Location vs Concept (vs Thing)

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By risseless

I noticed today that Sewer was listed as a location, but was written generically to mean basically sewer levels in a game. I was under the impression that locations were meant to be specific places, usually proper nouns. Generic locations seem better suited as concepts to me.

I also noticed that Castle was listed as a thing. That seems odd to me as well. I mean, sure it is a thing in reality, but so is a sewer. Things to me imply items, and castle doesn't really fit that, but neither does it fit location in my mind, for the same reason as Sewer -- it's generic. Castle Greyskull would be a location I think, but the generic Castle would seem to me to be better as a concept.

I created pages for Tavern, Temple, and Armory today and created them as things to match Castle, but this is not sitting well for me. Should these be concepts instead? Or should they be locations? Am I wrong in thinking that locations should be specific locations, not generic ones? The FAQ seems to imply this, but doesn't state it outright.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm happy to do the work I can to switch my the pages to concepts or locations instead of things, but some clarity in the delinations would help.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By JackiJinx

All those things you listed are places. Whether or not they should be listed under locations or not has not been clarified by anyone and is possibly still under debate. For my money, I'd put it under locations because after process of elimination, they don't fit anywhere else and work with location best. Perhaps there will be a new category in the future that will better accommodate such places, but in the meantime, if you want them, just have them as locations.

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Justin_Case

A named location is one with either strong aspects persisting through iterations or an unique area that has distinctive features separating it from others. All of these aforementioned characteristics are present in the locations you mentioned. While those pages should certainly not be listed as objects, there can be a case made for them as concepts. For example, a castle may not always look the same or have the same exact architecture, (Castlevania is a great example.) but it is a castle regardless.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By risseless

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So it sounds like my feeling that locations should be limited to proper nouns is incorrect, and thus all the following need to be changed from thing to location: Castle, Tavern, Temple, Armory. What's the best way to do this? I'm happy to create location pages for each of them, move all the images, information, and links over to the location page, and empty the thing page then request its deletion. But is there any easier way? Can someone behind the scenes just change its type in the database and all magically realigns?

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By JackiJinx

You should contact a member of the staff to change the existing pages to what they should be categorized as. No one else has editing privileges for that sort of thing except them. PM someone like daniel or Jeff for your best bet.