Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Oh man Yoshida actually did it? During the E3 Letter From The Producer Live someone surprised Yoshida with Lighting being dressed in Miqote clothes. They asked if it was okay and he said yeah, that now they had to do something as well.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is a joke, they have been pretty good with justifying new additions into xiv arr with how the lore turned out but this might just be stretching it.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By M_Shini

So i heard this would be a special event, which would basically be the close equivalent to the holiday events that usually end up going on and for a limited time and that they would be making a dungeon that lighting would be your helper in for it to earn the lighting costume for female, and snow costume for males, as well as a few XIII themed weapons.

Apparently it will be happening around February next year and the premise is she is visiting different worlds which i guess fits in some way with the whole time travel n world stuff going on in XIII-2 but still is a bit off for me.

Also those Monk weapons are massive.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously don't get that people are losing their shit over this. It's a god damn video game. Relax.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MarkWahlberg

'FFXIV will feature Costume Quest'

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zirilius

That Taru (Lalafell) looks awesome. Glad to see them doing stuff to make the game more interesting.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I want to see everybody dressed as Lightning forever

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just makes me sad. The other references in FF14, like Onion Knight gear, is relatively small and works in the universe but it just seems excessively cheap to have a costume and entire quest about characters from a different game.
Regardless of it being Lightning, who I strongly dislike, I dont want quest chains to centre around Cloud or Zidane or anyone from the other games. If they need to bring references make it smaller like FF11 where you had similarly named weapons rather than wholesale copying of characters.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@pazy said:

This just makes me sad. The other references in FF14, like Onion Knight gear, is relatively small and works in the universe but it just seems excessively cheap to have a costume and entire quest about characters from a different game.

Regardless of it being Lightning, who I strongly dislike, I dont want quest chains to centre around Cloud or Zidane or anyone from the other games. If they need to bring references make it smaller like FF11 where you had similarly named weapons rather than wholesale copying of characters.

I don't see why this is so depressing. It's fanservice being used as a promotional tool, but it's hardly offensive or out of place in a game like this.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pazy said:

So I take it you hate the Magitek engines as well?

I like the fan service they are doing for this game. Additional content is great in these kinds of games as they tend to get very stale very fast.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Oh wow, that actually excites me. I want to dress up like Lightning!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pazy

@hailinel said:

@pazy said:

I don't see why this is so depressing. It's fanservice being used as a promotional tool, but it's hardly offensive or out of place in a game like this.

If they need to use fanservice to promote the game then it makes me worry about the game itself. If the game was as good as they say, and I've seen playing the Beta, they shoulden't need to use other games to sell it. It should be able to stand itself but its hard to make a completely unique world if Lightning is going to turn up in the story and then people dressed as Lightning and Snow are going to be hanging around.

I also find it to be entirely out of place in the setting they are using.

@zirilius said:

@pazy said:

I like the fan service they are doing for this game. Additional content is great in these kinds of games as they tend to get very stale very fast.

I have no great care for the Magitek engines, Ive never played FF6, but I don't want them to be a large part of the game either. I think things like Chocobo's and Moogle's get passes since they are use in so many games but individual things like Magitek and characters like Cloud should stay in their own universes to allow the new universes to actually stand on their own.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pazy said:

@hailinel said:

@pazy said:

If they need to use fanservice to promote the game then it makes me worry about the game itself. If the game was as good as they say, and I've seen playing the Beta, they shoulden't need to use other games to sell it. It should be able to stand itself but its hard to make a completely unique world if Lightning is going to turn up in the story and then people dressed as Lightning and Snow are going to be hanging around.

I also find it to be entirely out of place in the setting they are using.

@zirilius said:

@pazy said:

I have no great care for the Magitek engines, Ive never played FF6, but I don't want them to be a large part of the game either. I think things like Chocobo's and Moogle's get passes since they are use in so many games but individual things like Magitek and characters like Cloud should stay in their own universes to allow the new universes to actually stand on their own.

Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG. These games are always subject to promotional content and crossover items, and the idea of Lightning popping up in a Final Fantasy MMO ranks incredibly low on that scale of offensiveness.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I want to dress as Auron. Also talk like Auron with Auron's theme.

Actually, just let me play Auron.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG. These games are always subject to promotional content and crossover items, and the idea of Lightning popping up in a Final Fantasy MMO ranks incredibly low on that scale of offensiveness.

The MMO's I have played haven't been and certainly haven't been subject to its pre-release. I dont mind a crossover item here or there but the game isnt even out yet and they are using other games content to sell it. Though its not so much lighting that ranks of the scale of offensiveness, though I dont find here to be a bad character, its the fact they are using her to promote FF14 rather than using FF14.
It dosent engender confidence if the best you can come up with to promote an item is "comes with a free bit of a different item", like buying cereal to get the stupid toy rather than telling me the cereal is tasty.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pazy said:

@hailinel said:

The MMO's I have played haven't been and certainly haven't been subject to its pre-release. I dont mind a crossover item here or there but the game isnt even out yet and they are using other games content to sell it. Though its not so much lighting that ranks of the scale of offensiveness, though I dont find here to be a bad character, its the fact they are using her to promote FF14 rather than using FF14.

It dosent engender confidence if the best you can come up with to promote an item is "comes with a free bit of a different item", like buying cereal to get the stupid toy rather than telling me the cereal is tasty.

Final Fantasy XIV has been out for a couple of years now. Just because they gave it a new name and a new client doesn't disguise the fact that it's version 2.0 of the original game. Besides that, they've been doing a lot of promoting of ARR on its own merits with gameplay and other such videos that do a great job of demonstrating it on both the PC and PS3 platforms.

Further, this is just a goofy-cross promotion. The announcement of Lightning in Final Fantasy XIV is just following on the heels of last month's announcement that Lighting has a Mi'qote costume in Lightning Returns (among various other FF-themed costumes based on characters ranging from Cloud to Yuna). It's no different than Dissidia Duodecim featuring an Aya Brea costume for Lightning and The 3rd Birthday featuring a Lighting costume for Aya.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Final Fantasy XIV has been out for a couple of years now. Just because they gave it a new name and a new client doesn't disguise the fact that it's version 2.0 of the original game. Besides that, they've been doing a lot of promoting of ARR on its own merits with gameplay and other such videos that do a great job of demonstrating it on both the PC and PS3 platforms.

Further, this is just a goofy-cross promotion. The announcement of Lightning in Final Fantasy XIV is just following on the heels of last month's announcement that Lighting has a Mi'qote costume in Lightning Returns (among various other FF-themed costumes based on characters ranging from Cloud to Yuna). It's no different than Dissidia Duodecim featuring an Aya Brea costume for Lightning and The 3rd Birthday featuring a Lighting costume for Aya.

I don't like the amount of cross-promotion in Lighting Returns either because again I feel like they aren't trying tell me how good the actual game is just hoping that I like other things that they are showing me. If they were really confident in Lightning Returns then they could just show me Lighting Returns, if its good ill buy it.

Though I know they are showing FF14 itself but its not even out yet and they are using other things to promote it. They should at least wait until the game is out before they start trying to shoe-horn in other stuff to increase sales.

Im still looking forward to FF14, Ive been in since the Alpha and have been really enjoying it, and ive been enjoying the original characters and story's that Ive seen so far. I would rather they promote the original work going on there than the work that Ive already seen years ago.

Its fine that you dont mind all the random cross-promotion but I find it makes it harder for me to immerse myself in the world and truly enjoy myself. Its one of the reasons I find it harder to play F2P MMO's since despite their apparently medieval/magic style setting they turn up in Bikini's and School Uniforms with giant wings and glowing feet. In a game like WoW I was able to just turn enjoy myself since everything had its own context since even things like the steam powered technology was part of the lore and throughout the world, as opposed to in one single quest or only in gear on the Paid store.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pazy said:

@hailinel said:

I don't like the amount of cross-promotion in Lighting Returns either because again I feel like they aren't trying tell me how good the actual game is just hoping that I like other things that they are showing me. If they were really confident in Lightning Returns then they could just show me Lighting Returns, if its good ill buy it.

Though I know they are showing FF14 itself but its not even out yet and they are using other things to promote it. They should at least wait until the game is out before they start trying to shoe-horn in other stuff to increase sales.

Im still looking forward to FF14, Ive been in since the Alpha and have been really enjoying it, and ive been enjoying the original characters and story's that Ive seen so far. I would rather they promote the original work going on there than the work that Ive already seen years ago.

Its fine that you dont mind all the random cross-promotion but I find it makes it harder for me to immerse myself in the world and truly enjoy myself. Its one of the reasons I find it harder to play F2P MMO's since despite their apparently medieval/magic style setting they turn up in Bikini's and School Uniforms with giant wings and glowing feet. In a game like WoW I was able to just turn enjoy myself since everything had its own context since even things like the steam powered technology was part of the lore and throughout the world, as opposed to in one single quest or only in gear on the Paid store.

They're not promoting the games solely based on the costumes, though. That is the point I am trying to make. And no one is forcing anyone to use these bonus costumes.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

They're not promoting the games solely based on the costumes, though. That is the point I am trying to make. And no one is forcing anyone to use these bonus costumes.

I know they are promoting it with other things I just wish they weren't promoting it using other games. Its their choice on how to market it but im free to dislike it, seems cheap.
Sadly, however, it means the costumes are still in the game so while I'm trying to enjoy myself in the world of FF14 people will turn up looking like Lightning and Snow. Its great that those people get to enjoy themselves but it makes it harder for me to enjoy myself when elements from outside of FF14 turn up, especially things as recognisable as Lightning costumes and at some point the actual Lightning character.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immersion in an MMO doesn't make any sense, you're surrounded by other players that are constantly doing and saying things that make no sense in that world. Is the thing that pushes your immersion over the edge really that the roegadyn in your party named Hurts Donut, who's talking about how he has to logoff soon because his mom won't let him stay up, is wearing Snow's outfit? Really?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Square Enix thinks that they've stumbled on a goldmine of quality with FFXIII and I just don't see it. XIII was a just plain bad game. I never bothered trying XIII-2 though I did hear it was better.

@levio said:

I want to dress as Auron. Also talk like Auron with Auron's theme.

Actually, just let me play Auron.

I would play FFXIV: ARR if they did that.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i want some more of the eidos side of the square-enix crossovers to happen. adam jensen, agent 47, lara croft, raziel.

imagine kane & lynch as lalafell.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zirilius
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo

i want some more of the eidos side of the square-enix crossovers to happen. adam jensen, agent 47, lara croft, raziel.

imagine kane & lynch as lalafell.

Oh my god. If I could get an old-school Lara Croft outfit for my highlander, I would be the happiest ffxiv player in the world...until they added costumes from FFX-2. Then I would die because no one man should have all this happy.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Snarkasaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snarkasaur

I think adding the 13 stuff to 14 is more appropriate than the other way around, simple because Lightning wasn't designed to wear that cat costume (clearly, she looks super awkward and it kind of diminishes her bad-assery).

I think an MMO Final Fantasy is the perfect place to import stuff from the other games. There's no continuity to the Final Fantasy games, so using the online FF as a base for unifying the series is a really interesting idea. I don't necessarily want to see a Kingdom Hearts style free for all of characters imploded into the game, but the Magitek thing is wonderful, and brief cameos by some memorable FF characters would be really heart-warming to those of us who've played all these games from the start.

edit: (this also makes me want to play a female character because who the hell wants to dress up as the worst character in FF history (Snow))

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By M_Shini

Kinda agree with you snark, mainly since i don;t really think lighting is the sort of woman to want to dress up all half naked and sexy like, just doesn't fit her personality to me.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WarlordPayne

Those pugilist weapons are insane.

The event itself sounds weird, but not enough for me to really care.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snarkasaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers