#1 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -

I picked up this game yesterday off the 3ds marketplace and so far I LOVE IT!

It ticks all the boxes for me, a turn based JRPG with random encounters and a job system. On top of that there is the Default/Brave system which adds an interesting element of strategy.

I have only played a few hours so far but the only thing thats annoying me is the uninspired storyline. You know the one, there are four crystals representing the four elements that are failing.... darkness threatens the world... have to save the crystals.... four heroes...

I have been waiting for a good turn based RPG for a while now and so far this is the perfect fit.

#2 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

I think I wish I lived in Europe so I could play it. February is a long ways away.

#3 Posted by Daveyo520 (7006 posts) -

I have a question, about how long is it? Regular JRPPG length?

#4 Edited by Mercury45 (146 posts) -

People are saying about 70 hours. I have just started myself, but it seems like it'll be a long haul (in a way I like).

I do agree that the story is a little formulaic, but I like the characters and the way the game plays so I don't think it's all bad.

#5 Edited by Buneroid (428 posts) -

I'm really fighting the urge to impulse buy this game but I know I'll probably never finish it.

#6 Posted by redyoshi (233 posts) -

I was lukewarm on this game after playing the demo but I decided to give the full release a shot anyway and I'm glad I did. Once I was eased into the battle system instead of just thrown in feet first I was hooked pretty quickly. I love that I can turn off experience gain if I ever feel a bit overleveled, or even if I feel like grinding out a few job levels. Speaking of grinding, fast-forward plus auto-battle is a godsend.

The story's been done before but I can stomach it if I like the characters well enough, which I do. Kinda rare for me since there's always at least one guy that bugs me. In this game I thought it would be Ringabel, but after reading his journal I warmed up to him soon enough. The Tales-style party chats that pop up every now and then also do a lot for endearing the characters to me.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (3829 posts) -

It's everything I ever wanted for a modernised version of NES/SNES Final Fantasy games, which to me is great.

#8 Posted by Steadying (1478 posts) -

I really want to play this, but at the same time, I think the story seems kinda lame and the brave and default stuff is just kinda boring in my opinion.....ARHHGGG I'm probably gonna buy it anyway.

#9 Posted by Demonsoul (68 posts) -

@probablytuna:

It's everything I ever wanted for a modernised version of NES/SNES Final Fantasy games, which to me is great.

^ this pretty much sums it up for me!

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12127 posts) -

Thus far (chapter 2), it's pretty much the sequel to Final Fantasy V I've always wanted, even if I can totally break the (otherwise acceptably challenging) difficulty by using the weapons I've obtained from rebuilding the village to steamroll whoever gets in my way, though I imagine that won't last.

Also like Final Fantasy V, I think the characters are pretty one-note and I think the story is super cliche, and every review I've read suggests that it doesn't get much better in that department. Oh well.

#11 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

I could tell you what I think or you could read my review.

I'm glad people are finding some enjoyment in it.

#12 Edited by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

Level 30, I just finished the fashion show bit, 18 hours in according to the clock, I'm enjoying it, but the brave/default system still isn't making sense to me; why would you ever not brave as much as you can? every single fight I just brave everyone but my healer up on the first turn, try to take everyone out, then weather the storm with my healer until my turn comes around again.

It's an interesting concept, but so far it's just been me playing the menu game a bit more than I'm used to for this sort of game and it hasn't really added to the experience in a positive or interesting way.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5974 posts) -

@kidavenger: In random battles that's a totally viable strategy. Random battles aren't really supposed to be difficult though. If you're in a boss fight, then you could be in trouble if you brave all your dudes right away.

#14 Edited by benspyda (2051 posts) -

I really enjoyed all the job customization options and freedom to make different builds. The story was kinda dull and there is some terrible game design that if not for the ability to turn off random encounters would have drove me insane going through the same areas over and over.

That said I really fell in love with the game and put over 70 hours into it.

#15 Edited by Mercury45 (146 posts) -

I think it's a solid start to a potential great new franchise. I like the acting and the characters, the plot was OK but had some stellar points (regarding those two characters, for those who have gotten to like chapter 4+), and the battle and job system was a lot of fun. A few hiccups here and there, but it's still a decent game.

If Bravely Second ups its game from this I think it will be a very good RPG indeed.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (8559 posts) -

Level 30, I just finished the fashion show bit, 18 hours in according to the clock, I'm enjoying it, but the brave/default system still isn't making sense to me; why would you ever not brave as much as you can? every single fight I just brave everyone but my healer up on the first turn, try to take everyone out, then weather the storm with my healer until my turn comes around again.

It's an interesting concept, but so far it's just been me playing the menu game a bit more than I'm used to for this sort of game and it hasn't really added to the experience in a positive or interesting way.

Because if you Default instead you take 50%(?) damage. But yeah, for random encounters I just set up a 4x Brave Auto-Battle thing appropriate for whatever area I'm in.

@benspyda said:

[T]here is some terrible game design that if not for the ability to turn off random encounters would have drove me insane going through the same areas over and over.

Doesn't that make it... AMAZING game design?

#17 Edited by hollitz (1624 posts) -

I think I just hit a point in the game (about 45 hours in) where I can really see some people getting annoyed with the direction that the story takes--and by extension what you're made to do for the next stretch of game.

I'm loving it though.

There is one pretty unbearable segment toward the Fire Crystal involving Tiz--the worst character by far. Edea more than makes up for him though. Mrgrgr.

#18 Edited by cloudyimpulse (230 posts) -

I literally just got done playing the game (put in over 100 hours) and watching the entire ending with credits. I played it with Japanese voices and English subtitles, so not sure how it sounds in just English. Got the true ending and I LOVED this game. I thought it was well done. I liked all the characters, and the final scene with Tiz actually made me kind of of go ahhhhhhhhhh. And then it kind of made me think of all the scenes with Ringabel always pushing Tiz at Agnès. It's all interesting.

And I liked the twist. What a great game. I just don't know if any of the guys at Giantbomb could commit so much time to getting the true ending...... unless they did a ENDURANCE RUN! Lol. Anyway, I recommend it for anyone into JRPGs.