Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2014

Concept »

The eleventh PAX Prime took place August 29-September 1, 2014 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

GB-heavy, Fan-made video of PAX Prime 2014

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By NathHaw

I captured roughly 100 gigs of video, which made this job the most difficult one of these videos I've made. I still enjoy the whole process starting with turning on the camera to finally uploading the edited piece to Youtube. You can see my other videos as past blogs or less GB-focused on my Youtube channel (Katsucon for example).

This video took a little while to complete mostly due to my hefty workload in the Navy plus tons of footage to evaluate. Sometimes it's difficult to decide what to keep and what to cut. One thing helped this matter this time however. The camera I used was not the one I had used in the past. This current one is a much cheaper model with not-so-great sound, so unfortunately I had to cut out the interviews. Actually, I had hoped to make two videos with all the footage, but the sound prevented the second video.

Anyway, hope you like it. It's pretty Giant Bomb-centric with several appearances from friends of the site.

((Thanks to Kevin MacLeod and his website, Incompetech.com, for the free-to-use, royalty-free music used in this production. The songs in order are: Latin Industries, Tossed Salads & Scrambled Eggs (the theme from Frasier (not from Incompetech.com), Cephalopod, Chipper Doodle v2, Go Cart - Drop Mix, Pinball Spring, Electrodoodle, Killing Time, Babylon, Aitech, Who Likes to Party, Ridin' (not from Incompetech.com), Blipotron, Informer (DJ clip, not from Incompetech.com), Klockworx.))

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I'm clicking around and it looks super well done. I'll have to check this out!

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's quite long, so it might be one of those things to come back to. Thanks anyway.

Avatar image for ninjawizard1730
    ninjawizard1730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is awesome

dobschutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

subscribed lol :D

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome

subscribed lol :D

Thank you both. I love making these. Blizzcon coming up in November. Hope they let me in the door with a camera. Blizzard is so strict, even at conventions like PAX.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember your PAX East video! It was incredibly intimidating!

Stop making the rest of us video enthusiasts look bad!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, gotta love how you said you had to toss a lot of footage, and this time the video is even longer

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

That was great dude. You could probably do this stuff for a living.

Bummer about the second video and interviews! Woulda been great to get some talking in there, but it's kinda oddly relaxing as it is.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not loading on my phone but favorited until I get home.

Dilemmaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great job :] I agree with the guy above. You could do this for a living!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wonder if people that wear socks and sandals outdoors are doing so as a form of protest like screw society I'm going to look as bad as I can because fuck it.

Great editing - good camera work - overall quality work!

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really well made video duder!

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By endoworks

Very nice sir!

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By DannyHibiki

A+ for the use of the Frasier theme :D

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NathHaw

@cooljammer00 said:

I remember your PAX East video! It was incredibly intimidating!

Stop making the rest of us video enthusiasts look bad!

Haha. Thanks. It is intimidating even to me. Once I got home and really had a chance to see all the footage I had, it was difficult to even decide where to begin...and then I just began. Eventually, it turned into something--not exactly what I'd originally wanted due to technical difficulties, but it did become something watchable, I guess.

@theht said:

That was great dude. You could probably do this stuff for a living.

Bummer about the second video and interviews! Woulda been great to get some talking in there, but it's kinda oddly relaxing as it is.

You have no idea how depressing it was after all that work. Glad it still turned into something you enjoyed.

@tehbull said:

Not loading on my phone but favorited until I get home.

Hope you get to see it. Tell me what you think if you get time. Appreciate it.

@dilemmaly said:

Great job :] I agree with the guy above. You could do this for a living!

That's the goal one day. I made a big life change to get into broadcasting, which is what I'm trained to do in the Navy, along with public affairs and journalism. Granted, this video isn't professional by the standards of news stories I do, but it's really difficult to haul in a tripod and do these kinds of shows the right way--especially to do them quickly, running around and capturing as much footage as possible. My dream is to do video production for a video game website, so I appreciate the compliment.

@humanity said:

I wonder if people that wear socks and sandals outdoors are doing so as a form of protest like screw society I'm going to look as bad as I can because fuck it.

Great editing - good camera work - overall quality work!

Great, and thanks. I just wish the camera I was using on this project wasn't junk. There was a lot of footage I had to toss, because the camera couldn't stay focused. That's in addition to all the sound quality I lost from the camera as well. Sometimes you really have to cut a scene a frame before the camera loses whatever it was you were going for. It's amazing how sloughing through so much unusable stuff can end up with a video that's not too bad. I suppose it forced me to work within my means, which can be rewarding when you see an OK, final product that wasn't exactly what you'd planned it would be.

@hero_swe said:

Really well made video duder!

Thank you. I have said before that it is always fun to do these, but they are a lot of hard work. I have the camera in hand 95 percent of the time. PAX Prime is four days, so it's even an extra day of shooting over quite a few other conventions. I sometimes feel as though this is what I'm meant to do, because they say that you should do what you love--and this is a labor of love for me. It's exhausting at night when I get back to my hotel room and want to crash, but I realize I still have to upload all of my footage to my laptop. Even after that is done--and I know I should head straight to bed to get up early--I can't help but look through a ton of the footage I have from the day, wondering exactly how it is going to fit together or be discarded.

@endoworks said:

Very nice sir!

Thank you. Hope you can check out my other ones sometime, older ones and ones yet to come.

@dannyhibiki said:

A+ for the use of the Frasier theme :D

So glad you approve. I thought it would resonate with some Giant Bomb fans.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That was great! Made me feel like I was there. Thanks for the video.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NathHaw

@monkeyman04 said:

That was great! Made me feel like I was there. Thanks for the video.

Thank you, and if you ever get the chance, can afford it, and haven't before, go. PAX is a great time--either this one or PAX East. Who knows? Maybe the new San Antonio PAX to come soon will be awesome too.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to ask. I've never just gone out to an event like that and filmed people, how do people react when they see you?

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NathHaw

@hero_swe said:

I have to ask. I've never just gone out to an event like that and filmed people, how do people react when they see you?

I smiled when you asked that, because sometimes it can be difficult to decide what to do. The real, honest truth is I think most people get nervous but like being on camera nonetheless. Some do not like the idea of being recorded of course. If they look as though they don't like it or say they don't, I turn off recording and don't use it.

If somebody is unaware I'm recording and then reacts negatively after seeing I am, I judge the situation seriously whether I should use the footage or not. For context, when you agree to go to these conventions, you implicitly agree (through the site FAQs or whatever) that you are OK with maybe being recorded or having your picture taken. Still, everybody knows that when we agree to these conditions, we don't always anticipate all situations that may come up.

Let me give you an example from the video I want to reference specifically: In the video when you see John Vignocchi, there is a lady hugging him. I had footage of her on multiple occasions--even one of her at the mic during the We Survived the Internet, And So Can You panel. I didn't use any of it except the small bit I did use. After she hugged JV, she cried. She had turned around with tears in her eyes and it would have made for some emotional, great video to capture. However, she asked that people back up and give her some space. I took that as my cue to stop recording. What I had already recorded of that moment after she turned around...I wanted to keep and show, but I chose not to in order to honor her implied wishes (to have space and not be seen by that small crowd or who might see a video with her moment). I made the compromise to show her from the back with her hugging JV where you couldn't see her face and cut off the footage before she turned around.

I usually ask if it's OK to record first, especially if it's a recording focused mainly on one, non-public figure in the spotlight. I have forgotten sometimes (for an unspecified example, when I get only a few seconds to record behind a company's booth wall) to ask first, and then someone mentions something like, "Hey, you should ask first." I immediately apologize and then ask for permission. It's sometimes so fast-paced. If the person being recorded is OK after that, then I'm good to use it if needed.

In short, I won't use footage of somebody's face or who is easily identified if that person does not want to be recorded. This isn't exposé journalism; it's just fun.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good work on the Cards Against Humanity segment.

Some of the music transitions are a bit brusque compared to the visuals while others were pretty damn good.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NathHaw

@hassun said:

Good work on the Cards Against Humanity segment.

Some of the music transitions are a bit brusque compared to the visuals while others were pretty damn good.

Thank you for the critique. You're absolutely right. I think the video needed more work, especially in the sound and music. There's no doubt that I was proud of some of what I did, but sometimes after watching the video back, I wish I had noticed how the music not-quite-flowing-together didn't work. In some cases, it was probably a matter of being up so late that I just didn't catch it...even though I watched it all over and over.

I sometimes think that making these videos is somewhat like Phil Fish said about making Fez (paraphrasing): You are seeing the creation process so much repeatedly that the product seems to work when it doesn't necessarily for others on first viewing, and you don't see all the faults. I get that so much after I've had a few days away from it and have watched it again. Also, some of the music I just had to search for for hours (literally). I couldn't find what fit right and could be used freely. I settled on what could have been better with more time.

I notice so much now that I wish I could have made it better. There is definitely a fatigue that sets in and allows things to get by that wouldn't happen on a shorter video, no doubt. Again, thank you for the critique. I welcome it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hassun

@nathhaw: I think that's applicable for most things. Looking back on things from a bit of distance will reveal more flaws.

But of course, as you do it more often, you get better at it as well.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#23 Marino  Staff

@nathhaw: Awesome work. You're basically doing the video version of what I do with photos during PAX.

You're on the front page of the site now.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino said:

@nathhaw: Awesome work. You're basically doing the video version of what I do with photos during PAX.

You're on the front page of the site now.

Yeah, you're right about my version or your stuff. This one like PAX East. Appreciate it.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Marino  Staff

@nathhaw: I'm curious, how much of your PAX is spent doing the video shoot? I typically spend most of one of the days doing my photos. Sometimes I split it between two days depending the panel schedule.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NathHaw

@marino: I mentioned it in one of the earlier comments, but it's almost all of every day (all four in this case) with my limited capacity. I do nearly nothing but record the entire time, taking time to eat and transit between locations. The cool thing about it is that I see so much. When you're making sure you cover the whole thing as much as possible (and missing several floors and hotels regrettably along the way) wanting to capture all there is, you cover the majority of great stuff as much as possible. I've thought about this in that I'm lucky I get to see so much even if I'm working. I do see things several times over and wonder what I've missed...still.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Marino  Staff

@nathhaw: That's pretty much exactly how I feel doing what I do. There's a documentarian aspect to it for sure.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: The cool thing about being a "documetarian" is that I'm always under pressure to show what really happened. At the same time, I want to make sure the project is entertaining. It's a fine line.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Amazing! Great job :D

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathhaw Just got around to watching this. Really excellent work duder! Looking forward to more videos! I wasn't able to attend either PAX this year, so I extremely appreciate the hard work in allowing us to still enjoy it on some level.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bboys2231: @wunder_: Thank you. Hoping I can find the time for the San Antonio PAX. Fingers crossed.

As long as I have the funds and can muster the time, I will continue going to these events.

Couldn't go to San Diego Comic-Con this year, for example, because I was out to sea in Hawaii.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Super late to this but I wanted to make sure I got around to it and it did not disappoint.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames: Better late than never, and thanks.

Making these convention videos is actually a good way to get to talk to a lot of people. Some people shy away, but many convention goers like to discuss their experiences.

Plus, I push myself to see more than I might have without working on the project.

Warren2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

32:36 I love video games people...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.