Is the PS3 version ~that~ bad?

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought the PS3 version of this a while back. Based on the comments from Austin's QL, it looked like the PS3 version of this was a hot mess. Should I dump it and get the PC version, or is it worth keeping my copy (knowing there's frame dips).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its sub-30 frames most of the time, terribly letter boxed has an awful depth of field effect and if you want to play a Mystic Knight be prepared to watch a power point presentation.

If you have the option for the PC version I HIGHLY recommend it. I've got multiple friends now that dropped the console version but are fucking loving the PC version because these things aren't an issue.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

from my perspective(100 hours in 360 version, about 50 on the ps3 version) looking at the PC version I was "oh yeah that 60fps frame rate looks hella nice, i want to get a third copy". The console games aren't broken, Dragon's Dogma is still Dragon's Dogma in the way that it plays. The PC version is just the version to get, that's all.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

Lol why don't you turn it on and see for yourself? Well until just recently, the PS3/360 versions were the only ones and some people love this game so I'm sure it's ok to play unless you want an excuse to buy the PC version. From my experience, it doesn't run amazingly but completely playable.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zeik

I played through the whole thing twice (so over 100 hours) on the PS3 and I thought it was fine. The PC version is obviously going to be better, but I found it perfectly playable on PS3. Frankly, I never really understood why people made such a big deal over it, outside of the usual PC crowd. I've suffered through far worse.

That being said, if I had the option to play the PC version instead I would.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only positive it has over the PC version is the Berserk armor.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The console versions of Dragon's Dogma are still playable if you're willing to deal with the occasional chugging frame-rate. It was hardly a dealbreaker for me, given how much I played of it, but maaaaaan does that PC version look good running at a smooth FPS.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As someone who was playing this literally days before release on PS3, I highly recommend the PC version. I had no intentions of getting this game, but after witnessing how terrible the frame rate is again... I decided that anything could be better than playing this on console and I was definitely right. Feels like this is how the game was meant to be played without the hiccups and chugging. Not to mention there seems to be some nice high res textures for this game that actually make the game look decent, for the time that it came out... One other thing to mention is I didn't have the Dark Arisen version, so I also bought this for the DLC as well. My only complaint is that they took out the Berserk armor for whatever reason.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By newmoneytrash

the console versions aren't unplayable, but it's insane how much a solid framerate does for this game. it's immeasurably better

@whitestripes09: it's a licensing issue. it's also why into free hasn't been the menu music since the original release

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Its awful, its around 25 fps on average.

PC version is like a whole different game at that framerate.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Same with me on the 360. Didn't have any problems with it except for some of the effects-heavy battles.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played it on PS3, and I don't remember it being a hot mess. It probably plays better on PC, and that's where I'd play given the choice, but it was by no means unplayable.

But I also don't know what a solid 60 framerate does for this game.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC has no Berserk armor... for now :(. PS3 version should be fine, but if you can get the PC version, get it. It's so glorious without the letterboxing, and at a beautiful 60 fps.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It's so glorious without the letterboxing

Unless you're using a 16:10 monitor.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

PC has no Berserk armor

I feel like someone will find a way to mod that in at some point

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@madman356647: It was completely playable back then. Far from a hot mess really, just not ideal and letterboxing in games is something people should get locked up for so there is that. I mean it wasn't awesome, but it wasn't unplayable. I think Austin was just using that description as an unfortunate shorthand for "the performance wasn't always that good, some of the textures were pretty muddy and the load times were kind of long."

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cooperb212

It was hardly a dealbreaker, i find the framerate good and can still play it today. PC fan's will tell you otherwise so its really up to you. I'm a console gamer so its perfectly fine for me given the game scale and hardware. Different people have more or less tolerance to different framerates. I would personally not spend 40$ on a game you already own.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was a dealbreaker for me. Ok, I'd been complaining about console framerates for years but even then I'd generally finish the games I liked, but DDDA got binned after a few hours on PS3. I bought it again for 360 hoping things would be better with the same end result.

I've got a good PC but don't think I'm a snob - My consoles still get used for exclusives and I'm currently having a blast playing Yakuza 5 - but Dragon's Dogma crossed the line.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I put in dozens of hours into that game and never had any problems with it. The frame rate wasn't ideal but certainly not unplayable, and I never had a problem with letterboxing so it didn't bother me. Obviously 60 FPS, better resolution and better graphical options on the PC makes it the definitive version to play, but the console versions are fine.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a last gen open world console game. It runs exactly like that. Not terrible from what I've played.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the whole thing on PS3 not that long ago. Yeah, it doesn't do 60fps, but it's totally playable.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's fine. I played it for over 100 on PS3. The drops below 30fps are noticeable, but the game didn't turn into a slideshow.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's letterboxed and locked at 30 but it's totally playable. Thanks to the combat the dips aren't really that critical like Blood Borne.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played it an loved it even back then. But yes, the resolution is bad and the framerate is worse. It's kind of a technical mess. If you can play it on PC instead, you really should. It's better in every single way.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly didn't remember the frame rate until reading this thread, so it apparently never bothered me. I don't think it was as bad as Bayonetta on PS3.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had it on PS3 since it was free with PS+ a few years ago, but the performance looked so bad I always put it off in favor of something else. I paid to get it on PC for a better experience, whether or not you think that's worth it is up to you. I'm really sensitive to framerate, so frequent drops well below 30fps really hurt a game for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Its fine. Like a lot of games make sure your PS3 is clean. The cooler your PS3 run, the less issues you have with a whole host of games. The game can slow down a bit with big spells of if you have a huge beast and dozens of lesser beasts on the screen.

I have played hundred of hours of the PS3 version without ever thinking, "OMG this is taking too long..." I'll tell you this Dragons Dogma on PS3 plays a WHOLE LOT faster than The Witcher 3 does on PS4! ;-)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's fine; just long load times and not great graphics. The PC version is far superior, though.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cikame

PC version's good, i played it originally on 360 which i assume works roughly the same as the PS3 version. I have a huge problem with black borders in games so not having those is worth the price of admission alone, 60(+)fps for an action game automatically makes it better, waaay faster loading times makes playing a long rpg a better experience, the lantern and some other effects in the game can make it difficult to see enemies at night which i've resolved thanks to a mod, also added the original title music to the game which i think is a vast improvement, it was changed when the DLC updated the game.
The main flaws i have with the PC version are that the max volume is very low, i can only really hear the audio if i choose certain speaker settings in Windows which i have to enable and disable every time i want to play the game, and also it only supports a PS4 controller at a basic level, meaning buttons show up as numbers and the skills overlay doesn't represent the face buttons at all, modders are working to make a fix for this but honestly it's nowhere near as bad as the audio issue, which needs fixing immedietly.
Even considering those issues, the PC version is still better just due to performance.

If you needed any more reason to get the PC version, i introduce to you the Just Do It mod.

Loading Video...
OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OurSin_360

The 360 version is the first console game where i actively noticed the screen tearing and fps drops. Pc version looks nice but my pc is shitting itself so i wont know how good it is till my new parts get here. Sweetfx makes ghe game look pretty damn nice though and probably wont tank performance on a decent machine

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@cikame: Does it not work with DS4Windows? I'm running the game just fine that way with a DS4 and there's a mod (not tried it, though) to replace 360 button prompts with Playstation ones.

The only mod I've tried so far is the title music change although the torch one you mentioned looks intriguing.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: if you do exclusive mode, but it's glitchy (for me) in windows 10 so i have to use a 360 controller

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: It's working fine for me in W10 without turning exclusive mode on.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OurSin_360

@dave_tacitus: it works but has double input, you can also use dinput mode but the analogs didn't work. I didn't get past the menus with it so it may not have been noticable in actual gameplay, also generic icons popped up on certain buttons.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: There's something not right with your setup, then. You're running the latest DS4Windows build? It's had a few updates recently.

I have over 20 hours in the game with my DS4 and it's been flawless. Here are my DS4Windows settings.

No Caption Provided

Windows 10 Home x64, controller connected via bluetooth.