Thinking of a name for a concept: Generation Gap games

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sodacat

i.e. games that were released at the same time for two generations of hardware, like Vigilante 8 2nd Offense on the PSX, N64, and DC, or GUN for the PS2, GCN, and 360.

Man, there would be a bunch of Maddens in this group.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

@sodacat said:

Man, there would be a bunch of Maddens in this group.

No kidding. I think the concept would ultimately be too broad.

Good topic for a list though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Sorry dude, I don't think that deserves its own page.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodacat

@SaturdayNightSpecials: Nevermind the headache of PC platforms. The Speccy and DOS are obviously part of different generations, but where does Amiga fit into hardware generations?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I think this is actually pretty doable. It's work, sure, but it's a great idea. We've got the numbers!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I disagree. I just don't see what the point of it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

@sodacat said:

@SaturdayNightSpecials: Nevermind the headache of PC platforms. The Speccy and DOS are obviously part of different generations, but where does Amiga fit into hardware generations?

Indeed, it'd be simple enough to keep track of all these games going forward, but retroactively making this list would be a complete nightmare.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Just console games. PC doesn't have generations, we just measure it in comparison to them. And it's interesting, that's the point

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By egg

Cross-Generation Games? Cross-Generation Titles?

Multiple Generations?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By recroulette

This would be 95 percent sports games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Double dippers?

Anyway I don't think we need anything specific for this.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By uhtaree

On this week's bombcast Patrick referred to games like these as 'split-gen' games when discussing a Saint's Row game appearing alongside next-gen consoles in 2013.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

@GERALTITUDE: It's perfectly fine to find it interesting and to a certain extent I do agree but like everyone else has said it's way to broad a category to even consider. Granted, some concepts are found in like 95% of all games ever released but this concept in particular seems way too niche and messy to edit. If the mods want to add this concept I won't object but I think the time spent on editing this is better spent on editing something more important, whatever it may be.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Justin258

@GERALTITUDE said:

Just console games. PC doesn't have generations, we just measure it in comparison to them. And it's interesting, that's the point

Madden 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, FIFA 12, FIFA 11, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Burnout Revenge, and Gun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@believer258 said:

@GERALTITUDE said:

Madden 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, FIFA 12, FIFA 11, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Burnout Revenge, and Gun.

• Hitman Blood Money
  • Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
  • Samurai Warriors 2
  • Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
  • Warriors Orochi
  • Warriors Orochi 2
  • Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories... along with a whole horde of other Wii stuff as well I'll bet.

EDIT - Annnnd:

• Lego Batman
  • Lego Star Wars 2
  • Lego Indiana Jones
  • Mercenaries 2
  • Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
  • Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
  • Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Manhunt 2
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Justin258

@Yummylee said:

@believer258 said:

@GERALTITUDE said:

• Hitman Blood Money
  • Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
  • Samurai Warriors 2
  • Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
  • Warriors Orochi
  • Warriors Orochi 2
  • Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories... along with a whole horde of other Wii stuff as well I'll bet.

EDIT - Annnnd:

• Lego Batman
  • Lego Star Wars 2
  • Lego Indiana Jones
  • Mercenaries 2

You make me look bad...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@believer258: lol I didn't mean to necessarily one up you or anything; just supplying some additional examples should this ever actually be made into a concept page. We've both proven there's a sizeable list at the very least, one that also isn't simply made up of annual sports games.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Perfect!

See, now we (er, you) have done so much leg work already! As YummyLee said, what's important is that's it's not all sports games/shovelware. I'm not 100% sure but aren't some of these PS3/360 to Wii ports. That wouldn't be a generation gap really, would it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@GERALTITUDE said:

See, now we (er, you) have done so much leg work already! As YummyLee said, what's important is that's it's not all sports games/shovelware. I'm not 100% sure but aren't some of these PS3/360 to Wii ports. That wouldn't be a generation gap really, would it?

Nope, I'm sure. I actually own a small sum of the one's I've listed on both pre and current gen consoles even, and I checked up on the few that I wasn't entirely confident in.

EDIT: Only just realised this thread is like a month old... Surprised there's been no mod input as of yet.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Ok, sweet -- I was pretty sure about your list but all those Maddens and FIFAs Believer mentioned are just cross-platform, aren't they? I hope so because if you knock them out it leaves more interesting games :). There was so much hooplah made over Twilight Princess and Gun at the time for being cross-gen (and all the talk now about Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs), seems silly peeps are against a concept page.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee

Also I wonder if there could be a concept where we have pre-gen games eventually getting ported to their, relatively speaking, next gen, alongside this theoretical page listing games that are simultaneously released across separate generational hardware. Stuff like RE4 getting ported to the Wii, Bully to the 360, Godfather to the 360, Far Cry to the Wii, Resident Evil 2 & 3 to the Gamecube, and so forth.

EDIT: Although... it's really no different than HD collections nowadays, and I suppose technically there are a vast number of 'next-gen ports' considering what you can find in the marketplace and PS-store in their classics section.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yeah HDificiation is so rampant that'd be a super slog to get through. Though I'd love to have a word to describe games like Final Fantasy, which were released under different names/numbers and have so many different editions with different cutscenes, translations, loading times, difficulties and so on.

True generation gap games seem much rarer, and so a little more worthwhile to detail? Maybe that's backwards...