Anything I should know about the PC version?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedRoach

With the Load our Last save series I've been itching to get back into it. I played about 20 hours on the 360 version back when it was released. I finally decided to install the PC version I picked up during the summer steam sale. Anyway I was wondering if there was anything I might need to know about this version. I remember hearing lots about it being a really poor port but also that a lot of its problems were fixed? i know you should have a controller to play, but that's about it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MezZa

dsfix will fix the issues with it. Just download that and edit the necesarry stuff in the text file (its straight forward). Be aware that a lot of the pvp invaders may be worse on the PC in terms of hacked stuff. Other than that I don't believe there's anything else to mention.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

The stereo is broken on two channel systems without a later version of DSfix.

Even though it's a 1:1 console port, you need a pretty powerful computer to run it at a constant 30 frames per second. Unlocking the framerate with DSfix helps, but it causes other problems.

Unless FromSoftware patches the game, the multiplayer will be terminated in Spring 2014 and you'll have to use a workaround to authenticate the game before an installation.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSFix22 is the current version of DSfix, install that. If you're running nvidia hardware uncap the framerate then enable adaptive vsync in the control panel. Everything is is pretty much fine, just tweak the DSfix settings until your happy.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedRoach
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@korwin: @ezekiel: So, DSfix very explicitly warns that using it to unlock the framerate could result in GFWL bans. I was never sure if that could have any effect on the associated Xbox Live account, so I never took the risk. Have either of you had any serious issues like that? Or has it just been fine?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it really sucks until you use dsfix, and even then there are some issues. i still have problems maintaining 30 and i have a Radeon HD 7970. It's super sad, cuz DS is one of my favorite games of this generation. Luckily, From has come out and said openly that the PC port of DS is shit and DS2 is being given a much different treatment. Fingers crossed.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ezekiel

@jjweatherman:I haven't played it much with the framerate unlocked. The side effects aren't worth it to me. But I've never heard of anyone getting banned for it.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I didn't risk it :p
the frame rate is nothing to write home about but it's very playable. Also, since you already played you're already used to it.

It's basically the same game you played before. The complaints are for the most part because it doesn't take advantage of the superior hardware on PCs. It's more about being a lazy port than a poor port. Devil May Cry 3 and Resident Evil 4 for pc are bad ports. They're inferior to their console counterparts. Dark Souls on the other hand is exactly the same game. It wasn't even going to be released on PC. People asked for it so much that they went out of their way to make a pc version. I'm a very happy owner of the PC version. In other situation it could've been even better no doubt about it, but to be honest pc gamers whine a bit too much at times.

about the mp: even if it does get "terminated" you can simply play with a offline Live account. If you don't like the mp you can already do that from the start.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin

@korwin: @ezekiel: So, DSfix very explicitly warns that using it to unlock the framerate could result in GFWL bans. I was never sure if that could have any effect on the associated Xbox Live account, so I never took the risk. Have either of you had any serious issues like that? Or has it just been fine?

I played through the whole thing without any problems, considering Microsoft give precisely zero shits about the service and are closing it down I wouldn't worry.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

i still have problems maintaining 30 and i have a Radeon HD 7970.

The performance is supposedly far more dependent on the CPU than the GPU.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The so called "DLC" isn't dlc in the PC version. That extra content comes with the game.

Pretty sweet.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have even a modest PC, an unmodded game will run better then the 360 version. Dark Souls ran at 720p on console.. it runs at 720p on PC. The game requires a controller on console, it basically requires a controller on PC. On Xbox you have to sign into Live, on PC you have to sign onto Live. The only difference is the frame-rate is better on a modest PC, and if you have a better than modest PC you can run the game better than the console version. There is 1080p, or higher resolutions, there is v-sync, SSAO options, Anti-aliasing, the ability to run at 60fps, new textures, enemies that are more aggressive. In all, this is the best version of the game to play... and if you think otherwise, just try and go back to Blighttown on the console version.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ezekiel

I wonder what a modest computer is to you, MonetaryDread. Most of the game runs at 30 fps on my Athlon II X4, 4 GB RAM and GTX 460, but there are hiccups, even if I lower the resolution to 1280x720. Blighttown runs at 15 half the time and the Chasm of the Abyss less than that. I remember the PS3 version performing better.