But it has been pretty dead.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WalkerTR77

I believe Monday is a holiday, so they won't be back till Tuesday. Even Giantbomb takes a day off once in a while I guess.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dany
@nail1080 said:
" Yeah the coverage sucks, I know that the main articles and videos take time, but there's no excuse not to set up a quick podcast or just a few quick vids with no edits, pretty lazy IMO "
Maybe because they don't want to do a quick podcast or a video with no edits? Jeff said last night on his live stream that they will have two podcasts, one of the pax panel and one they are going to record monday(they are working monday and not friday)
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

It's a team of five guys total.  There's only so much that they can handle.  Would you prefer that they run around the show floor collecting as much information as they can to disperse over the course of this week, or deliver less information by taking a time out from the show floor to post a hastily worded news article or unedited video?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By scarace360

There to busy playing duke nukem forever.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By mesklinite

lack of podcast suprised me.
peligroy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By peligroy2k

They took off on friday to work on monday, so they def working today, Ryan just tweet that he "is ready to fuck monday", i guess he is energize!!??
mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfluke
@Hailinel said:
" It's a team of five guys total.  There's only so much that they can handle.  Would you prefer that they run around the show floor collecting as much information as they can to disperse over the course of this week, or deliver less information by taking a time out from the show floor to post a hastily worded news article or unedited video? "
this
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By pbhawks45

I can't tell you how long it takes to edit a video. Now, I'm no video savant. I've used it in some journalism classes when I've had to edit a highlight package from a baseball game. I shot 30 minutes of footage, and used a whopping 1 minute of that with Final Cut. It took around an hour to ingest the footage, and another hour to edit and finish my package.

Now, I didn't do any of the crazy editing stuff that Vinny does (he's an expert), but that still took me around two hours. That was just one video source! Imagine how long it would take to compile multiple video sources, and actually look professional? It's hard work, man. 

RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RelentlessKnight
@mesklinite said:
" lack of podcast suprised me. "
yeah I agree, last year they made a podcast near the end of Day 3 and I think this year we'll see a podcast on tuesday/tomorrow
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NinjaHunter
@pbhawks45 said:
" I can't tell you how long it takes to edit a video. Now, I'm no video savant. I've used it in some journalism classes when I've had to edit a highlight package from a baseball game. I shot 30 minutes of footage, and used a whopping 1 minute of that with Final Cut. It took around an hour to ingest the footage, and another hour to edit and finish my package. Now, I didn't do any of the crazy editing stuff that Vinny does (he's an expert), but that still took me around two hours. That was just one video source! Imagine how long it would take to compile multiple video sources, and actually look professional? It's hard work, man.  "
This. 

Editing a video can take hours, even if you know exactly what you want. Since it seems like they didn't start editing, I'm just making assumptions here, till probably earlier today and they just posted a bunch of trailers we won't see any original video from them till tuesday. Plus the pax podcast is up so listen to that. It's pretty good, even without the video.
Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Jayzz
@NinjaHunter said:

" @pbhawks45 said:

" I can't tell you how long it takes to edit a video. Now, I'm no video savant. I've used it in some journalism classes when I've had to edit a highlight package from a baseball game. I shot 30 minutes of footage, and used a whopping 1 minute of that with Final Cut. It took around an hour to ingest the footage, and another hour to edit and finish my package. Now, I didn't do any of the crazy editing stuff that Vinny does (he's an expert), but that still took me around two hours. That was just one video source! Imagine how long it would take to compile multiple video sources, and actually look professional? It's hard work, man.  "
This.  Editing a video can take hours, even if you know exactly what you want. Since it seems like they didn't start editing, I'm just making assumptions here, till probably earlier today and they just posted a bunch of trailers we won't see any original video from them till tuesday. Plus the pax podcast is up so listen to that. It's pretty good, even without the video. "
yeah it was great(edit: the audio only, that is).

I know one time i had to chop up a video for youtube - it take forever... then rendering time.. oh boy.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman

I didn't expect much. As Ryan says on the podcast, PAX is more about them messin' around and having fun.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Castro

Ryan and Jeff were on Ustream during their ride home last night and Ryan said that he conducted something like twelve interviews yesterday. Jeff did four I think. That was just on Sunday. It takes time to get that stuff ready for public consumption. With the Big Live Live Show Live happening on Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised if we see PAX stuff well into next week. Everyone should be patient.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alternate

Last year they covered it live but it was kinda ghetto - this year they brought all the gear and shot a lot of interviews by the sound of it.

Even if editing all that stuff didn't take time it still has to be encoded (at two different bit rates) so it will take a while to get anything up.

They didn't do hotel room podcasts as - unlike the presentation last year - the panel was one big podcast and then they are taping again on Monday about whatever games they saw at PAX.

Look at the major sites.  They have bigger crews and they didn't post much over the weekend either.  Logistics of shooting stuff, editing it and uploading it over crappy hotel internet is impractical.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mmmslash
@nail1080 said:
" Yeah the coverage sucks, I know that the main articles and videos take time, but there's no excuse not to set up a quick podcast or just a few quick vids with no edits, pretty lazy IMO "
Complaining about services offered to you for free seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasta

If you listen to the podcast they say most of the stuff will be put up on the site "next week".

I dont blame them, I know its their job to cover this stuff, write the reviews and get the footage but I'm sure they want to just enjoy the weekend like everyone else.