To *Eat* or Not to *Eat* Boss Souls?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll To *Eat* or Not to *Eat* Boss Souls? (215 votes)

Boss souls are yummy! Eat up and grow strong! 35%
Boss souls are not food! They're for higher learning. 65%

Do you eat boss souls or not? For the uninitiated, boss souls are also required for some crafting and learning special magic. At least that's how it was in previous games.

I'm eating like a boss, because I'm going 100% physical *Tower Shield & Great Weapon* type of character. What need do I have for the finer things in life, if I can just shrug it all off and beat it into pulp with an avalanche of steel?

What about you?

• 
white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was diagnosed with CollectiVinnitis a decade ago. My body is just unable to just willy nilly chuck away potential missables like that.

Scruggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The boss souls are my trophies and I don't like to lose them.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont eat them, they can be made into cool weapons and SICK tower shields

i can give a guide to getting the to boss weapon crafters if anyone needs

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm going to save them until I at least know what kind of weapons I can make with them. I heard you can make The Pursuer's great sword.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

If it is my first runthough of the game I will not eat boss souls. I'll keep them and see if I can craft them into a special weapon that I might use. On the second runthrough I'll eat boss souls if I know they make weapons that I know I will never use.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Only the early boss souls.

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eat boss souls? What am I, some kind of savage?!

@demoskinos: Hell yes you can. That shit is so bomb it's ridiculous.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jocund: Oh yeah? What are the requirements?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@demoskinos: Just his soul. You don't make them, you trade them for the item. The boss soul and 1500 souls per item.

Don't consume any of them. They don't give you crap in the way of souls. Most do not even go above 8000 when consumed. And you get way better equipment for trading. There are two traders. One about almost mid game, and another about 3/4ths of the way in the game. They each give you different things for the boss souls. But only a few souls they each can give you things for. So save them until you have found both of these boss soul traders before consuming them. As you never know what cool item you might get for them.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep them. I'd much rather someday make the boss weapons instead of getting a few thousand souls.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By azrailx

I'm going to save them until I at least know what kind of weapons I can make with them. I heard you can make The Pursuer's great sword.

you can, it looks pretty cool

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've been saving them, aside from the Last Giant Soul I ate accidentally. I haven't had a huge problem getting souls so far.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

My first run-through is the first time I've actually eaten the boss souls. I normally don't use them for anything, EVEN CRAFTING WEAPONS. Actually, no, I made Queelaag's Furysword once but it wasn't that great.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Putting this info in spoilers for those that don't want to know yet.

His name is Straid, hes a stone figure blocking a bonfire in The lost Bastille (after killing the first boss of the area). You need a fragrant branch of yore to use break the stone curse. Once you do that you can trade with him. He also sells super powerful spells and pyromancies. Next spoiler will tell you how to get a branch of yore.

To get one you can go to Harvest Valley, in the poison swamp one of the glowing items is branch of yore.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Ah cool. Thanks. I remember seeing him but I used the item you need for him on another NPC that required it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boss souls almost never make good weapons. Even if they don't give a ton of souls (they really should give more) why wouldn't I eat it, instead of trading for some worthless item I'll never use? It's been great for getting an extra level here and there.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Im waiting till I see the crafting options. I did make the halbard from the Old Dragonslayer soul, and that weapon has been doing me good.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@demoskinos: Putting this info in spoilers for those that don't want to know yet.

His name is Straid, hes a stone figure blocking a bonfire in The lost Bastille (after killing the first boss of the area). You need a fragrant branch of yore to use break the stone curse. Once you do that you can trade with him. He also sells super powerful spells and pyromancies. Next spoiler will tell you how to get a branch of yore.

To get one you can go to Harvest Valley, in the poison swamp one of the glowing items is branch of yore.

sorry if this is a stupid question but is the first boss the dude in chains with the big sword?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@sterling: OH IT'S SO TEMPTING TO CLICK. I have to resist.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like the terminology "eating" souls. I am more on the line of "Popping" souls and effigy's and stuff. "Eating" them just sounds gross.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katimanic: No.

The first boss of that area, not the game. The are is The lost Bastille.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I ate the giant's, but I've saved the others. You already level super fast, anyway

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the problem with boss souls is the upgrade materials for the weapon are obscenely rare (you need 15 to upgrade one fully) so you'll just have 40 weapons and only one or two of them to upgrade. Of course if you eat the Dragonrider soul that's pretty hilarious.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: I've made a few pretty good weapons out of the Flexile Sentry and Dragonrider's souls. Not having a burn a +10 weapon really increases their value.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By azrailx

@sterling said:

There is another boss soul weapon crafter available later in the game that also require a branch of yore

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jocund

@demoskinos: I don't have the game in front of me right now, but it's got about a 30 strength requirement, starts out with a damage output around the upper hundreds and scales pretty well with strength. Upgrading it increases the scaling, too. It's probably not the best weapon ever, but it's decently speedy for its size and does a good deal of damage, I think.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I ended up saving them all, with the intent of popping them if I wanted to level a bunch. I never needed to. They are all sitting in my item box as I sit post-game.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Sarumarine

I don't know yet for Dark Souls II, but usually I save all the boss souls until the final battle and then use them all in succession for a final level up session. The problem is that boss souls make gimmick weapons that you can't even use unless you've looked them up ahead of time and have the right stats. All the ones I went out of my way to make in Dark Souls were extremely underwhelming or too annoying to use (such as draining your health every time you attack, or being extremely fragile, etc.) I suppose they're something to screw around with, but I'd never count on them to make anything useful. I'd rather just use them for the raw souls.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just consumed all the souls I had for things I didn't want to trade for. And how disappointing. I consumed 9 boss souls for 64,000 souls. Weak. 5 were for 6,000, 3 for 8,000 and 1 for 10,000. And the weapons/spells they traded for where things I would never use with this character, or just didn't want to shape him to use them. I've only traded in like 4 or 5. I got a shield and a few weapons. But I only use the one weapon.

Shadowcoust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best idea is prolly to save 'em all up until you reach the Blacksmiths who can craft them boss souls weapons, but if memory serves me right most of those weapons were pretty useless in Dark Souls 1 & Demon Souls. Not sure if they decided to make boss souls weapons more legit in DS2.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I eat them, as I already found the weapon I'll never change from :)

@sterling said:

I just consumed all the souls I had for things I didn't want to trade for. And how disappointing. I consumed 9 boss souls for 64,000 souls. Weak. 5 were for 6,000, 3 for 8,000 and 1 for 10,000. And the weapons/spells they traded for where things I would never use with this character, or just didn't want to shape him to use them. I've only traded in like 4 or 5. I got a shield and a few weapons. But I only use the one weapon.

Yeah a lot of them are kinda weak, but the main ones give ~25k per.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I have two blacksmiths available who can craft stuff from boss souls and I have no idea what to get. This is the actual hard decision.