Haven't seen the TV Show, will this be for me?

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hello!

I really enjoy the recent telltale games (walking dead, the wolf among us), so I'm planning on getting tales from the borderlands soon. But I'm wondering if I should get this as well.

From what I've heard of this (mostly on Bombing in the AM I guess), it sounds fairly self-contained and separated from the TV show and books. Do you guys think this game will be any fun for someone who knows nothing of game of thrones?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I don't think you need to have seen the show to enjoy the game. There are a few references in the game to some major events that happened in the show that are just going to go right over your head, though. It was a big moment for me at a certain point when I realized the story that was playing out was happening alongside events I remembered from the show. It should be fine, it seems like Telltale went out of their way to make sure seeing the show or reading the books weren't requirements to enjoying the game.

Most characters in the game aren't portrayed in the show at all, at least the ones you play as. You do meet and talk to some characters that are central to the show's storyline though...so again, none of that stuff is going to resonate with you in the same way.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The story itself is fairly self-contained so you don't really NEED to have read the books or seen the show but I honestly believe that you won'T get full enjoyment out of it without any prior knowledge of the back story. I highly recommend watching the TV show up to at least the end season 3 before playing it.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warpr

@mb: sounds good, thanks!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah you'll get more enjoyment if you at least watch the first 3 seasons of the show. ten episodes each, not too long.

But no the game is pretty self contained. It spoils the show though, which will suck for you.

Feral_Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't NEED to watch the show or read the books but a lot of things will make a lot more sense if you at least watch the show. I was going to just play it without watching it, but decided at the last minute to pick up the show. I was caught up with the show the beginning of this month and jumped right into the game, and I was kinda glad I took the time to watch the show because I understood what was going on in the game and knew who characters where and what to expect of them. It actually made it easier for me to play lol

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you enjoyed Wolf and didn't read Fables, you'll be able to enjoy this. I'm starting to feel like the Telltale style is wearing thin, but I'm as eager to see this one through as I was for TWD and Wolf.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

You won't get some of the importance of certain characters you talk to throughout the game and that may make you feel out of the loop.

The books or show isn't required to play through and enjoy the game, but it wouldn't hurt.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Never read the books, never seen the show but I've really enjoyed this so far. From what I understand, only a few characters in the game are from the show, the rest are specifically for the game.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the actual plot is self contained, I don't see how someone would understand what is going on or what their choices actually mean without having an understanding of the characters and the basic background structure of the world. For example, that person would have no idea what being "sent to the wall" means, so how would they know whether to make that decision?