DELETE: Boss in Mook Clothing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Isn't this a TVTropes page?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: looks like it is and I'm not arguing that's not a known trope. I just didn't think tropes counted as valid concept pages for the wiki. Now I certainly could very well be mistaken, but I thought that was one of the guidelines Jeff set down about what constitutes a concept in the GB wiki. I'm sure one of the mods will make a ruling whether or not my understanding is correct or not.

But even then I'd argue this page has some pretty meaningful discovery problems which makes it not very useful. It only has 2 game associated with it and No one appears to have many adds or edits to it in 6 years+ despite the fact that this trope as defined is present in probably hundreds of games. So I think that's indicative of the name of the term not being intuitive. I don't have a better idea for a name but I also think the Palette Swap page could certainly have a mini section about this kind of usage if necessary.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Is a trope not a kind of concept?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@slag said:

@justin258: looks like it is and I'm not arguing that's not a known trope. I just didn't think tropes counted as valid concept pages for the wiki. Now I certainly could very well be mistaken, but I thought that was one of the guidelines Jeff set down about what constitutes a concept in the GB wiki. I'm sure one of the mods will make a ruling whether or not my understanding is correct or not.

But even then I'd argue this page has some pretty meaningful discovery problems which makes it not very useful. It only has 2 game associated with it and No one appears to have many adds or edits to it in 6 years+ despite the fact that this trope as defined is present in probably hundreds of games. So I think that's indicative of the name of the term not being intuitive. I don't have a better idea for a name but I also think the Palette Swap page could certainly have a mini section about this kind of usage if necessary.

Yeah, I think that's it's biggest problems (I'm not sure about the trope / concept thing either).

Maybe it needs to be broader, like "Difficulty Spike" - which again is more like a trope than a concept.

It feels like the page was invented for creatures like Cactaur, who you just stumble into, and who kill your entire party, but I can't think of that many other examples.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slag

@beachthunder: Y'know the more I look into this, the more I think I may be wrong here re: tropes.

I thought I read some official communication some time years ago about it which I interpreted to mean not to include plot device type tropes as concepts in the wiki. But the best I can refind now is basically slams on the quality of tv tropes's wiki in some locked threads so perhaps I didn't remember what was said correctly. Maybe it was meant to say don't insert subjective type fanbased tropes concept pages into the wiki (like jumping the shark perhaps. An idea which most people probably know and readily understand but is also something that is pretty much entirely subjective relative to an individuals' fan opinion.)

Looks like the official guidelines on concepts says this

Concepts are the most loosely defined data type, serving as kind of a catch-all for pages and associations that don't currently fit into one of the other data types, such as a race of creatures, a specific in-game event, character abilities, game play characteristics, and even shady organizations involved in the storyline of a game.

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/editing-tools-820/the-old-wiki-faq-421253/?page=2#js-message-6407005

So I'm not sure if plot device tropes count or not. I kinda hope they do count, as pages Like Monomyth I think are pretty useful. I'm game play characteristics might = a gameplay trope?

So thinking it over some more, "Boss in mook clothing" would be a gameplay trope not a plot one anyway. So maybe content wise ok for the wiki afterall.

I do still stand by requesting this Boss in Mook clothing page for consideration for deletion on the grounds that Palette Swap concept covers this idea better (and is a heck of a lot more popular and discoverable for the average wiki editor). At best BiMC seems like a type of Palette Swap usage, not a unique concept to itself. Maybe this should be more of a combine request than delete.

If the page does stay it could probably use a better name. Boss in Mook Clothing is the name Tvtropes uses, but otoh that seems to be the only other place than here of note on the web that references the term.

I don't have any good suggestions there, other than something like "Palette Swap Boss". Which isn't that great either.