Some potential ideas for the next Far Cry game?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Wemibelle

I just received a survey in my e-mail from Ubisoft, asking me to complete a survey based on my experiences with Far Cry 4 (which I just finished). I was bored, so I decided to go ahead and do it. There was plenty of interesting information to glean from it--such as it asking me who the main character was, almost as if to trick me into saying I hadn't played it--but one part stuck out to me in particular: this image.

No Caption Provided

There are some interesting potential setup ideas for the next Far Cry game here, a few of which I would really like to see them tackle (such as sci-fi). I know we probably can't glean much from a survey like this, but maybe it will have some impact on FC5?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Oh shiiiit, Far Cry is going to become a yearly franchise...

The Alaska one seems the best. That could be cool. But seriously.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I'm kinda torn between a Vietnam War setting (gimme that M79) or an honest-to-goodness follow up to Blood Dragon.

Then again, there might not be enough in the latter setting to make a full-sized game... so I'll just stick with the former

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Far Cry game where you play as a string of spaghetti sounds pretty cool, I guess.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Far Cry game where you play as a string of spaghetti sounds pretty cool, I guess.

As long as everything else in the game was super serious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just hope that whatever Far Cry 5 is, it's fundamentally different. 1, 2, and 3 are all very different games and, as much as I loved 3, it super bums me out how little 4 changes.

But that probably won't happen, so whatever.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet the question "How does a two to three year break sound to you?" wasn't anywhere to be found.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'd like a full on Blood Dragon spinoff series.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd like to see them try a female protagonist. The main characters of all the past Far Cry games have been dreadfully boring. A different gender might mix things up a bit.

In terms of the setting, I want to hunt dinosaurs.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lysergica33 said:

I bet the question "How does a two to three year break sound to you?" wasn't anywhere to be found.

Nope!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Oh shiiiit, Far Cry is going to become a yearly franchise...

God, I hope not. Annualization ruins great games

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bargainben

I want a Blood Dragon 2 that works in about half of those settings through time travel.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Been rooting for Dinosaurs since Far Cry 3, ain't stopping that now.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see them try a female protagonist. The main characters of all the past Far Cry games have been dreadfully boring. A different gender might mix things up a bit.

It still baffles me that Far Cry 2 didn't have any female protagonists. A few of the friendly mercenaries were female, but you were only allowed to play as the male ones...

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: dinosaurs to far cry is what japan is to assassins creed

Least that's what I worried about

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Co op that actually works would be nice!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

In terms of the setting, I want to hunt dinosaurs.

Yes. Not to mention T-Rex mounts.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Western and Mad Max ideas sound awesome, but there is really just one answer: BLOOD DRAGON 2: FULL RETAIL RELEASE. Rex Power Colt is the best and that game was just hilarious.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really don't see how the character being a different gender will make any difference. If they have the same writers the main character will be boring regardless.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

How about jetpacks. Just full on jetpacks, all jetpacks, all the time.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pete0r

If you didn't pick dinosaurs and more blood dragon I really have no hope for the series.

I was going to comment about it being too difficult to model a female protagonist, but then the idea of first person 2015 jiggle physics and JP: Trespasser blew my mind.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire Jerry O'Connell and make a fps of Sliders.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see a Far Cry 2 set in Alaska, but not a Far Cry 3 or 4 set in Alaska, if that makes sense. But if they are moving away from Far Cry 2, then dinosaurs would be pretty great.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if the next protagonist is male or female, just don't make them some inexplicably badass 24 year old.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Dragon 2? Yes.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

The Nemesis System.

I say they set it in the jungle again, fire all their writers and just don't bother with a story at all if that's what it takes to get the resources to do it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be cool if there were an open ended survival mode of some kind. With permadeath and all that kind of stuff.

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UrbanSanta

No more wing suits. Jetpacks.

How about jetpacks. Just full on jetpacks, all jetpacks, all the time.

This guy knows what's up!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jay_ray

How about a futuristic sci-fi setting with dinosaurs? Jetpacks, lasers, and cyborg dinos.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The dinosaur idea sounds FUCKING AMAZING.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hatking

Gameplay and setting haven't been the problem for me, yet. They seem to do well with this stuff pretty well, and I think a lot of that is because they haven't leaned on anything yet. God, please don't do zombies. And I'd prefer they not do a Blood Dragon 2 because I think that thing was really cool as a standalone piece, though I would appreciate another bizarre, smaller one-off project of the ilk.

I think they really need to work on what they want these games to be from a narrative standpoint, because so far they can't seem to make up their mind between a really clever commentary on action games tropes or a run of the mill 'destined savior' story.

All that said, I fucking love goofy dinosaur stuff, and was just talking to some friends about how wildly under-utilized they are in modern video games. We get six zombie games a year, but we're lucky if one t-rex makes an appearance? Bullshit.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of an historical Far Cry game set during the Mongol Conquests. First person, running around vast plains and mountains on a sweet horse with a dope-ass bow, finding giant piles of skulls scattered all over the place.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yo if I could put all 3 of my votes in the dinosaur category I would. Alaska sounds cool though too if they implemented survival stuff like keeping warm and eating and such

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got it! I got it! Check this out: You go to a tower, climb it, and then that opens up the rest of the map!

Sounds awesome, right? Right?!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By monetarydread
  1. Alaska
  2. Peru
  3. Vietnam

I would play all three of those games, even if they were released at the same time.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My idea for the next Farcry game is not to make a next Farcry game for another 5 years or so. Give a franchise a break for a change and let it's absence build both anticipation and genuine radical change. How is it that all of like 3 studios on the planet understand this concept.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By penguindust

After reading the list, all I could think about was the Simpson's episode where Bart & Lisa were in an Itchy & Scratchy focus group.

@jay_ray said:

How about a futuristic sci-fi setting with dinosaurs? Jetpacks, lasers, and cyborg dinos.

I like this answer but as long as it is realistic with believable characters and choices that truly impact the story.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Alaska sounds pretty neat, the prospect of a Far Cry game with dinosaurs is too blinking brilliant to let slip away.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would like bigger birds that try and randomly attack the player. Maybe even carry you off to their nest. If were talking Dinosaurs then get some pterodactyls in the next game please.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

My idea for the next Farcry game is not to make a next Farcry game for another 5 years or so. Give a franchise a break for a change and let it's absence build both anticipation and genuine radical change. How is it that all of like 3 studios on the planet understand this concept.

Because all of those other studios are owned by publishers with shareholders who want to make money, creativity be damned. I'm not saying it's right or I agree with it, but it's obviously the reason why it keeps happening. Coming up with new ideas that are both profitable and creative is hard. Cranking out another version of a game a lot of people liked is likely going to make a good deal of money AND be easy to build on the engine from the old game. Win-win for those shareholders.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

A full blown big budget Blood Dragon 2..would be kinda dope and just make it as Stupid as fucking possible. Flying vehicles, flying Blood Dragons, jetpacks, laser vision, yea the more I think about it the better that sounds take the reigns off even more than Blood Dragon 1 just go fucking insane with it, make a god damn video gamey game.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should put it on a submarine and the game is about day to day life on the submarine. All of the same systems they've had in Far Cry 3 and 4 - weapon upgrades, hunting, wingsuit, flame tech, stealth - just no animals or people or guns or wilderness to explore apart from the parts of the submarine you're authorised to go in to.

No one would expect that.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

Because all of those other studios are owned by publishers with shareholders who want to make money, creativity be damned. I'm not saying it's right or I agree with it, but it's obviously the reason why it keeps happening. Coming up with new ideas that are both profitable and creative is hard. Cranking out another version of a game a lot of people liked is likely going to make a good deal of money AND be easy to build on the engine from the old game. Win-win for those shareholders.

It's a win-win right up until the point that the studio/publisher collapses under their own idiocy by essentially wearing out their customer base at which point the company spends every living moment circling the drain.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: That would be the part most publishers don't think about until it's too late. As evidenced by countless examples of it happening in the games industry in the last decade.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DonPixel

I would like to see bigger towns, possibely urban areas, they sci fi setting sounds pretty cool too. Now if UBI goes yearly for this franchise... pretty much a dead sentence.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE. ALWAYS ADD DINOSAURS.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Far Cry 2's African setting was absolutely compelling and unique. Maybe not for Far Cry 5, but some time in the future I'd like to see the setting get another shot.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my God oh my God oh my GOD.

There's not a single one of these I don't like. If this is their real pool then god damn am I on board.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just start the Shangri-la one with dinosaurs added to it and turn it into Turok reboot at some point, then also make a seperate Far Cry 5.